New here...

HIP-oboe-85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I've kept freshwater aquariums for several years, and a few months ago, decided to take the plunge into saltwater, despite all those decades-long rumors I've heard about the difficulty and expense of it.

First try didn't go so well. Conflicting information from so many sources, and I lost a little over $200 worth of fish within about 5 minutes. My guess is a), the tank wasnt properly cycled, and b) I got ahead of myself and added too many fish at once. It was devastating to see these beautiful creatures die and be powerless to stop it -- not to mention the hit to my wallet. But, I'm about 4 weeks in to the "new" cycle -- finally saw a spike in nitrites, and a drop in both that and ammonia. It's just a waiting game. I *think* things are going well so far. The hermit crabs, snails, copepods, and bristle worms carried in on my live rock are still alive, anyway...

I joined here because, while my LFS can be helpful, they all work on commission: each visit tantamount to a sales pitch with a huge price tag. Hoping to find some help and info here that isn't relying my ignorance to pay their bills!

Cheers!

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be patient when adding fish and if you can, qt the fish Before adding to the tank. 4 weeks is that time when you can add fish and be ok. Take your time with everything. lets see the tank.
giphy.gif

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also double and triple checking parameters. For fish to die that fast I wonder if a few diff factors didn't play in. What do you check salinity with? Also temp tank, people tend to keep tanks in the 78° range. Fish can live with some nitrates.
So 1. Temp of tank
2. Salinity
3. What fish you plan to add first
Certain fish are hardier than others and are good for a newer tank.

OP
OP
HIP-oboe-85

HIP-oboe-85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had cycled the tank for about month, and water parameters and salinity was perfect, according to the lady at my LFS. My understanding was the tank would cycle with live rock and live sand, so I never introduced an ammonia source and didn't think about testing my water during that first cycle.

Anyway, she said I was ready for fish, so I picked out a stunning coral beauty and a royal gramma. Over the next few days I added a yellow watchman goby, a small clown, and a fire hawkfish. Things were perfect for about a week.

I came home from work, and the CB swam out almost as if to greet me -- I thought, "finally, they're used to the tank and swimming happily", and then he free fell. And then darted to the other end and free fell again. Then the fire hawkfish fell over. And the gramma went. Within about 20 minutes, they were all gone.

My only guess is there was not a sufficient amount of ammonia to cycle the tank properly, and adding too many too quickly caused a spike, and that was that. My own fault.

I resituated my rock, with some new pieces today, and the water is a bit cloudy from that, but I like the look of it.

20201029_173446.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had cycled the tank for about month, and water parameters and salinity was perfect, according to the lady at my LFS. My understanding was the tank would cycle with live rock and live sand, so I never introduced an ammonia source and didn't think about testing my water during that first cycle.

Anyway, she said I was ready for fish, so I picked out a stunning coral beauty and a royal gramma. Over the next few days I added a yellow watchman goby, a small clown, and a fire hawkfish. Things were perfect for about a week.

I came home from work, and the CB swam out almost as if to greet me -- I thought, "finally, they're used to the tank and swimming happily", and then he free fell. And then darted to the other end and free fell again. Then the fire hawkfish fell over. And the gramma went. Within about 20 minutes, they were all gone.

My only guess is there was not a sufficient amount of ammonia to cycle the tank properly, and adding too many too quickly caused a spike, and that was that. My own fault.

I resituated my rock, with some new pieces today, and the water is a bit cloudy from that, but I like the look of it.

20201029_173446.jpg
hi, are you running skimmer?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

20201029_173446.jpg
Sounds like too many fish too soon and an elevated bio load and oxygen saturation . Shame on the pet store for boosting their sales while giving poor recommendation. Start with one fish and feed Very lightly. If all is good, add another 2 weeks later and wait til 3 weeks later to add another.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back