New here/Unconventional setup/new to hobby/LOVE IT

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! the tank is now properly braced and not so much as a creak from the ikea shelf. ill keep you updated
I personally wouldn’t chance that amount of weight on a ikea compressed board stand without reinforcements of some kind ie metal or 2x4 construction. It might be fine at this moment but I wouldn’t have piece of mind at all . Just my opinion !!!

OP
OP
rudy3

rudy3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rudy, I don't get much detritus because I use gravel and a reverse undergravel filter. The detritus is there in the gravel so about twice a year I stir up the gravel with a diatom filter. You can use your Fluval with floss.

Like this. I just moved the tank here then,4 years ago so it wasn't very dirty. I am running my diatom now and you can barely see in the tank. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

VERY awesome Paul, i watched a few more of your youtube videos, your tank is incredible!

OP
OP
rudy3

rudy3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn’t chance that amount of weight on a ikea compressed board stand without reinforcements of some kind ie metal or 2x4 construction. It might be fine at this moment but I wouldn’t have piece of mind at all . Just my opinion !!!
I very much appreciate your opinion and I am taking it into consideration and looking for other furniture options.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I very much appreciate your opinion and I am taking it into consideration and looking for other furniture options.
Not trying to force you but what I know of ikea furniture is the it basically is held together by 4 wooden dowl rods per edge . And being made of compressed board . It’s not meant to hold that kind of weight and if it gets moisture ??? Forget about it . I just want you to be successful out of the gate because it would be a shame if you get it all set up and running , put a lot of hard work and money into it for it to come crashing down and possibly get someone hurt or create damage to your house or worse !!! Everything in life requires a strong base to build upon and your tank is no exception. That’s a awful a lot of weight for this type of stand , personally I wouldn’t put a five gallon on it . Your free to do as you wish and it’s just my opinion . I wish you the best of luck !!!

OP
OP
rudy3

rudy3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to force you but what I know of ikea furniture is the it basically is held together by 4 wooden dowl rods per edge . And being made of compressed board . It’s not meant to hold that kind of weight and if it gets moisture ??? Forget about it . I just want you to be successful out of the gate because it would be a shame if you get it all set up and running , put a lot of hard work and money into it for it to come crashing down and possibly get someone hurt or create damage to your house or worse !!! Everything in life requires a strong base to build upon and your tank is no exception. That’s a awful a lot of weight for this type of stand , personally I wouldn’t put a five gallon on it . Your free to do as you wish and it’s just my opinion . I wish you the best of luck !!!
Again, very much appreciated and wise words. Im searching for a replacement :)

Tyler360

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Aboard Hasan Minhaj GIF by Patriot Act

OP
OP
rudy3

rudy3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, i wanted to share an update of the tank, it's been just over 3 months since setting up my tank and everything has been going... OKish, loosing chromis is normal and after reading other posts it is normal for others aswell. I had a sailfin who died and a chalice coral that bleached and got overrun with diatoms. I would consider my tank on the downswing of the uglies at the moment. Here are the updates since i added the bracing:

• added 6 Chromis
    • 4 died
  • added 2 Ocellaris
  • added CUC
    • conch
    • 2x snails
    • 2x hermit crabs
    • cleaner shrimp
  • added small Xenia
  • added medium zoa rock (purple with green fingers and green mouth)
  • added ATO
  • added skimmer
  • added digital heater
  • Added sailfin tang and 4 more chromis
    • 2 died
    • sailfin died
  • added Philippines yellow tang
  • added chiller
  • added Auzzie black torch
  • added blue/hippo/dory tang
  • added 1/2 HP chiller
  • pink bubblegum zoa
  • star polyps
  • cinnamon polyp
  • Duncan
  • brittle star

asd.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, i wanted to share an update of the tank, it's been just over 3 months since setting up my tank and everything has been going... OKish, loosing chromis is normal and after reading other posts it is normal for others aswell. I had a sailfin who died and a chalice coral that bleached and got overrun with diatoms. I would consider my tank on the downswing of the uglies at the moment. Here are the updates since i added the bracing:

• added 6 Chromis
    • 4 died
  • added 2 Ocellaris
  • added CUC
    • conch
    • 2x snails
    • 2x hermit crabs
    • cleaner shrimp
  • added small Xenia
  • added medium zoa rock (purple with green fingers and green mouth)
  • added ATO
  • added skimmer
  • added digital heater
  • Added sailfin tang and 4 more chromis
    • 2 died
    • sailfin died
  • added Philippines yellow tang
  • added chiller
  • added Auzzie black torch
  • added blue/hippo/dory tang
  • added 1/2 HP chiller
  • pink bubblegum zoa
  • star polyps
  • cinnamon polyp
  • Duncan
  • brittle star

asd.jpg

Welcome! Glad you joined.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). Everything you've already done above you could copy over to the other Forum area to start that new build thread, then you can claim your badge.

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
rudy3

rudy3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). Everything you've already done above you could copy over to the other Forum area to start that new build thread, then you can claim your badge.

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Great suggestion, yes ill do that!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back