NEW HI98319 Hanna Waterproof Salinity and Temperature Tester

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

blurman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made some workaround with it. Mixed fresh water with 35 ppt by trusted refractometer. Then calibrate hanna by this water. It is works for me. Occasionally check hanna results by refractometer. It is ok.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those of you who are using this. Would you go with the Milwaukee refractometer instead for a little bit more money? Or does this do the job?

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of you who are using this. Would you go with the Milwaukee refractometer instead for a little bit more money? Or does this do the job?
I had to send mine back in because it failed within a few months, they have worked with me to get a replacement, hopefully it will work better. When working it seemed very close to my refractometer

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had to send mine back in because it failed within a few months, they have worked with me to get a replacement, hopefully it will work better. When working it seemed very close to my refractometer

I use a hanna digital brix refractometer at work and its soo easy. It makes me want to get the Milwaukee salinity version. But this would be the best solution and its cheaper. Still not sure what i should do!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who owns both(milwaukee, and this), I prefer the Hanna. Just plain simple to use.

Mine holds calibration very well. I never knew there was issues till I found this thread. I checked mine for months with a properly calibrated refractometer after I found this thread. Mine is dead nuts, rock solid on calibration, and has not lost calibration in months. Even after I checked with the calibration fluid several months later, it was still in calibration.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As someone who owns both(milwaukee, and this), I prefer the Hanna. Just plain simple to use.

Mine holds calibration very well. I never knew there was issues till I found this thread. I checked mine for months with a properly calibrated refractometer after I found this thread. Mine is dead nuts, rock solid on calibration, and has not lost calibration in months. Even after I checked with the calibration fluid several months later, it was still in calibration.

See now thats what im hoping to hear! I really want to buy one but worry i will regret not spending a bit more on the Milwaukee... maybe some more people will chime in and give me the kick i need to pull the trigger!

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like mine, but it seems I'm in the minority. Not only with the liking it, but also with having one that will hold calibration.

My milwaukee is back in the box and on a shelf.
Nah, I don't think your in the minority. It's sample bias. The people posting in this thread are the ones with problems. I'm sure the vast majority aren't having problems, so they don't post here.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nah, I don't think your in the minority. It's sample bias. The people posting in this thread are the ones with problems. I'm sure the vast majority aren't having problems, so they don't post here.

Ya thats kind if what i was thinking too. Its the same way with everything on the internet...

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welp i ordered one so hopefully it works out well for me. Soo sick of my handheld refractometer...

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.according to BRF, the Hanna is really only to be used in freshly made salt water. Supposedly the dissolved contaminants in the tank may interfere with the accuracy of the readings. Any thoughts or “proof” of this?

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is nothing to be worried about, it happens when we polish the graphite electrodes before shipping. It will eventually come off but it will not affect the readings. You can wipe it off with cloth or cardboard.
So its ok to touch the graphite circles with a cotton swab for cleaning?

OP
OP
Hanna Instruments

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.according to BRF, the Hanna is really only to be used in freshly made salt water. Supposedly the dissolved contaminants in the tank may interfere with the accuracy of the readings. Any thoughts or “proof” of this?

This is not necessarily true, refractometers measure salinity via density while conductivity meters measure salinity via EC salt concentration. There can be some non conductive materials in a reef system that increase the density of seawater that have no impact on the salinity levels. This is often not the case and most of the time users will experience similar readings from refractometers and conductivity meters like our HI98319.

OP
OP
Hanna Instruments

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hanna Instruments

Is it ok to periodically clean the graphic circles with a cotton swab or should we avoid touching them all together?
You can clean it with a brush, paper towel or cloth. It will not damage the probe by touching it or cleaning it. Rinse with RODI water after use in saltwater.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back