New House and New 300 Gallon reef tank build w/ fish room

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i think you are correct and i am going to pull it for now, however i do have hair algae growing in display so they has to be some nutrients...
what kind of light did you have on your fuge, just remember the fuge light also has to compete with the DT lights/ and it took my tank about 6 months to get rid of the GH from the display. My new build I can't tell if I will get GH yet but I started the fuge almost at the same time I started the tank as soon as the tank cycled I put my fuge in operation Good luck great looking tank

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i think you are correct and i am going to pull it for now, however i do have hair algae growing in display so they has to be some nutrients...
That I didn't know. I saw that you added flow to the fuge did you try reducing flow? I've always ran low flow and massive light in all my fuges & used almost any kind of light before and it all grows chaeto. Of course some faster then others but never has had die off. Every tank is different and this is what makes the forum great you can learn from other tanks. What may work for my tank may not work for yours

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thx for the support, you have a great build and if I ever build a home from the ground up the room for the equipment will be a must, I will make sure to post my progress on here as you have, do you have any updates? or a different thread going?

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not posted for a while but the tank is doing outstanding and coral frags are growing, fish are happy and almost finished rewiring the equipment. I still have to hide the power cables but that should be it. Here are some of the equipment that i added in the last month or two:
algea scrubber
O2 scrubber
Apex PAR meter
now dosing 4 part water conditioner
also dosing alk and cal

here are some pics
IMG_5720.jpg IMG_5785.jpg IMG_5784.jpg IMG_5783.jpg

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I didn't know. I saw that you added flow to the fuge did you try reducing flow? I've always ran low flow and massive light in all my fuges & used almost any kind of light before and it all grows chaeto. Of course some faster then others but never has had die off. Every tank is different and this is what makes the forum great you can learn from other tanks. What may work for my tank may not work for yours
i ended up removing the cheato and adding a algae scrubber and that seems to be doing great... might try it again later once the tank matures a bit...not sure but it was annoying me on a daily basis so i went a different direction..

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is looking great - love the cleanliness of the wiring and plumbing!

With a new house, how do you keep your pH up? I’ve been using a CO2 scrubber but that struggles to get it above 8.0
to be honest i have had no problems with ph, i did just add a co2 scrubber and that has put me up into the 8.2 range at peak and 8.1 at low but even before that i was at 8.18/8.05 respectively. i do run a ceiling vent almost all of the time but other than that no problems

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not posted for a while but the tank is doing outstanding and coral frags are growing, fish are happy and almost finished rewiring the equipment. I still have to hide the power cables but that should be it. Here are some of the equipment that i added in the last month or two:
algea scrubber
O2 scrubber
Apex PAR meter
also dosing alk and cal

here are some pics
Those are fabulous pictures especially of the kit you have in the fish room, and the Apex controller screen, there is some equipment there!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
algea scrubber
O2 scrubber
Apex PAR meter
also dosing alk and cal

here are some pics

The back is as aesthetically pleasing as the front. I could stare at either. Perhaps the back more (uh, I am a bit OCD).

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The back is as aesthetically pleasing as the front. I could stare at either. Perhaps the back more (uh, I am a bit OCD).
That was actually part of my plan from the start, i also have some ocd mixed with ADD and most likely some other acronyms but i figured we all spend a god amount of time making the tank live well and i planned on having alot of automation so i figured i would make it a point of interest. most of the visitors to my home spend more time in the fish room than looking at the front..lol almost everyone takes a picture of the fish rom also...funny huh

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing set up. That's all some serious cash lol....

Question: I have read that a QT tank can't be within 10ft of your DT or open water like top offs. I see you have a lid on the QT tank, how has this worked? Do you think ICH or other diseases can transfer to the DT?

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be a member about 12 years ago with a 120g reef tank and had to move and was not able to have a tank..

But now I am building a new house and i am setting up a 300 gal reef tank built into wall with a dedicated room for equipment ect..

I had multiple tanks for 4-5 years but have been out of the hobby for 6 years so i need alot of advice of how to put this project together and specifically the size and setup of the room as i am in the process of building the home now (having it built) in NC.

I have attached a cad sketch i put together of what i think the room should look like but i am trying to learn as much as possible as alot has changed since i was in the hobby, matter of fact the only automation that i had was a standard dial timer and the cutting edge tunze auto top off and a float valve.....i was cutting edge..lol

well here is the cad floor plan and some renderings of what i am planning for the fish room, there are all working drawings so things are changing but the room was just sheetrocked so we are getting close to adding water, about 45 days or so

the tank is a 300 gallon display (84x36x24 h)tank with a 20" ghost overflow, 72" tideline sump that is on order and should arrive in a week or 3...

Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 8.50.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 9.57.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 9.57.38 AM.png
woww is very impressive, I will be happy with a setup and room like that..... good luck with your project

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back