NEW HI98319 Hanna Waterproof Salinity and Temperature Tester

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

dumpysauce

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to post a update for anyone dealing with this.
I purchased 2 things. Tropic Marin hydrometer. It’s the one you float in water and it’s supposedly very accurate.
And 2 little fishes calibration fluid. This fluid is supposedly made from ocean water.

i re calibrated the refractometer with the new fluid And the Hanna with the Hanna calibration packets.
the refractometer and the hydrometer both showed the same number.
then I calibrated the Hanna with the new fluid and then all 3 showed the same result.
i am confident the Hanna calibration fluid is what is causing the problems.
I tested all 3 against different salinity levels and they stayed consistent.

my takeaways are this: the cheap refractometer calibration fluid was either expired or not accurate. The Hanna calibration fluid packets are not accurate for some reason. It might be from other elements that make seawater that change it’s reading that are not present in the calibration packet. I trust the hydrometer the most since its supposedly calibrated in the factory and has no way to be altered at home. It’s dummy proof and provides a clearer reading that my eyes can see in a refractometer.
so for now I will trust the Hanna calibrated with the 2 little fishes fluid and check it periodically against the other 2. My alk and calcium are within the estimates from the salt mix now
ymmv

rbarr110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to post a update for anyone dealing with this.
I purchased 2 things. Tropic Marin hydrometer. It’s the one you float in water and it’s supposedly very accurate.
And 2 little fishes calibration fluid. This fluid is supposedly made from ocean water.

i re calibrated the refractometer with the new fluid And the Hanna with the Hanna calibration packets.
the refractometer and the hydrometer both showed the same number.
then I calibrated the Hanna with the new fluid and then all 3 showed the same result.
i am confident the Hanna calibration fluid is what is causing the problems.
I tested all 3 against different salinity levels and they stayed consistent.

my takeaways are this: the cheap refractometer calibration fluid was either expired or not accurate. The Hanna calibration fluid packets are not accurate for some reason. It might be from other elements that make seawater that change it’s reading that are not present in the calibration packet. I trust the hydrometer the most since its supposedly calibrated in the factory and has no way to be altered at home. It’s dummy proof and provides a clearer reading that my eyes can see in a refractometer.
so for now I will trust the Hanna calibrated with the 2 little fishes fluid and check it periodically against the other 2. My alk and calcium are within the estimates from the salt mix now
ymmv
Good to see that my initial conclusions are holding up. Thank you for taking time to investigate and report your results. The Hanna calibration fluid is the issue why the the salinity checker gives results that don't match with other methods of checking salinity if calibrated with Hanna solution, but spot on with other calibration options. I haven't touched my tester since I reported my issues and conclusions on the calibration fluid, just can't trust it after all this.

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have 3 of these testers and all three lose their calibration after a very short time. The newest tester (2 months), with blue ceramic loses its calibration after just a few minutes! Thus, this device is absolutely useless and rubbish! I calibrate with the Hanna calibration solution and the battery is also at 100%. It is absolutely unacceptable what Hanna is selling! I've paid over €100 for each of these testers and I can't trust these things. The Hanna service here in Germany is so bad. They don't know the device at all and refer to the seller where I bought the device and he in turn to Hanna.

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i got the... full of that salinity tester! I own 3 pieces and each of these parts always lose the calibration after a few minutes! So, I calibrated every time I checked the water. I had already contacted Hanna here in Germany, but nobody helped. Neither an offer to send in the devices, nor anything else.. Support.. ****!! I wondered why my SPS looked horrible despite the best water parameters. I then bought the large Tropic Marine aerometer and was shocked! It shows almost 4 PSU too much at a temperature of 25 Celsius.. So, almost 39 PSU!! I then had an ICP done and it confirmed everything to me. I calibrate almost exclusively with Hanna's expensive calibration liquid. I can remember my first salinity tester from Hanna, it was accurate and had to be calibrated once a week. This had the firmware version. 1.0.. the current 1.03 - 1.04.. I have my guess..

Back