0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

cgripp256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomato and Maroon clowns are very nasty and will in time , Not hesitate to bite your hand and move stuff around in the tank
Definitely second this. I love my lightning maroon but shes a DEMON. She is fine with the other tank mates but will charge the glass and even jump at the surface when a human gets close. I think shes part piranha.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome here, nice to meet you. Looks like you are off to a good start. As for advice I would eliminate that fluval and put it on your fresh water tank. It would be detrimental for a salt tank unless you run it empty just for circulation. The bacteria in your rock is all the filtration you need, but you may need more rock.

A skimmer would be a much better choice but you don't need anything yet. In a few weeks I would add a small crab or snails and feed them. Think of the bacteria as the most important thing in the tank. If the bacteria aren't happy, neither will your livestock as the bacteria, although we can't see them, are the most important thing there.

The bacteria run the tank and you are only there to give the bacteria something to make fun at. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Good luck.
Paul :D

PS I also don't have a sump or refugium and my tank is very old and healthy.

OP
OP
rudy3

rudy3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome here, nice to meet you. Looks like you are off to a good start. As for advice I would eliminate that fluval and put it on your fresh water tank. It would be detrimental for a salt tank unless you run it empty just for circulation. The bacteria in your rock is all the filtration you need, but you may need more rock.

A skimmer would be a much better choice but you don't need anything yet. In a few weeks I would add a small crab or snails and feed them. Think of the bacteria as the most important thing in the tank. If the bacteria aren't happy, neither will your livestock as the bacteria, although we can't see them, are the most important thing there.

The bacteria run the tank and you are only there to give the bacteria something to make fun at. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Good luck.
Paul :D

PS I also don't have a sump or refugium and my tank is very old and healthy.
Thank you for the knowledge Paul! What do you do for the detritus? Also yes, I agree that I require a skimmer, in fact I have one on the way .

Last edited:
OP
OP
rudy3

rudy3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world Rudy. Good job so far. Take things slowly. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.
Thank you so much, and thank you. This is a perfect hobby for me because it is a project that will never be complete, will never be perfect, and requires a lot of patience. I tend to run my life in the opposite way so this is teaching me to slow down and smell the roses.

OP
OP
rudy3

rudy3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul! What do you do for the detritus?
Rudy, I don't get much detritus because I use gravel and a reverse undergravel filter. The detritus is there in the gravel so about twice a year I stir up the gravel with a diatom filter. You can use your Fluval with floss.

Like this. I just moved the tank here then,4 years ago so it wasn't very dirty. I am running my diatom now and you can barely see in the tank. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back