New Hi Fin goby breathing fast

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this Hi Fin about 2 days ago now. He went into a quarantine and earlier today I got him to eat. He ate well and everything seemed fine. I went to work for about 6 hours and when I got back he is pale and breathing fast. I was about to start copper treatment and I assume that is what I am going to ramp up to 2.5ppm by the morning. Let me know if that sounds right to you guys.

video in comments.

Edit: forgot to mention there are no white spots or anything so I am afraid this is velvet because of how fast it came
on.
Edit: He isn't really reacting to me when most of the last 2 days he has been terrified of me. That, the paleness, and elevated breathing are the only symptoms I have.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The QT is a 10 gallon. It has an airstone and a seachem tidal 55 with a media bag I had floating in my AIO chamber for a month.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The QT is a 10 gallon. It has an airstone and a seachem tidal 55 with a media bag I had floating in my AIO chamber for a month.
The media bag will have to go as it will remove copper. This fish does not handle copper well and should not be higher than 2.0 and I dont see a need for copper as there are no notable spots or symptoms of ich. In the future, get to copper level in 24 hrs and do not ramp up as ramping slowly can allow disease to gain resistance making it tougher to treat the disease.
Assure temperature-salinity and ammonia are not elevated. Other causes are stress and gill flukes.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The media bag will have to go as it will remove copper.
The media is actually matrix media so it should be ok.

This fish does not handle copper well and should not be higher than 2.0 and I dont see a need for copper as there are no notable spots or symptoms of ich.
I didn't know they're copper sensitive. x( but that is why I am posting here :). do I have to do TTM or should I get him near 2.0 for 30 days?
Or would you just quarantine and hope he pulls through?
In the future, get to copper level in 24 hrs and do not ramp up as ramping slowly can allow disease to gain resistance making it tougher to treat the disease.
Thank you I have heard about ramping before but I trust you more than them. I will only take till the morning to be sure I don't overshoot and test after a couple doses.

I will now triple check temp/salinity/ammonia.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia badges are not very useful. Red Sea ammonia is showing elevated ammonia. My media was not cycled with enough flow.

I am going to transfer him to another 10 gallon I have running with some rocks in it.
I think I won't treat him and just observe for a month or so

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ammonia badges are not very useful. Red Sea ammonia is showing elevated ammonia. My media was not cycled with enough flow.

I am going to transfer him to another 10 gallon I have running with some rocks in it.
I think I won't treat him and just observe for a month or so
TTM ok but we’re not conclusive if parasitical
Need more info on behavior of fish, eating or not, etc

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM ok but we’re not conclusive if parasitical
Need more info on behavior of fish, eating or not, etc
I am moving him out of the poorly cycled QT and into a rock tank I have. It is just a 10 gallon I was tossing live & dead rock in for safe keeping so it is well cycled. Once he is in that tank I will just observe him for a month and make another post if I notice more symptoms.

He ate well earlier today. With the 1.2 ammonia test result I think that is my only problem right now.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am moving him out of the poorly cycled QT and into a rock tank I have. It is just a 10 gallon I was tossing live & dead rock in for safe keeping so it is well cycled. Once he is in that tank I will just observe him for a month and make another post if I notice more symptoms.

He ate well earlier today. With the 1.2 ammonia test result I think that is my only problem right now.
Yes if accurate, bring the ammonia down with a series of water changes

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if accurate, bring the ammonia down with a series of water changes
It seems easier for me to just toss him into this live rock 10 gallon I have. If he gets sick I can fallow it NBD and it will be well cycled so I won't have to worry about ammonia build up.

I just fear it will be a lot of work managing ammonia in this QT. He was only in it for 2 days and ammonia is already up over 1 ppm. However, I could toss more cycled media in to the tidal filter and do water changes but I need to warm up my water and then lower it to 33 ppt.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It seems easier for me to just toss him into this live rock 10 gallon I have. If he gets sick I can fallow it NBD and it will be well cycled so I won't have to worry about ammonia build up.

I just fear it will be a lot of work managing ammonia in this QT. He was only in it for 2 days and ammonia is already up over 1 ppm. However, I could toss more cycled media in to the tidal filter and do water changes but I need to warm up my water and then lower it to 33 ppt.
What kit are you using for ammonia?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My first questions was going to be about the ammonia level, seems like that is the issue. Hopefully, the ammonia didn't cause any lasting damage, but that it is eating again is a really good sign.

Jay

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first questions was going to be about the ammonia level, seems like that is the issue. Hopefully, the ammonia didn't cause any lasting damage, but that it is eating again is a really good sign.

Jay
He ate yesterday day and the ammonia build up was after work. I haven't tried to get him to eat yet but I just did my second 5 gallon water change. It is about 8.5 gallons total. I also put some ceramic media I had in one of my aquariums into the tidal since I was not using medications yet.

I'll try to get him to eat after a few hours to settle back down.
Will test ammonia again here soon too.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is now 0.2-0.3 after my water changes.
I just fed and he reacted strongly. He is very hungry still. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back