New Hikari Frozen Foods

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed they now have a spirulina mysis, as well as something called 'Reef Riot' in both herbivore and carnivore which looks like it is trying to compete with LRS and Rod's

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Although from what I know of mysis culture, they’ll go after larger food particles like baby brine shrimp. Not sure how they’re gonna get spirulina into the mysis....

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Although from what I know of mysis culture, they’ll go after larger food particles like baby brine shrimp. Not sure how they’re gonna get spirulina into the mysis....

I’ve bought brine with spirulina previously, I think they just soak the food with it as when I rinse the brine, all the green goes down the plug hole.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With brine shrimp, I know at least that they're filter feeders and can feed off of spirulina and get it into their digestive tracts. I'm just not sure if the spirulina gets into the mysis shrimps' tracts....

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's as quality as LRS or Rods, I would buy it. Hikari brands are easier to find for me since petco carries it and thats only a half hour drive.

If I want LRS, Rods, or any other quality frozen(PE mysis, PE calanus, etc) I have to drive 2 hours one way, or order it. Then it's mostly thawed by time I get home, or it comes in the mail, so it's quality has obviously been compromised.

OP
OP
Potatohead

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's as quality as LRS or Rods, I would buy it. Hikari brands are easier to find for me since petco carries it and thats only a half hour drive.

If I want LRS, Rods, or any other quality frozen(PE mysis, PE calanus, etc) I have to drive 2 hours one way, or order it. Then it's mostly thawed by time I get home, or it comes in the mail, so it's quality has obviously been compromised.

That's the problem I have too. If LRS or Rod's were more readily available I would happily use them, but Hikari is way easier to find.

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked for this at my LFS last week and they did not have any yet. The thing I like about Hikari is that it is sterilized. No worries about adding any harmful bacteria or fish / coral disease. No one talks about this freezing alone does not kill all bacteria and virus in homemade foods.

Back