New House and New 300 Gallon reef tank build w/ fish room

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks awesome. Couple of comments on the plumbing: how are you going to isolate the UV to change the bulb? Looks like you need another valve between the outlet and the T. Also, think about how to minimize the amount drained into the sump from your returns when you lose power. I hate to rely on check valves and its pretty easy to set the return outlets high enough and/or drill a small hole in the pipe at normal water level to break the siphon. Extra volume in the sump is crucial as well.

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Nice Time to get a tractor for yard maintenance LOL
actually you are spot on, but i actually have one so i am good to go, "nothing runs like a deere" it already helped me with the stand..
IMG_8141.jpg

EdsReefOdyssey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is the updated plumbing plan, hopefully the final one as i am getting ready to order plumbing parts...
Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 10.09.02 AM.png
Nice house and fish room!!

Where are you buying your plumbing supplies from?

I would add a gate or TUBV after your first drain line.

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome. Couple of comments on the plumbing: how are you going to isolate the UV to change the bulb? Looks like you need another valve between the outlet and the T. Also, think about how to minimize the amount drained into the sump from your returns when you lose power. I hate to rely on check valves and its pretty easy to set the return outlets high enough and/or drill a small hole in the pipe at normal water level to break the siphon. Extra volume in the sump is crucial as well.
For the UV i should have enough space to pull the bulb out the top without removing, if i need to remove i have two unions, but you have a very good point and i should remove the unions and replace them with true union valves so i can stop the flow and remove if needed. i need to think about the siphon but i purchased a very large sump that will hold the extra volume, you think that will do? i should have enough valves to minimize the drain into the sump if i understand your idea correctly?

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice house and fish room!!

Where are you buying your plumbing supplies from?

I would add a gate or TUBV after your first drain line.
i have priced out with flexpvc.com for some pipe and pipe fasteners
, then i checked pricing with pvcpipesupplies.com vs BRS and BRS was a bit higher but with free shipping it was real close and I could get it all from them and support the industry, any better ideas i would be glad to hear...
i have attached my list for reference and not final yet.
Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 12.21.21 PM.png

AquaART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, and congrats on the new house!

In terms of plumbing:

You don’t need to use SCH80, it’s a complete overkill for the amount of pressure you’re gonna run; even SCH40 can handle insane psi. Save the money and put it into a different are of the tank. That being said, if it’s something you really want, check your local plumbing supply stores and large wholesale construction vendors. I randomly found a plumbing store 15 minutes away from our house and was suppressed at the selection of PVC and valves. Turns out, it’s their amazon inventory warehouse and their prices were pretty much unbeatable.

Also, consider using gray PVC electrical conduit from your big box home improvement store. Is gray and will get you the same look at 1/4 of the cost.

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, and congrats on the new house!

In terms of plumbing:

You don’t need to use SCH80, it’s a complete overkill for the amount of pressure you’re gonna run; even SCH40 can handle insane psi. Save the money and put it into a different are of the tank. That being said, if it’s something you really want, check your local plumbing supply stores and large wholesale construction vendors. I randomly found a plumbing store 15 minutes away from our house and was suppressed at the selection of PVC and valves. Turns out, it’s their amazon inventory warehouse and their prices were pretty much unbeatable.

Also, consider using gray PVC electrical conduit from your big box home improvement store. Is gray and will get you the same look at 1/4 of the cost.
well you are correct, i picked the schedule 80 merely for the look or the pipe fittings and valves. i know that may sound a bit weird but my fish room will be a display of its own (i hope) having said that i will heed your advise and check out the local plumbing contractor supply. i know the local big box stores do not have what i need as i checked them out last week.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have priced out with flexpvc.com for some pipe and pipe fasteners
, then i checked pricing with pvcpipesupplies.com vs BRS and BRS was a bit higher but with free shipping it was real close and I could get it all from them and support the industry, any better ideas i would be glad to hear...
i have attached my list for reference and not final yet.
Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 12.21.21 PM.png
I have bought some from Amazon

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For the UV i should have enough space to pull the bulb out the top without removing, if i need to remove i have two unions, but you have a very good point and i should remove the unions and replace them with true union valves so i can stop the flow and remove if needed. i need to think about the siphon but i purchased a very large sump that will hold the extra volume, you think that will do? i should have enough valves to minimize the drain into the sump if i understand your idea correctly?

You can calculate the amount of water that will siphon from the returns into the sump in the event of a power failure by measuring how deep the lowest one is in the water. If you sump can’t handle that in addition to its normal operating volume, you can raise the returns. Will your returns come through bulkheads on the sides of the tank or over the top?

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can calculate the amount of water that will siphon from the returns into the sump in the event of a power failure by measuring how deep the lowest one is in the water. If you sump can’t handle that in addition to its normal operating volume, you can raise the returns. Will your returns come through bulkheads on the sides of the tank or over the top?
they are going through bulkheads in the side of the tank and i am not sure where they were drilled as the tank was crated and shipping monday so i guess when i go to set it all up i will tweak it then, i can always get in touch with the manufacturer and get the details also

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
they are going through bulkheads in the side of the tank and i am not sure where they were drilled as the tank was crated and shipping monday so i guess when i go to set it all up i will tweak it then, i can always get in touch with the manufacturer and get the details also

Once you know where the return outlets are in relation to the water level in the tank you can calculate home much will siphon back when the return pumps are off. If you have enough extra room in the sump you’re good to go.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Where is the skimmer going? In that section of the sump with the float valve? Is that for your ATO? Normally that is in your return pump section, the skimmer section is usually constant level set by the baffle.

2. Any mechanical filtration? Socks, or no socks?

3. Looks like maybe a bean system? If so, you have drawn all three lines coming together into one drain, but the three lines need to be separate; main and second line submerged a bit, emergency above water.

4. You may want to plump drain valves into your water reservoirs so you can grab buckets of ro or salt when you need them such as when dipping coral, freshwater dips of fish, etc.

5. With a system this large, if you do get heavy into corals, you may eventually consider a calcium reactor in place of or in addition to dosing. At some point demand gets heavy enough that a carx starts to make things easier.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back