New House and New 300 Gallon reef tank build w/ fish room

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new house and welcome back. I just moved into our new house compete with fish room and here's some of what I learned.
You should consider using Fibergalss reinforced plastic FRP on the walls. Sheet rock will hold up to the humidity if you plan to tile the walls.
You will want more electric outlets. I had three circuits in my room and have about maxed them out. Your heater will take a lot of the juice of the circuit.
You mentioned flow sensors so I'm guessing you are planning on using an Apex controlller. If so then good move. My Apex controller has saved my tank a few times.
Humidity can be a problem so I added bathroom exhaust fans in the ceiling. The electrician ran the romex cable into the fish room so I can operate the exhaust fans with the Apex. This also will help to keep any salty vapor in the fish room. In my previous house the ac vents had begun rusting and I suspect it was from my reef tank and that's why we wether proofed the door to the fish room.
Exhaust fans will help with humidity but may not always get the job done or could evacuate more air from the house than you wish so a dehumidifier maybe in order.
I have a mini split in my FR as I am in Florida an heat is of concern. My wife requested no noisy chiller on this tank so I hope the mini split can keep temps down.
For your plumbing you'll want a gate valve on your full siphon line. Probably one of the details you mentioned needed to be added but just double checking.
If you have the height above the tank consider a way to raise and lower your lights. It make working in the tank so much easier with lights raised.
I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of now.

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im gonna follow along this is cool. Congrats on all of it. Good luck cant wait to see this beautiful setup. Kudos on the renderings.

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Following.

As for CO2, something that has been mentioned before is the use of CO2 scrubbing media such as soda lime. If you cannot run a line outside, that is your best option.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back.
Love a build with CAD drawings :)
Dedicated lines, plumbing in wall to fishroom, vernts from tank cabinet to outside of home and maybe an airline from out toll cabinet, same for fishroom as well are great ideas. Plan and draw ur electrical and add few power sockets and lines to fishroom to be used when u need more lines.
Check out my build thread as I got to plan tank while building was ongoing. Good luck.

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very jealous of your skills in drawing everything up!! Very nice.

well thanks, i have been working on this trying to think of everything but i cant seem to find anything else to plan for, soon time to setup and then figure it all out as i go. i will document it all as i go and i am sure i will need help along the way

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan for fish quarantine and coral quarantine with an easy way to make water changes to them.
i have a 55 g qt tank opposite of the tank in the fish room but to be honest i have not put much thought on how i am going to plumb that or how i am going to hook it to water reservours for easy fill and drain. good thought though and i wonder if i should keep qt tank running or drain every time and refill?? ideas?
Aqueon 55 gal QT tank.png

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back.
Love a build with CAD drawings :)
Dedicated lines, plumbing in wall to fishroom, vernts from tank cabinet to outside of home and maybe an airline from out toll cabinet, same for fishroom as well are great ideas. Plan and draw ur electrical and add few power sockets and lines to fishroom to be used when u need more lines.
Check out my build thread as I got to plan tank while building was ongoing. Good luck.
the house is wired with 2 dedicated circuits plus the room lights and exhaust fan are on a separate circuit so i think i got that covered, i am planning to start electrical plan for all equipment in the next week or so. i do not have a air line to the exterior but that is a good point as getting fresh air into the room to remove CO2 might be needed. i also lowered the floor 1.5" and added a drain in floor with tile floors and 6" up walls so kind of like a big shower with outlets..
i will have to look at your build thread for ideas...

here are a couple pictures of the construction as we sit today
IMG-4204.JPG IMG-4552 (1).JPG IMG-4558 (1).JPG

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a couple pictures of the house/fish room and construction progress. We are now done with the sheetrock and mud/taping, as it took a bit longer due to below freezing temperatures for a week or so. Doors, trim and cabinets start next week.
IMG_4584.jpg IMG_4593.jpg IMG_4596.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back