New here, and i have a question

Nick McTurner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody. My name is Nick. I am new to saltwater this year but have been running fresh water tanks for almost 30 years.
I started with a 30 gallon breeder that has been up for about 4 months but I would really like to move it to a 40 gallon instead.
Is this as straightforward as it should be or are there things I should be concerned about? My plan is to move all the sand and rock and then all of the water and then all of the fish.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody. My name is Nick. I am new to saltwater this year but have been running fresh water tanks for almost 30 years.
I started with a 30 gallon breeder that has been up for about 4 months but I would really like to move it to a 40 gallon instead.
Is this as straightforward as it should be or are there things I should be concerned about? My plan is to move all the sand and rock and then all of the water and then all of the fish.
Yes it’s as easy as that, worth giving the sand a quick rinse with some saved tank water, just don’t go adding any other fish after the move as the bacteria will be able to support the fish you have, after a couple of weeks you should be fine to slowly add more.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use completely new sand and than just transfer all rock and filter media and you can immediately transfer all fish. Using your old sand will cause a new cycle to occur with a big ammonia and nitrate spike as sand contains a lot of organic matter build up.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move rocks, then rinsed sand, then fresh saltwater. Let things settle, then move fish over. No reason to save old water.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use completely new sand and than just transfer all rock and filter media and you can immediately transfer all fish. Using your old sand will cause a new cycle to occur with a big ammonia and nitrate spike as sand contains a lot of organic matter build up.
It’s a new tank, the bacteria from the sand would all be lost, giving the sand a quick rinse would keep the bacteria and not cause a cycle.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back