New Hanna Marine Master Available in BRS

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just not possible for most parameters?

Correct. Varying from hard to impossible, technically challenging (read expensive), susceptible to interferences, needing frequent calibration, etc.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gerry dee cbc GIF by Mr. D

OP
OP
nmo0ory

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have some valid points about if you already have them, it wouldn’t make as much sense, especially if it breaks. However, there are a few differences with the all in one Marine Master. It can log up to 10 different aquariums and stores up to 200 tests in a log. If you put them in an Apex or the like, it won’t matter that much, but it’s nice to have. If you get sidetracked while waiting for the timers and it turns off before you come back, it’s automatically stored, so you don’t have to retest.

it’s also got a sealed testing vial, so it always sits in the right way, doesn’t allow in any light, dust, etc. it also uses the same reagents as the eggs. Another neat thing from the video is it has step by step instructions on the screen, so you don’t have to pull out the paperwork for the ones you don’t memorize. Supposedly, it also lets you calibrate them to a standard, unlike what I’ve found with the eggs. If they’re off, you can change the calibration from what I’ve seen. It’s also IP67 waterproof, in case someone wants to dump it in the aquarium lol.

However, it wouldn’t make as much sense for those that have all of the checkers anyway, unless they want to pay a premium for those extra features.

i think what they should do is connecting the machine to everything else at less out mobile phone
now even chines stuff are connected to mobiles
at less logs or anything
also they did it for the reefer they should at less make a connection to apex for example to get the data automatic from it to the apex
but no there is nothing good about it

i was thinking to get one for me but after lot of thought and readying most of the comments i won't get it

SaltySkipper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be staying with the individual test units. I like avoiding a single point of failure, and at this price point that’s what I see it as. As a product manager, I would recommend market research from your community members before bringing something like this to market. At minimum and at this price I would expect it have Bluetooth access to an app used on a smart device. And second, minimize the number of reagents needed to be used so I can get more test done in shorter period of time. I’d pay $800!

Attachments

• A14A1B48-CC5D-4981-AD82-F4249E43454C.jpeg
    A14A1B48-CC5D-4981-AD82-F4249E43454C.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 74

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to echo what others have said in hopes
Hanna is reading this.

Losing the ability to do multiple tests at the same time actually increases the overall testing time and was the deal breaker for me.

It’s also so expensive! The draw for combining multiple units into one is instead of buying them all individually you can buy a single unit for a cheaper price. Not to mention you’re presuming everyone wants all those tests. There’s only 4 there for me so $200 v $400 is a no brainer.

As someone else pointed out I would have to imagine, like printer companies, Hanna’s real profit is in the reagents. (Nitrate HR $1 per test). So do what the printer companies do; sell the testing units at next to nothing, people buy loads of them and in turn need tons of your expensive reagents.

Finally, the biggest let down, it’s not an auto tester. :( I would have paid $500 if there was an accurate Hanna tester that let me take one sample of water and plug in one reagent cartridge, to get 7 different water parameters. Ohh man what a dream!!:D

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
This doesn't make sense financially.

You can get just what you need for half that price. Separate eggs are just a much better deal. Besides, if one goes bad, you just replace that. If this goes bad, well you are .....d.

Notepad and pen still work if you need to go back to results from 2 months ago or record it in Fusion if that's your thing; at least here you can also visually graph it.

Stain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is stupid. I see Hanna likes to take advantage of our hobbyists. I will not support them. This literally makes no sense.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Notepad and pen still work if you need to go back to results from 2 months ago or record it in Fusion if that's your thing; at least here you can also visually graph it.

There's so much more they could have done with that screen for that price.

Why does this not graph the results? What about a calendar/reminders that prompt you when you need to do a test, according to your schedule? Even without Wifi and an app, surely they could have added a simple port for exporting the data to a PC.

And on the videos, how excited were the reviewers getting about not needing a screwdriver to change the batteries! Even if testing every parameter every day you would only need to change the batteries every 3 1/2 months (according to the specs). If this is the most exciting thing about the product then something is really amiss.

At least people who want one won't have the same problems with stock levels as with the Nitrate HR checker. I can't see these flying off the shelves in the same way.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
And on the videos, how excited were the reviewers getting about not needing a screwdriver to change the batteries!

I laughed at that too. At least now I know the screw is a problem. I saw it in my nightmare last night. It's comical.

OP
OP
nmo0ory

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not for nothing, but if one of the major selling points is all your "eggs" in one basket(one unit with a snazzy carrying case), I already have all my "eggs" in one basket. Along with a few other testing supplies.

20211101_102516.jpg

look nicer than there box :p
i think the new box is good for a pet shop or something like that to save everything automatic for them and there client

Boiler93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re right with the exception of the calibration, I believe. From what I watched on the BRS video and the Saltwater Aquarium.com video, there is a way to calibrate to a standard solution that’s supposedly included.
I bought one. The testing calibration standards are optional and not included.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back