New Hippo tank not doing so good

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey guys I got a shipment of fish from Reef4less about 3 days ago. I currently have them in my quarantine tank. Everyone is doing good but my Hippo tang. Right out of the bag I noticed he was a little off and seemingly had a problem with his swim blatter. He's a video for anyone who can give me advice on what I should do. Currently I am doing nothing to treat it but I have decided I'm going to start some kind of treatment today maybe copper or antibiotics. Sorry my qt is a little dirty and the video isn't the greatest but this is what I got going on. He's laying on his side and breathing rapidly. He does swim and eat.
@Jay Hemdal you always have good advice!
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I can’t see

Hey guys I got a shipment of fish from Reef4less about 3 days ago. I currently have them in my quarantine tank. Everyone is doing good but my Hippo tang. Right out of the bag I noticed he was a little off and seemingly had a problem with his swim blatter. He's a video for anyone who can give me advice on what I should do. Currently I am doing nothing to treat it but I have decided I'm going to start some kind of treatment today maybe copper or antibiotics. Sorry my qt is a little dirty and the video isn't the greatest but this is what I got going on. He's laying on his side and breathing rapidly. He does swim and eat.
@Jay Hemdal you always have good advice!
Thanks in advance

Can’t see video but generally with shipping, the fish are bouncing around the bags during transport and have the opportunity to suck in air thereby sucking in air and will often expel it in 72 hours give or take . Feeding food such as brine shrimp will cause air to release- sort of like burping

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see

Can’t see video but generally with shipping, the fish are bouncing around the bags during transport and have the opportunity to suck in air thereby sucking in air and will often expel it in 72 hours give or take . Feeding food such as brine shrimp will cause air to release- sort of like burping
I sent you a PM maybe that video works!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I’ve been traveling all day and can’t view your video either, sorry!
What other fish were in that shipment?
Sometimes, fish get stressed during shipment, do you know how long the shipping time was?
Jay

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I’ve been traveling all day and can’t view your video either, sorry!
What other fish were in that shipment?
Sometimes, fish get stressed during shipment, do you know how long the shipping time was?
Jay
I had 3 anthias that also arrived in this shipment. The travel time was 14 ish hours. I would also like to add that this tang is very skinny. I don't notice any spots on the fish. The They all seem pretty happy other than the tang. I have them eating live baby brine and frozen brine. The tang is swimming around but he often sits in the corner and is breathing at about 130 breaths a minute

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 anthias that also arrived in this shipment. The travel time was 14 ish hours. I would also like to add that this tang is very skinny. I don't notice any spots on the fish. The They all seem pretty happy other than the tang. I have them eating live baby brine and frozen brine. The tang is swimming around but he often sits in the corner and is breathing at about 130 breaths a minute
That isn’t a long shipping time. Live baby brine is a good way to fatten the tang up quickly, but of course is not a good long term diet. I think 130 bpm is a bit fast, but I don’t think it is critically fast, 150 would be.
Jay

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His breathing can get up to 150 ish after hes done swimming. Baby brine is to entice the picky anthias. Would you recommend a different coarse of action other than just adding copper and antibiotics for now??

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His breathing can get up to 150 ish after hes done swimming. Baby brine is to entice the picky anthias. Would you recommend a different coarse of action other than just adding copper and antibiotics for now??
How does the tang look this morning?
A full quarantine process is warranted for any new fish, but what antibiotic are you using?
Jay

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Jay! Yeah he's a little more active than before. I am planning on a full QT as per your process that you have provided in the sticky thread. I put doxycycline in the water because it's what I had on hand. I have a bubbler and a bubbler power head for more oxygen. I put some nori in the water but he's not so interested. We will see

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Jay! Yeah he's a little more active than before. I am planning on a full QT as per your process that you have provided in the sticky thread. I put doxycycline in the water because it's what I had on hand. I have a bubbler and a bubbler power head for more oxygen. I put some nori in the water but he's not so interested. We will see
Doxycycline is a tetracycline, correct? The calcium in seawater makes tetracyclines ineffectual.
Jay

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doxycycline is a tetracycline, correct? The calcium in seawater makes tetracyclines ineffectual.
Jay
hmm that I did not know its all I have at home. I have Amoxicillin penicillin Metronidazole located at another tank location. I was just thinking that I would add it as a precaution just in case of a infection. Are any of those effective and am I being dumb to add it as a precaution?? The tang is neither getting worse or better just kinda swimming and then resting. After when he is tired his breaths are probably closer to 150 breaths per minute. He also has a hard time staying upright. Water parameters are good temp is 78 nitrates are 10 phosphates .35 no ammonia or nitrite. other fish are still good and I am currently running copper

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm that I did not know its all I have at home. I have Amoxicillin penicillin Metronidazole located at another tank location. I was just thinking that I would add it as a precaution just in case of a infection. Are any of those effective and am I being dumb to add it as a precaution?? The tang is neither getting worse or better just kinda swimming and then resting. After when he is tired his breaths are probably closer to 150 breaths per minute. He also has a hard time staying upright. Water parameters are good temp is 78 nitrates are 10 phosphates .35 no ammonia or nitrite. other fish are still good and I am currently running copper
I just looked it up, that is a tetracycline, so only will work in freshwater. Amox is sold by some companies for aquarium use, but it isn’t as effective as neomycin or kanamycin against common aquarium bacterial diseases. Metronidazole overlaps with copper so I wouldn’t bother with that.
Jay

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it looks like everyone made it and everyone is eating. I'm well on my way into copper treatment and it looks like my Hippo tang is starting to get some energy. It's no longer on the bottom and looks like it's getting a little less skinny the anthias hate the copper though.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I just treated the qt with antibiotics and copper. I don't really know whats up with him but I feel like its a good corse of action.

Don't dose antibiotics blindly. It is harmful to do so with any organism.

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't dose antibiotics blindly. It is harmful to do so with any organism.
Not really what I was asking in this thread. It would be nice to get advice on how to help my fish not just someone being a hall monitor. I'm not blindly dosing antibiotics but ok. People use doxy in aquariums. It's sold for fish I was just not aware it reacts with calcium. I purchased neomycin and it seems to be helping as my tang no longer has A swim blatter issue wich could have been an infection.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back