NEW HI98319 Hanna Waterproof Salinity and Temperature Tester

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reefdom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the temp probe in it mean it adjusts salinity if the water temp is over or under 25c for example? At the moment I am heating my salt mix to that temp in order to check salinity correctly with a refractometer. Does this mean I won't have to do that?

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine, too! It's fan-freaking-tastic!

The only thing I'm concerned about is, I'm noticing a black sort of smudging between the probes. Almost like graphite. Has anyone else noticed this? I've never touched them, so I'm not sure what's happening.

Contacting Hanna support for more info, I'm just wondering if it's happening to anyone else, and if it's anything to be worried about?

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! Hanna was super quick to respond, and said it is, in fact, graphite (can’t believe I was right).

You can wipe it off with cardboard, according to them, but it’s, apparently, nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
Hanna Instruments

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine, too! It's fan-freaking-tastic!

The only thing I'm concerned about is, I'm noticing a black sort of smudging between the probes. Almost like graphite. Has anyone else noticed this? I've never touched them, so I'm not sure what's happening.

Contacting Hanna support for more info, I'm just wondering if it's happening to anyone else, and if it's anything to be worried about?

That is nothing to be worried about, it happens when we polish the graphite electrodes before shipping. It will eventually come off but it will not affect the readings. You can wipe it off with cloth or cardboard.

OP
OP
Hanna Instruments

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the temp probe in it mean it adjusts salinity if the water temp is over or under 25c for example? At the moment I am heating my salt mix to that temp in order to check salinity correctly with a refractometer. Does this mean I won't have to do that?

The HI98319 Marine Salinity Tester compensates for the temperature of the water sample between 32.0 to 122.0°F and calculates any difference into the salinity value. Conductivity measurements are very sensitive to temperature variations. HI98319 has an exposed temperature sensor to ensure fast, accurately compensated readings even during sudden temperature fluctuations.

OP
OP
Hanna Instruments

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one is not getting good results with a calibration solution, can it be calibrated it in your tank water (assuming it is 35ppt)
No because you measure your tank with another device which also has an accuracy statement. The 35ppt solution is a potassium chloride standard which is deemed the best option by the International Oceanographic community.

Lor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats the best way to clean and store this?

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is/is there a "most accurate" mode to be in? It seems like PPT would be, since it has the smallest accuracy window, but maybe SG is better?

I guess they'd all be about the same, but I figured I'd ask.

Any suggestions, Hanna?

Thanks for the great support (and products)!

OP
OP
Hanna Instruments

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hanna Instruments

I just tested my HI70024 35PPT calibration fluid with a refractometer, and it measured as about 1.018. Someone else is report the same thing.

Any idea why?
You cannot use our 35ppt calibration solution to calibrate your refractometer, it’s a conductivity standard not a refractometer standard, the technologies are fundamentally different. The refractometer uses a density standard while the conductivity meter uses electrolyte standard which is potassium chloride based.

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot use our 35ppt calibration solution to calibrate your refractometer, it’s a conductivity standard not a refractometer standard, the technologies are fundamentally different. The refractometer uses a density standard while the conductivity meter uses electrolyte standard which is potassium chloride based.

Is it 447 micro Siemens? It would be nice if I didn’t have to buy different fluid for my other conductivity probe on the Apex.

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, bit of s problem on mine. Calibrated properly. Shows 1.022 on both DT and QT tanks, even though I know both are at 1.025. I religiously recalbrate my traditional BRS refractometer, was expecting a minor difference, but 1.022 vs 1.025 is too much of a discrepancy. Will recalibrate both again tomorrow and see what is going on.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received mine today and checked my tank.

My calibrated refractometer reads 35ppt
My Apex conductivity probe reads 35ppt
My friends Orion conductivity probe reads 35ppt
My new Hanna HI98319 reads 33.5ppt

I saw this issue brought up on another thread. The argument being that a refractometer and conductivity measure differently and a refractometer will measure additional components in the water besides salt concentration.

How is it that my other conductivity probes readings are line with my refractometer results and the Hanna is not?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back