New House and New 300 Gallon reef tank build w/ fish room

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all,
we are close, the cabinets are mostly complete, just need to put the crown molding on the top of the cabinets and i think i may need to paint the inside of the cabinets above the tank with some type of paint so the humidity does not ruin the cabinets, any thoughts??

anyway here are a couple pictures

looks like i close on the house a week from today so then i will start plumbing once i move in and get all my stuff and family comfortable and such..

cant wait to get water

IMG_1222.jpg
Based on the photos, the cabinets are sealed. I do not think additional paint would add much to the vapor barrier. I don’t think you need to paint.

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the photos, the cabinets are sealed. I do not think additional paint would add much to the vapor barrier. I don’t think you need to paint.
thank for your opinion on that, i was not sure but i did not want the cabinets to warp or get negatively affected so i thought i would throw it out there.

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is moving weekend....woohooo

well, truth to be known there is not much celebration as the moving process really sucks, just saying but we are very excited to moving into our new home and once i can get the old house cleaned out i will be building out the tank.

IMG_5220.jpg

IMG_5222.jpg

sailplanes2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is WOW --- DREAM House with a DREAM TANK. Nice work all around :)

hello all,
...i think i may need to paint the inside of the cabinets above the tank with some type of paint so the humidity does not ruin the cabinets, any thoughts??

IMG_1222.jpg

thank for your opinion on that, i was not sure but i did not want the cabinets to warp or get negatively affected so i thought i would throw it out there.

Truly do love the cabinet design and will likely steal this idea some day :) For longevity of the cabinets and since they will be directly above (like an inverted bathtub) a marine environment, I would consider adding a couple layers of 2oz or 4oz fiberglass and a nice thick layer of epoxy or marine gel coat paint to the interior of the cabinets and trim?

Some other kinda of vapor barrier / water proofing?

Peace

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are getting wet...

started finally working on my fish room. we got the final load of stuff from the old house and the garage is full of crap but i just could not help myself and stayed up to midnight and got the RO/DI setup and get the quarantine tank setup and started putting water into it. I figured that i need to setup the QT tank so i can get the first couple of fish and start the QT process.

I plan to have the display tank plumbed this week and have the rock coming at the end of the week so this weekend i plan to have the display tank up and running.

here are a couple of pictures from last night...
IMG_5233.jpg IMG_5234.jpg IMG_5235.jpg IMG_5236.jpg

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tonight i will be creating a stand for the water containers and getting the last of the water in the qt tank and add salt and heat..

been a long time out of the hobby, who knew it would take 2 days to get enough RO/DI water for the 75g, it is going to take a week to fill my 300g display, any secrets out there to accomplish this??

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand is created and in place. i will post some pictures tonight.
Also tonight i will either mount the lights, or start the display plumbing or both depending on time but i also will put the salt in the QT tank so that can mix and be ready to get a couple fish this weekend so they can start the QT process. (QT tank has water and heater warming it up with hang on filter running with no media)

here is my plan, any words of wisdom welcome...
QT Tank;
-water is in and heater on and overflow running with no media
-wednesday night add salt to mix
-friday add turbostart 900
-saterday/sunday add fish to QT for 4 week qt

Main Display;
-wednesday/thursday or friday finish plumbing (need parts from fedex)
-saturday/sunday add rock and sand
-saturday/sunday add 150 gallons of water (this is all i can make and store in containers)
-after filling display with stored water need to make more water 5 gal/hour it will take it will take 80 hours to make all water from start to finish

let me know thoughts as i trying to do this but it is a bit overwhelming

Kzguns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tonight i will be creating a stand for the water containers and getting the last of the water in the qt tank and add salt and heat..

been a long time out of the hobby, who knew it would take 2 days to get enough RO/DI water for the 75g, it is going to take a week to fill my 300g display, any secrets out there to accomplish this??

Do you have a flush valve on your membrane? If so flush for 30 seconds to a minute whenever you get a chance hourly or every couple. My production increases after that. This also help prolong the life of the membrane by flushing the big stuff off the outside. Either way it’s gonna take a bit. Looks great btw

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a flush valve on your membrane? If so flush for 30 seconds to a minute whenever you get a chance hourly or every couple. My production increases after that. This also help prolong the life of the membrane by flushing the big stuff off the outside. Either way it’s gonna take a bit. Looks great btw
I have the MaxCap® 1:1 Ultra-High-Efficiency 100-GPD RO/DI System - MC-RODI-100UHE-10HC and i believe it does a purge every so often as i hear it stop and then a good amount of water comes out the drain line. i am going to do a bit of research to check

Kzguns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the MaxCap[emoji768] 1:1 Ultra-High-Efficiency 100-GPD RO/DI System - MC-RODI-100UHE-10HC and i believe it does a purge every so often as i hear it stop and then a good amount of water comes out the drain line. i am going to do a bit of research to check

Ya sounds like you have an auto flush. [emoji1360]

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks amazing. Love the how the cabinets turned out. It’s amazing how quickly the space in the fish room gets used up.

A coupe of lessons learned from my recent build, similar to your own. I’m not quite finished, but am a couple of weeks away from adding fish.

1. Don’t forget to rinse your sand. I was excited to get sand in the tank and I forgot. Really stupid of me.

2. What type of rock are you going to use? The curing/cycling process may take a while, so maybe hold up on starting QT. Just because maintaining QT system is a bit more intensive that your display. You probably don’t want to have to drag that process out while waiting for the display to be ready for fish.

3. May want to consider more QT tanks. Some to run copper, etc and others to hold inverts prior to putting in display. I have 3 running right now and wish I had a 4th.

That’s all I can think of right now. I’m sure I’ll remember more later lol

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks amazing. Love the how the cabinets turned out. It’s amazing how quickly the space in the fish room gets used up.

A coupe of lessons learned from my recent build, similar to your own. I’m not quite finished, but am a couple of weeks away from adding fish.

1. Don’t forget to rinse your sand. I was excited to get sand in the tank and I forgot. Really stupid of me.

2. What type of rock are you going to use? The curing/cycling process may take a while, so maybe hold up on starting QT. Just because maintaining QT system is a bit more intensive that your display. You probably don’t want to have to drag that process out while waiting for the display to be ready for fish.

3. May want to consider more QT tanks. Some to run copper, etc and others to hold inverts prior to putting in display. I have 3 running right now and wish I had a 4th.

Link to my build BTW Alaskan 300 Gal build
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Alaskan-300-Gal-build.334446/

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks and yes the space has gone away VERY fast, will have some more room once i can stop moving supplies from one corner to the next as i build but that is part of it.
1. do i need to rinse live sand?
2. using REELREEF live rock so there will be a cycle but i am anticipating 3-4 weeks as i also plan to use turbostart900
3. oh i have already thought that the 55 QT might have been too large and might have to swap for a couple smaller ones...jury is still out on this but i do agree

thanks for the input and keep it coming snd i will check out your tank build...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back