New Harlequin Tusk: Am I paranoid???

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this HT from LA this past Saturday. He's about 5 inches. It's been about 3 days in QT. Seems like his day/night have been switched. During the day he's pretty docile. Eats a few PE mysis I put in there. He's not eating a lot. I'll put clams and shrimp in and he's not interested at all. But at night time (about 8:30 pm) he becomes active and swims around. Not eating though. Is this normal and will the HT need more time to adjust? I might be over reacting. Just I've been waiting on this fish for a while. Thanks.

OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me how to attach a video file on this thread. thanks.

OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is him at night time. Seems like he's trying to find food. But when I put food in he doesn't eat.

OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is him during the day. Still pretty shy... I guess I might be too overly concern.

RandyT5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds normal. Mine does the same, first one up in the morning and is active till the lights go out. Then wedges himself between the filter intake and the glass to go to bed, since apparently, the PVC in the quarantine tank isn't small enough for his liking.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sounds normal for a new introduction. If he is more active at night- how bright are your lights during the day? Try tuning those down a bit and see if that helps

Steve Blum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a HT he has been most active at night but starting to swim now in day time

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mention not eating much, that would be a concern, try a variety of foods and give him what he likes most. If he stops eating completely it's only a matter of time before he dies. He might be stressing on the small and unnatural look of the quarantine tank enough so that his appetite is suppressed. Hopefully in the next couple days he gets a little more comfortable and starts eating whenever food is present.

OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a HT he has been most active at night but starting to swim now in day time
Mine was like that for about 10 days or so. Now he’s pretty active during the day and sleeping at night.

OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the harlequin. He is eating everything I put in there. Larry reef frenzy and chucks of silver side. He’s still in quarantine right now. I am going the give him to a friend when the quarantine is over. I am expecting a 2 inche aussie juvenile harlequin tusk tomorrow from piece of the ocean. He’ll be in a different quarantine tank. Will update tomorrow.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back