NEW HI98319 Hanna Waterproof Salinity and Temperature Tester

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Hanna Instruments

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received mine today and checked my tank.

My calibrated refractometer reads 35ppt
My Apex conductivity probe reads 35ppt
My friends Orion conductivity probe reads 35ppt
My new Hanna HI98319 reads 33.5ppt

I saw this issue brought up on another thread. The argument being that a refractometer and conductivity measure differently and a refractometer will measure additional components in the water besides salt concentration.

How is it that my other conductivity probes readings are line with my refractometer results and the Hanna is not?
Did you calibrate your Hanna meter before you used it?

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I saw this issue brought up on another thread. The argument being that a refractometer and conductivity measure differently and a refractometer will measure additional components in the water besides salt concentration.

How is it that my other conductivity probes readings are line with my refractometer results and the Hanna is not?

Same problem with me above. BRS handheld refractometer is 1.025, same reading with eKoral probe. Hanna reads 1.022 even immediately after calibration. I need to call them tomorrow to sort out if the unit is defective or what.

OP
OP
Hanna Instruments

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Converting conductivity to parts per thousand can vary based on a conversion factor, we use the conversions from the International Oceanographic Tables. Do you know what conversion the Orion conductivity meter uses?

Also our accuracy statement is +/-1ppt at that range, so if you factor in all of the various instruments’ accuracy statements, they most likely are in specification.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot use our 35ppt calibration solution to calibrate your refractometer, it’s a conductivity standard not a refractometer standard, the technologies are fundamentally different. The refractometer uses a density standard while the conductivity meter uses electrolyte standard which is potassium chloride based.
Makes total sense. Thanks!

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Converting conductivity to parts per thousand can vary based on a conversion factor, we use the conversions from the International Oceanographic Tables. Do you know what conversion the Orion conductivity meter uses?

Also our accuracy statement is +/-1ppt at that range, so if you factor in all of the various instruments’ accuracy statements, they most likely are in specification.

I’m sure which conversion Orion uses is just as available to you as it is me, Neptune included.

I have a GHL Profilux showing up today so we can add another conductivity probe to the mix.

I may not be the smrtest but common sense tells me if you use five different tools to measure and only one differs in results it’s either faulty or the wrong tool for the job.

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure which conversion Orion uses is just as available to you as it is me, Neptune included.

I have a GHL Profilux showing up today so we can add another conductivity probe to the mix.

I may not be the smrtest but common sense tells me if you use five different tools to measure and only one differs in results it’s either faulty or the wrong tool for the job.
Well, I recalibrated the Hanna device again (used the last pouch it came with), and it still shows 1.022, while both my manual BRS refractometer (calibrated that right before this test too) as well as eKoral probe, both show 1.025 (where it has been for 5 mos). I will call Hanna tomorrow, the unit I got from them must be defective.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a few things first.

- Take a large cup of water out of the aquarium and test it in that container
- Test freshly made new sea water

If it differs then maybe something in your tank is affecting the reading.

I was planning to test new salt water on Saturday when I do my water change. I will test the GHL probe then as well.

However, if there was something affecting Hanna’s reading, why not the Neptune or Orion probes?

I will try removing water from the tank and testing tomorrow.

Aquaholics4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next step is to put a push button light that lights up the screen...like my digital thermometers for cooking.

Reef-Tank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I got mine from Marine Depot and it was dead on target after calibration it read exactly the same as my Apex Wifi. The reading was this morning before i go to work.

Apex Wifi 35.3 reads PPT
Hanna HI 98319 reads 35.3 PPT the temperature was low about - 0.6°F compare to my apex wifi
Hanna HI 96822 reads 36 PPT but temperature was low about (- 8.2°F) to (- 7.6°F) compare to apex wifi and HI 98319 lol :(

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine last night. Love the design and ease of calibration. Read my tank at 35.4 ppt after calibration compared to just shy of 36ppt for my calibrated refractometer (which always reads ~0.5ppt high because I keep my Mg at 1450)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hanna Instruments

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from Marine Depot and it was dead on target after calibration it read exactly the same as my Apex Wifi. The reading was this morning before i go to work.

Apex Wifi 35.3 reads PPT
Hanna HI 98319 reads 35.3 PPT the temperature was low about - 0.6°F compare to my apex wifi
Hanna HI 96822 reads 36 PPT but temperature was low about (- 8.2°F) to (- 7.6°F) compare to apex wifi and HI 98319 lol :(
thanks for your feedback, the temperature accuracy on the HI98319 Salinity/Temperature Tester is: Temperature Accuracy (@ 25°C/77°F) ±0.5°C; 1°F. Not sure what the temperature accuracy is on the apex but seems relatively close in terms of the reading. Also its important to keep in mind that your sump (where the apex probe usually is) might have a different water temperature compared to the surface of your display. The issue with the refractometer is since it uses such a small sample size it usually only can pick up what the temperature of the sample plate is. So it's best to warm up the refractometer with your hand slightly to avoid drastic temperature differences between the atmosphere and the tank water.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I recalibrated the Hanna device again (used the last pouch it came with), and it still shows 1.022, while both my manual BRS refractometer (calibrated that right before this test too) as well as eKoral probe, both show 1.025 (where it has been for 5 mos). I will call Hanna tomorrow, the unit I got from them must be defective.
I am having the same issue

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To follow up I made a new batch of saltwater (ESV) on Saturday and the Hanna meter reading closer to my refractometer results.

I was in a hurry getting ready to leave town and didn’t take note of the results but will check again when I’m home next month.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you change between units? I'd like the reading to be in F and SG, but they're currently ppt, and C. The instructions that it came with either don't specify, or I'm dumb and I missed it among the wall of words. lol

blurman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got two. Calibrate in the same solution. Put both into tank. Shows 32.2 and 33.2. I tried this twice.
How can you explain it?
52a218ee155cfde16199f7cfce98eb10.jpg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back