NEW HI98319 Hanna Waterproof Salinity and Temperature Tester

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea on what to do? I need a method to find my salinity levels and this was my go to but the reviews might be telling me otherwise

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the meantime I have changed again to the Reflaktormeter. the Hanna is much too uncertain and inaccurate because of the constantly necessary recalibration.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea refractometer... and it literally doesn’t show anything and doesn’t seem to really prove much. Should I get a better one? I also got a hydrometer and that’s also not really reliable.

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe your red sea reflaktometer is defective. I can remember that there were several problems here with those of red sea.

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A refractometer that is calibrated shows Salinity in hopefully 35 ppt and 1.024-1.026 in SG. It is where the blue line meets the white when held to the light. You can calibrate it by turning the screw on top to RO/DI - 0 or solution which is 35 ppt. RO/DI seems to work better for me. Drip on to the lens and close from back to front with no air bubbles. Entire lens should be covered. Read in sunlight because it works the best.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A refractometer that is calibrated shows Salinity in hopefully 35 ppt and 1.024-1.026 in SG. It is where the blue line meets the white when held to the light. You can calibrate it by turning the screw on top to RO/DI - 0 or solution which is 35 ppt. RO/DI seems to work better for me. Drip on to the lens and close from back to front with no air bubbles. Entire lens should be covered. Read in sunlight because it works the best.
I’m unsure because I feel like I have that set the way it is and it still doesn’t work. I could have a defective Red Sea unit. Unsure

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it to a trusted LFS or other reefer. I had a problem focusing mine at first, but a trusted reefer showed me in 2 minutes. They can test it against theirs to see if it is broken. Anyone I know in this hobby will help.

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the Milwaukee digital meter yesterday, admittedly without doing a whole of research of what else is out there. Then I saw this thread today and thought crap, I could have saved a few bucks. But after reading about all the problems most of you seem to be having, I don't feel so bad. Hopefully my meter will be more reliable and accurate.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it to a trusted LFS or other reefer. I had a problem focusing mine at first, but a trusted reefer showed me in 2 minutes. They can test it against theirs to see if it is broken. Anyone I know in this hobby will help.
I guess my biggest problem was that I feel it didn’t change based on the salt water and ro water. Idk sounds silly I know. Maybe I’ll try again. I also don’t have drops I just use ro

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my biggest problem was that I feel it didn’t change based on the salt water and ro water. Idk sounds silly I know. Maybe I’ll try again. I also don’t have drops I just use ro

That is usually a not enough light issue mixed with calibration.

lvzx14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stumbled onto this topic, mine reads about 0.002 lower than my refractometers. So far it has been consistent with that which is more important, curious to see if it stay's this way going forward.

I did get burned on that icecap salinity pen so I was skeptical going into this purchase.

Elcubanodel510

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought one from an LFS that’s kind of far. Went to turn it on to calibrate it now it’s just turning on and off on it’s own shows battery life and shuts off. Emailing Hanna to see if they can fix it.:(

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it seems like many people generally do not know the difference between a conductivity meter and a refractometer.

Refractometers use the refractive index of the water, and can include different items outside of the salinity measurement of the water. It's the same reason why refractometers are used for glucose measurement in wine.

Both are described in detail here:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/index.php

I think it's unfair to expect them to read the same as a refractometer because they're measuring in 2 completely different ways.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn’t read the same but it should match the calibration solution/solutions

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn’t read the same but it should match the calibration solution/solutions
In what sense? Like calibrating it and attempting to read the calibration solution again? It would seem to me the reading would be +-0.01 as the margin of error stated in the instructions.

Anything outside of that I'd probably have an issue with as well.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As in use 2 calibration solutions, that way you can actually validate against known values. One to set and one to check

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As in use 2 calibration solutions, that way you can actually validate against known values. One to set and one to check
Assuming they are both Hanna solutions, any problems should be referred to Hanna.

I'm not sure about the storage of unused solution, although it would seem wasteful to open 2 packets for the purpose of double checking the calibration rather than just performing it again with the same solution....especially for consistency.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back