OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build thread! We are purchasing a house (closing June 13!) and the basement will eventually be finished with the tanks (180 reef and 75 FOWLR) built into the plan.

Did you have a hard time explaining to the builders what you wanted as far as building the stand into the plans? I'm concerned that when we hire a contractor they might balk at this. I don't have any idea how to build a stand strong enough to hold a 180 gal tank, much less explain it to a non-reefing contractor.
GREAt !
just let me know if you have any questions as there is a bunch of details that i wish i would have done different or tweaked..
I used a metal stand from manufacturer but it would be easy for them to build it into the house with 2x6 framing. there is a bunch to think about now and i would draw it up so they can see what you are thinking as most contractors need a drawing to work from. one main thing is to determine how you want the floor to work? are you having a room with a floor drain? what happens if there is a catastrophe where will the water go? the other main thing will be power as you want a couple dedicated circuits and you may want to really think through where they will be. One thing i did not think through was that i was going to have an apex run all of the gear and to have things go on and off as i want, not to mention monitor power usage or problems they all need to be located together. also i needed to figure out how to get my 2 APC's so that they did not get overloaded as they only can run 900w through them.

wire management and cableing is a bear and i would think through all of that as i really was not sure and now i am trying to figure it out as we speak.
Having said all of that i am a strange bird and like to have my fish room as a display of sorts and most people dont want that so alot of the details might not matter that much to you.

good luck and let me know if i can help

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Killer build!

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we are all jealous
well thanks, i am learning as i go but i do not have the experience of you all and i am on a steep learning curve when it comes to a living aquarium and keeping it that way. i will have tons of questions and alot of help needed going forward...

but thank you i have really put time and research time in from the planning, purchasing and setup.

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, i have a ton of small particles in water column, they are not micro bubbles, i can dell if they are tiny pods or something or dust/dirt/stuff.

it does not seem to be affecting anything but the tank water is not clear and in the pictures if you zoom in you can see the stuff in the water. any ideas?
IMG_5312.jpg IMG_5311.jpg IMG_5315.jpg

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could the issue with my chaeto dying off in refugium be the culprit of my particles in water? i put chaeto in refugium a while back and it is dying off for some reason (maybe water too clean?) anyway i have tried everything i know to get it to grow (see my post https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/why-is-my-chaeto-dying.399471/)

any ideas on this dilemma would be great

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build is epic! Don't beat yourself up about the wiring configuration, I think it looks real sharp. And you've paid attention to the key, separating power from data. Beautifully done fishroom. Can't wait to see this one move forward.

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i could not figure out that all of the stuff in the water, im not sure but now there are tons of tine things on the glass so i assume it is some sort of spawning of pods or something... i assume this is a good thing

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good news that the things a was seeing was indeed a spawning as now there are tons of little critters...

water is now clear and tank is well on its way, added a couple shrimp and 4 new fish in the QT,,,

Also got the UV up and running and the CAL/ALK dosing is up and running also (not dosing CAL yet as it is good for now)

Bruno516

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet build progress from the beginning - love the CAD work you put into this. I need to hire you to design mine for my new home ! :D

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet build progress from the beginning - love the CAD work you put into this. I need to hire you to design mine for my new home ! :D
thanks, not sure you would like the price but i am more than willing to help if you need anything, it was well worth the effort as it all pretty much worked as i planned. the only thing i did not do because i ran out of time was a wiring plan and i now wish i would have because i learned a ton and will have to re-setup due to all the wires and try and separate power and data..

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for the delay. not on Reef2Reef that much. here is the link i used to create a buzzer. as long as you have an open 24V port you can add a buzzer.

G~

So simple, thanks!!

Easily adapted by running one of those buzzers off a 12v wall wart plugged into an eb8 outlet. And with virtual outlets, I can program Osc commands to give me different sounds for different alerts.

Definitely will be going this- thanks.

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i have been busy with fine tuning the system, i have had the worst time trying to get the chaeto to grow in the refugium, or should i say get it to stay in one piece and grow in refugium as i tried with no additional flow and it it was dying so i added flow and that helped so it did not dye but it kept getting pulled to the power head or to the grate going to return pump and it gets pulled apart. i tried to build up the rock pieces i have in there to stop this from happening but that worked a bit but not enough.
I still am trying to figure this out but i added a clear water cw200 algae scrubber and i am thinking this will take the place of trying to get the chaeto to grow and stay in one piece

sure would appreciate any input on this

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Scott, I have no experience in that specifically, but I would suggest starting a specific new thread to get more eyes on it. Maybe in the Macroalgae forum.

Good luck with the scrubber. I have read good things about them.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! My tank will be here in about a month and it’s also a 300G. I am going a little different route but it’s a dedicated fish room for sure.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i have been busy with fine tuning the system, i have had the worst time trying to get the chaeto to grow in the refugium, or should i say get it to stay in one piece and grow in refugium as i tried with no additional flow and it it was dying so i added flow and that helped so it did not dye but it kept getting pulled to the power head or to the grate going to return pump and it gets pulled apart. i tried to build up the rock pieces i have in there to stop this from happening but that worked a bit but not enough.
I still am trying to figure this out but i added a clear water cw200 algae scrubber and i am thinking this will take the place of trying to get the chaeto to grow and stay in one piece

I had the problem for awhile but it has gone away now, first it was my light just did not grow, then after I got the cheato to grow it started to break up, well it had pulled most of the nutrients out of the tank. Cheato need Iron for sure and Nitrate and likes phosphate if all are close to Zero I think that might be what's wrong

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You need nutrients to feed the chaeto. You have a large system and doesn't look like its high stocked. I would just pull it till the time is needed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back