New here! Our 20g and soon 125!

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Been lurking here for a while and finally decided to register. My wife and I are absolutely in love with this new hobby!

We have had fish all of our lives (I'm 34, she's 31) so we're not new, but we are new to salt. She has wanted a salt tank since we've been married. I finally took the plunge and started a 20 gallon nano for now. Little did I know how much I'd love it.

We've got a Percula Clownfish, a Gladiator Clownfish, both around an inch and a half long. Also have a White Lined Combtooth blenny. On order we have a Royal Gramma, a few snails, and a Fire Red shrimp. Believe we should be at our limit for this tank with that much of a bio load. The clowns have become my favorite fish of all time. Absolutely love them.

We just started corals, with a green mushroom, and pom pom xenia. The mushroom is doing great, but the xenia looks awful after 4 days. No clue what to do with it. Our numbers are where (I believe) they should be.

Anyway, I have a 125 non drilled freshwater tank. We're wanting to turn it eventually to our main display tank and it be saltwater. I'm going to be buying a 75 and letting her have my 125. I would also much rather have the salt be the bigger tank now as well.

With running a full planted tank with fertilizer, is there anything to worry about with making it saltwater? Or do I just do a good cleaning and let it roll?

I'm not wanting to get it drilled if possible. I'd like to run 3 of the big seachem tidal filters, and just do normal water changes. For some reason, I'm nervous with the big salt tank.

Wed like soft, easy corals to begin with, so any light recommendations would be great. Not top of the line, but definitely want to get into other ones eventually.

Sorry this got long, but any info would be appreciated!

Last edited:

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!
Personally, I'm not a big fan of converting freshwater tanks to SW, but others have done and and are very successful.
Don't be afraid of having a bigger tank. In many ways, a bigger SW tank is a LOT easier to care for than a small one. And since you've been running a 20g without issues, the big tank should be a nice change.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back