New harlequin tusk. How and what foods should I feed

J-DOGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello this is my first post, so thank you in advance for any responses. I just acquired a harlequin tusk and have it in quarentine. I tried to feed krill and silversides using a feeding stick bit it was not intrested.. i am curious if anyone has any tips to try to get it to eat and not creating a bunch of uneaten food and fouling up the tank .

Attachments

• IMG_0105.MOV
    23.4 MB

Mmun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello this is my first post, so thank you in advance for any responses. I just acquired a harlequin tusk and have it in quarentine. I tried to feed krill and silversides using a feeding stick bit it was not intrested.. i am curious if anyone has any tips to try to get it to eat and not creating a bunch of uneaten food and fouling up the tank .
I have one. They will eat anything. Give it a couple of days. Shy at first

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine also eats anything including pellets and flake. I would not feed with a stick as the stick is probably scaring it. Drop a muscle or clam in for it (I get then from the grocery store). I would be more concerned with it eating than fouling the water. In a QT it shouldn't be to hard to net or siphon the un-eaten food

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on a great fish!

My tuskfish loves the LRS frozen blends! The variety of meat choices are great and you can see what the fish really prefers at first, but intimate it will eat all of it.
Don't try getting it to eat with larger chunks of food. They are a shy fish that might be intimidated by big chunks and the feeding stick. Once settled in, they'll eat just about anything.

Good luck!

OP
OP
J-DOGG

J-DOGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clams on a half shell! they will investigate and should love them!
So I got some , abou
Mine also eats anything including pellets and flake. I would not feed with a stick as the stick is probably scaring it. Drop a muscle or clam in for it (I get then from the grocery store). I would be more concerned with it eating than fouling the water. In a QT it shouldn't be to hard to net or siphon the un-eaten food
thank you.. about how long should I leave uneaten food in?

My tuskfish loves the LRS frozen blends! The variety of meat choices are great and you can see what the fish really prefers at first, but intimate it will eat all of it.
Don't try getting it to eat with larger chunks of food. They are a shy fish that might be intimidated by big chunks and the feeding stick. Once settled in, they'll eat just about anything.

Good luck!
about how long should I leave a clam on the half shell in before I take it out? I put one in yesterday and the fish was not really interested .. i only left it in for a half an hour

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very beautiful fish. Is your fish from the Philippine or Australia?
A1B47E06-8FA2-41E4-AA09-68E6B1CCEB6A.jpeg

OP
OP
J-DOGG

J-DOGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clams on a half shell! they will investigate and should love them!
So I got some , abou

Good luck!
about how long should I leave a clam on the half shell in before I take it out? I put one in yesterday and the fish was not really interested .. i only left it in for a half an hour o
It is a Indonesian . I didn't have a preference . I just really like the species.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it in copper? If in copper, it may not eat for awhile.

OP
OP
J-DOGG

J-DOGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed today with paraguard. It doesn't seem stressed by it , it has been flashing so I figured I would try what I have read is not as harsh as other treatments . It has no visible signs of parasites or wounds of any kind. But I know they are sensitive when stressed so I am trying to be careful but also proactive .

OP
OP
J-DOGG

J-DOGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got some , abou

about how long should I leave a clam on the half shell in before I take it out? I put one in yesterday and the fish was not really interested .. i only left it in for a half an hour
Thnks for the tip.. he is still shy of clams and krill. But he went after some mysis shrimp. So thats what I will continue with until he is more comfortable.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed that they'll eventually eat anything. This is one of my absolute favorite fish!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back