New here!

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Lauren! Nice to see a fellow lady reefer! I do not see anything in your tank that would mean death and destruction! FB is for drama, come here for actual helpful info. Do slow down and take your time. With a small tank even small changes/additions will have a much larger impact.

OP
OP
Lalaallieu

Lalaallieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome :) :) !! The diatoms are normal in a new tank....nothing to worry about. Also, for what it is worth, I would trust the Salifert tests over the API tests. I am actually kind of surprised your LFS uses API.

Their tanks are always crazy dirty. Covered in nasty algae they never wipe off. They have no saltwater fish selection and barely a coral selection and the zoas they have are white.

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Lauren! Nice to see a fellow lady reefer! I do not see anything in your tank that would mean death and destruction! FB is for drama, come here for actual helpful info. Do slow down and take your time. With a small tank even small changes/additions will have a much larger impact.
Hey Leslie,sidenote.... I am just curious . One of my childhood friends last name was Tim Tabor . We played football in school growing up in NC. I was curious if that is you or your husbands kin since I haven’t heard of the last name Tabor hardly at all.

Thanks!

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Leslie,sidenote.... I am just curious . One of my childhood friends last name was Tim Tabor . We played football in school growing up in NC. I was curious if that is you or your husbands kin since I haven’t heard of the last name Tabor hardly at all.

Thanks!
I don't believe so, my hubby's family is pretty much born and bred Austin MN. Another fun fact, after my grandmother passed away I found out she was born in Tabor MN which up to that point, I had no idea it existed. Small world on occasion!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to your new reefing family. Tank looks good.
Resized_20190530_191335.jpg

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatom bloom is a normal end of cycle thing... I always say when you see that your tank is ready... as for everything else... too much in and out with rocks and stuff, remember the old rotisserie comercial... just set it and forget it. Go slow. Put the rock work you like and let it be for a bit. Add inhabitants slowly. And get some of your own test kits. If a LFS is using api test kits, for me personally I woudnt trust their numbers, or most of their advice for that matter lol.

Welcome to r2r, nevermind those facebook doom and gloom groups. You can find all the answers you need right here.

OP
OP
Lalaallieu

Lalaallieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are super welcoming! I appreciate it. My sand bed looks pretty bad when I woke up today (I turned my light on when I left the house today, I'm in nursing school. Currently in Pharmacology) but the rocks looked pretty clear. I have one pretty big snail that's super awesome at cleaning the rocks. I can only find the two I just bought and not the first two I purchased. I know I need to take this slow, but before I posted this I'd already ordered some new Zoanthids. I got some La lakers, captain americas and BBEB, but the seller shipped them priority instead of next day air so they will be here tomorrow. I purchased on Monday, they shipped Wednesday. Is there anything I need to do to prepare my tank, and any special way to acclimate them? They've been without light for awhile, so I'm worried about that. I usually put them in a tall bowl I have (I also make cookies in this bowl, don't tell my kids) and then pour a cup of tank water in there every 10min or so. I use this bowl because If I use my 5gallon bucket usually there's not enough water in the tank to cover the bottom and the coral. So I use something else. I acclimated my snails, crabs and toadstool like this and they were all okay, but I know some people drip acclimate and I don't have that ability.
I know a lot of you dip corals probably. I don't have anywhere locally I can get something like that as my LFS doesn't dip their corals and these zoanthids should be here tomorrow. What should I do?
How do you all feel about pico tank jars? I've seen a lot of videos on youtube and I think it's so neat! Is it an expert only thing though? Just curious if anyone's ever done one.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back