OP
#R_TST

#R_TST

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@#R_TST -
Not a dumb question at all. There are so many different aspects and details to literally everything. It's a great question.
It is wise to prepare in advance and have a blueprint in place so you have something to follow, the better you plan things out, the less hiccups you will have along the way. The idea is to plan for the issues and solve for them before they arise.

The caster-wheel option is a good option, but how confident are you on making 100% sure that you are able to install them properly, to the highest quality that is needed? Stands aren't what they used to be, so the one you have may be merely particle board of some sort. Do you feel comfortable with your new display parked on wheels? Have you thought of the price, quality and type of materials that you want the caster-wheels to be made out of? A good set of caster wheels may run you around $250.00 - Aim for wheels that will hold twice the weight of your display, which is around 300 LBS, so look for a weight support capacity of 600-800 LBS that boast double ball raceways.

In reality, a display system should never be moved if possible. This always holds the possible risk of compromising the integrity of the system overall; seals, braces, etc. However, moving a system is not rocket science, remember, "solve for the issues, before they arise." Technically, you could do a 80% water change and move the system with 20% of the water remaining in the display. This amount of weight is much more manageable with 2-3 individuals.

Simply put, moving your display would go quite well without an issue. Are your floors carpeted, tiled, hardwood, laminate or vinyl; these materials would all play a part in the moving details. Also, the materials would decide on the small detail of 'Locking' caster wheels.

Either option is a viable one and very doable at that. Which one would you prefer?
A) Mount Permanent Caster Wheels
B) Move With One/Two People
Thanks. You gave me a lot to think about in consideration.

OP
OP
#R_TST

#R_TST

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m doing my fish planning while I wait for my tank to arrive this week. I want to make sure I have decided on my livestock so I can be sure to take their habitats into consideration when I build my rock formation and start cycling my tank. Getting the 32.5 gallon Fluval Flex and wanting a lot of variety of corals. So I have a couple questions

1. Corals : Obviously I can only fit so many corals in my tank. Is there a guide as to how many you should put in a tank? I realize they will vary in size and depend on aggression. I don’t see anything that ever says if there is a max growth size. If they grow into each other will they just contain the space allotted to them or try to over take the next coral? I’m looking at easy care non-aggressive corals, soft, SPS, LPS, no hard and plan to space them out and island place those that require it.

2. Inverts: Will have a CUC of snails, hermits, & shrimp. I see conflicting info about shrimp. I was looking at Blood Red Fire, Pistol, Skunk, and Peppermint based off suggestions in videos and readings. Can more than one type of shrimp be used? Is there a best one if you can only do one type? Also wondering about a clam. Are they a good or bad idea?

3. Fish: Really seeking expert advice here. I think, depending on which fish I go with, that my Max would be 5 or 6 fish. I tried to pick easy, peaceful, reef safe and those with different habitat/tank location preferences so I don’t have everyone in caves or sand or the water column.
Are my choices compatible? Will they all fit comfortably? And I have som fish specific questions below.
My wish list is:
Benggai Cardinal
Goby
Firefish
Royal Gramma
Green Mandarin
Tail Spot Blenny

Cardinal - I very much would like 2 Benggai Cardinals. Seeing conflicting info as to whether or not this will work and whether my 32.5 g is large enough? I would be happy having only those 2 fish if that needs to be the case. Also, if I do have an issue of them not bonding or getting along, I can move one in my daughter’s larger tank.
Goby - Can’t decide between Yellow Watchman, Hi Fin Red Band, or Diamond Watchman. Recommendations as to why one would be better than the others? Really wish I could do the Hi Fin and a 2nd :(
Firefish - Probably the cool cheap Firefish, but would love a Helfrichi Firefish
Royal Gramma
Green Mandarin - would be a future endeavor once my tank has been long established, but want to reserve a space for it.
Tail Spot Blenny - if there is still room in the tank

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. Still doing lots of research. I think my Fish list is complete aside from changes I need to make based on feedback. I’m not too particular on my CUC, just a couple questions there. And I’ve been doing lots of research on the corals and probably have a list of way more than will fit in my tank so I’m working on more research on care, growth, requirements, difficulty, etc. and trying to prioritize those I want the most.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
#R_TST

#R_TST

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I am glad you asked.

You need to give the new tank to the daughter for (early) Christmas. Then go about your remodel and redecoration of the house and make room for the RBT (really big tank) that is in your future.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Her tank is already bigger than mine. I wish I had more room for the RBT!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go as big as you can to start ,
Size , budget etc . It’s not only a hobby but also a addiction .

my first was a 75 ,
90 was the next , and now a 230 . If I had room I would go bigger still .
Welcome and look forward to seeing your setup

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A belated welcome to the r2r Community

Ashleem89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I'm new to the hobby. My adult daughter has a saltwater tank and I keep wanting to put stuff in it so she said I need my own tank! I'm completely new to saltwater tanks so I've been spending endless hours researching, learning, and educating myself. I have decided that I really want a reef tank with lots of coral and mushrooms and I seem to really like the invertebrates, CUCs, and there are a few fish I'm thinking about. So I'm looking at a diamond goby, Cardinal, firefish, shrimp, snails, maybe a couple crabs, but mostly mushrooms, soft coral and considering eventually other corals.

Right now I'm stuck on trying to decide what tank I want. I am debating between the Fluval 13.5 gal and the larger Fluval Flex 32.5 gal. I really like the AOI option as a starter and have seen some very nice builds of the 13.5 gal. But I'm wondering if I should bump up to the 32.5 gal Flex so I have room to grow without having to buy a new one and start a new bigger tank down the road. BUT, I've seen some concerning posts here and there about the quality of the 32.5 both in craftsmanship and hearing of structural failure/cracking. I don't know if those are rare cases or if I should be concerned. With all the sales, I'd like to order one this month so any expertise about these 2 tanks and recommendations as to which one I should start with would be great.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!
I just bought the evo 13.5g and love it! With that being said, I fully plan on upgrading later once I'm in a new house! Good luck!

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the best possible platform on the web to get answers and meet people within this saltwater keeping hobby! No doubt a place where you can get lost in all kinds of different and insightful information!

Another great place to snag info about this hobby we all love is YouTube! I have a channel going that is basically just my journey in reefing! May have some helpful tips and tricks for ya! Let me know if you get a chance to check it out! Again, welcome to R2R!!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the fishy family! How fortunate that you have something that you love to share with your daughter. ;Happy
This is a bit belated but I'll chime in...
yellow watchman gobies are jus beautiful and they have amazing personalities.
Cardinals are just boring. Snoozefest... that is my one regret. If I had a do over, I'd have gotten something more interesting and active.
Maybe consider a long nose hawk fish or a six line wrasse? The wrasse may eat pods down the line if you start to populate for the mandarin, however. It's a great, easy fish though... lots of interest.
Enjoy the tank and we look forward to the build thread.
big eyes fish GIF

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back