nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
i have just seen that Hana HI97105 is out on the BRS website
the price of it 395$

what do you think about it? is it going to be best to pick for testing ?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there weren't all these recent indications of reporting errors and mass testing discrepancies due to issues with reagents I might be inclined to look at one. I used to think that Hanna was the gold standard, but now I'm somewhat inclined to migrate back towards standard titration kits like Nyos, Red Sea and Salifert.

OP
OP
nmo0ory

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there weren't all these recent indications of reporting errors and mass testing discrepancies due to issues with reagents I might be inclined to look at one. I used to think that Hanna was the gold standard, but now I'm somewhat inclined to migrate back towards standard titration kits like Nyos, Red Sea and Salifert.

i only use hanna KH test
just bought po4 and no3 test as well still didn't arrive, i alwyes use Salifert
but from what i read the hanna ca test is not that good i am not sure if they fix this here
also the reagent used in this machine look different than the stander one

1x HI780-0 Marine pH reagent (30mL)
1x HI772S Marine Alkalinity reagent (30mL)
1x HI7581U Marine Calcium reagent A (30mL)
1x HI7582 Marine Calcium reagent B starter kit (reagent for 25 tests)
1x HI782-0 Marine Nitrate High Range starter kit (reagent for 25 tests)
1x HI764-0 Marine Nitrite Ultra Low Range starter kit (reagent for 25 tests)
1x HI774-0 Marine Phosphate Ultra Low Range starter kit (reagent for 25 tests)

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sounds great, hopefully there are more like this in the near future. Wondering about reliability but I guess we will have to see

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this any different then the regular checkers, other then you have 1 "machine" and not 5.

Already have all the hanna's I like to use, do not see how this is any different. It still uses reagents, you still have to do each test separately. The only advantage this has is again just 1 machine to read all the test, instead of 5 different "eggs".

At $50 an "egg" this is substantially more money for no real advantage in my eyes($250 for all 5 "eggs", or $400 for an AIO)

OP
OP
nmo0ory

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this any different then the regular checkers, other then you have 1 "machine" and not 5.

Already have all the hanna's I like to use, do not see how this is any different. It still uses reagents, you still have to do each test separately. The only advantage this has is again just 1 machine to read all the test, instead of 5 different "eggs".

At $50 an "egg" this is substantially more money for no real advantage in my eyes($250 for all 5 "eggs", or $400 for an AIO)

same what i was thinking
its almost the same
the machine can do 7 not 5 cuz like po4 low and high
but it dose not matter that much i think still more expensive
also as one of my friend told me if it Brock you lose everything
with the "egg" if something happen to one other will still be working

also reagent seem to be different and still not available tell now as i was searching for it

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my Hanna checkers, won't be spending money on kits I already own. The ONLY thing that would have made me take a closer look would have been a MG tester. But I already own most of those
ZomboMeme 27102021214830.jpg

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The other concern is that if it breaks you lose everything. You’re unlikely to break all of your individual checkers at the same time.

The logging function is nice but that’s the only advantage I can see.

If it did all the measurements simultaneously then that would be a different story. I’ll stick with the eggs.

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was interested just because I don't have any yet and was thinking about getting a few of these testers soon. So I am waiting and really didn't read anything at all yet about this one. Was hoping it was a all test at the same time type thing but if it is not and if you cannot get the regents yet then why buy it. Also I can't even remember last time I tested for nitrite besides during the cycle.
Without reading I was excited it would test all at 1 time, so now not so excited lol

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was interested just because I don't have any yet and was thinking about getting a few of these testers soon. So I am waiting and really didn't read anything at all yet about this one. Was hoping it was a all test at the same time type thing but if it is not and if you cannot get the regents yet then why buy it. Also I can't even remember last time I tested for nitrite besides during the cycle.
Without reading I was excited it would test all at 1 time, so now not so excited lol
For someone like you who doesn't have any I can see looking into it, but my biggest fear is the if it breaks or malfunctions the replacement cost will be high. If an individual tester breaks it's $50.
I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket, but it is cool.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my Hanna checkers, won't be spending money on kits I already own. The ONLY thing that would have made me take a closer look would have been a MG tester. But I already own most of those
ZomboMeme 27102021214830.jpg
Sus.

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For someone like you who doesn't have any I can see looking into it, but my biggest fear is the if it breaks or malfunctions the replacement cost will be high. If an individual tester breaks it's $50.
I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket, but it is cool.
I would imagine Hanna will be pretty keen to troubleshoot/replace since it’s so new. Down the road that will probably change tho.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And in terms of cost, it has 8 tests, which equate to about $50 per test (i.e. the same as the eggs).

However, how many people regularly test Nitrite? And I only need HR Nitrate (not LR). If you’re not interested in other tests (I have a PH probe and their egg calcium test doesn’t have the best reviews) then you’re paying for stuff you don’t need.

Usually for an item like this there would be a cost benefit, such as $300 for the 8 tests, but there is no cost benefit in buying the single unit. In fact it is actually cheaper just to buy the ones you use.

I am a gadget man and I like the toys, but this one really appears to be attempting to solve a problem that isn’t there.

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a minute - you still have to do each test separately?

No time savings or convenience???
That’s the only issue I have with it really. Would have been cool to somehow have it test everything at once. Tho I’d imagine it’s still quicker than having to store, open, and use each egg individually. For someone like me who only has one checker for nitrate and would like more digital testers this is neat haha

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s cool for sure but I can’t say it would be worth the money to me. I never check nitrate and really only check nitrates and phosphates once or twice per week. Plus I really don’t like the phosphate checker for Hanna. Hopefully we see more products like this though!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised Hanna didn't include like a 20 test all in one piece of equipment... getting you more I'm bed with them buying reagents

...much like Printer companies who make the majority of their profit selling ink cartridges, Hannas true money making cash flow is selling you reagents at a $1 a test (and 98cent profit in their pockets)

The name of the game for Hanna is to get you to buy reagents as often as possible. Their equipment only gets you to buy the extremely profitable reagents

Last edited:
Back