New hobby, some advice would be appreatiated

ArsenalFish42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am new to the hobby in a sense of I am going to be setting up a saltwater aquarium at home for the first time. I have worked at a pet store for a couple of years part time in the fish department, and know quite a bit (enough to get myself by). Although, every tank I have done maintenance to has been setup already and for a long time. I have never started a tank from scratch. I am looking at the IM fusion 30L, due to the space I have, and know very well it'll be more work. I was looking at using a Aquafuge HOB refugium, but my question is what size Aquafuge would be best? seeing as they have 3 different sizes. is the large one too big? is too big an issue? the tank specs are 36"L 15"W, and 13"H.
Thank you!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO a sump/fudge cannot be too big— so long as the flow level is set properly. If the sump drains up the the display and dumps everywhere that’ll be an issue. The same issue can be said about a pump not pumping up fast/hard enough — the sump with overflow from DT.

Some people have more water in various sumps and refugiums than they do in their DT. No issue!

Short answer is no but as you would anyway get an adjustable flow return pump and tune it where you want it :)

Also welcome home, you will love it here! :)

OP
OP
A

ArsenalFish42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO a sump/fudge cannot be too big— so long as the flow level is set properly. If the sump drains up the the display and dumps everywhere that’ll be an issue. The same issue can be said about a pump not pumping up fast/hard enough — the sump with overflow from DT.

Some people have more water in various sumps and refugiums than they do in their DT. No issue!

Short answer is no but as you would anyway get an adjustable flow return pump and tune it where you want it :)

Also welcome home, you will love it here! :)

That was fast! Thank, just the answer I was looking for!

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! I agree bigger is better! Your LFS experience should be a huge help in your reefing journey.

6C5603E9-6A65-4160-AB09-374DBBFF6B68.gif

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
A

ArsenalFish42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I am hoping. I have a good idea with plumbing and setting the tank up. though, through the cycling process, it will be new to me, as I have never set up a tank brand new. I have one question to ask though as well. At my store we have a 120 gallon, with a hang on the back over flow. I believe it is a eshopps, with the 2 clear u tubes. I cannot keep suction in them. some days worse than others. Some days it will hold both tubes, then drop to one, then drop some suction with limited flow. The way the plumbing is, there is only one adjustable part for flow into the aquarium, and that is the inlet into the pump. that is the only point I could adjust. any tips?

OP
OP
A

ArsenalFish42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question to ask here. How soon should I setup a refugium? would it be too soon to add when I set the tank up? or should I let the tank cycle first?

Saintnovakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question to ask here. How soon should I setup a refugium? would it be too soon to add when I set the tank up? or should I let the tank cycle first?

Some algae used in a fuge will utilize Ammonia within the cycle as a first preference and rob the bacteria you are trying to grow of food. I would wait until you only have nitrates at the end of the cycle to really get the fuge going. Maybe others will chime in but that is my thought.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back