New idea (for me :) for frozen food strainer.

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm relatively new at this hobby and am still in the phase of figuring out how exactly to do things like, "thaw shrimp food cube, strain water off of shrimp, and soak them in several drops of nutrient solution for 3 minutes."

It sounds pretty straight forward until you're standing there with a tiny cube of frozen shrimp and think, how the heck am I going to do that?! o_O My kitchen strainer is NOT going to work here.

Then, the idea hits me! I have a self-packing coffee pod thingy. Perfect! So I thought I'd share my idea with other newbys who may also be in the process of figuring these types of things out. I got a set of four of these for Christmas last year. I've seen the 4-packs for less than $10 and it worked great! I do highly recommend you label it and keep it with your aquarium supplies if you don't want complaints from the coffee-drinking members of your family. :D

Here's the pics. I happened to win this bottle of Brightwell Aquatics MaxAmino stuff to soak your food in for even better nutrition so I was giving it a try.

Enjoy!

0810172213.jpg
0810172213a.jpg
0810172214.jpg
0810172214a.jpg
0810172215.jpg
0810172215a.jpg
0810172217.jpg

OP
OP
Scrappy RN

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, my smallest strainer would have let all the shrimp through, hence the dilemma. You should have seen the look on my daughter's face when she saw me doing that with her gift, haha! I did tell her I didn't put it in the Keurig she got me too. [emoji13]

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there Scrappy. The strainer is a good idea. I would like to give you a little advice that you do not have to listen to. I would not use those shrimp to feed anything as they are about the worst food there is and I would not soak any frozen food in any supplement as it will not stick to wet food and will just rinse off as soon as it hits the water.
Just my opinion of course. Have a great day and good luck.
Paul

OP
OP
Scrappy RN

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Paul B I don't use brine shrimp very often but I do believe that occasional treats don't hurt. The fish absolutely love them! My kids survived and are thriving and super healthy compared to a lot of kids these days from a mostly very healthy diet with random junk food thrown in, lol! I believe, as a nurse, that we humble humans don't have all the answers to God's secret formula for making food nutritious (which is why even with advanced medical science we can't match breast milk with an exact replica nor can we feed critically ill patients with perfect TPN nutrition). So my personal theory to fix that is to provide constant variety of food sources to make sure my fish children, like my human children, get all the trace goodies that are possible out in the world. Similar to your practice of live foods and sands and water that you provide for your babies, lol, but I don't have easy access to the sea. Ripley's Aquarium folks in Gatlinburg frown on me running off with their inventory...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scrappy RN

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a free prize anyway though, lol, I probably wouldn't have bought it and just continued to feed a variety of things. Just experimenting like the mad scientist I aspire to be! [emoji13]

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I know how much juice my trickle charger can charge and it keeps up with the amount of "juice" that my tablet uses, I'm good?

Hey @Paul B I don't use brine shrimp very often but I do believe that occasional treats don't hurt. The fish absolutely love them! My kids survived and are thriving and super healthy compared to a lot of kids these days

Scrappy, as a Nurse you should know better than to give your kids brine shrimp. even if they do love them. :p

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there Scrappy. The strainer is a good idea. I would like to give you a little advice that you do not have to listen to. I would not use those shrimp to feed anything as they are about the worst food there is ...

These frozen shrimp in particular, or frozen shrimp (Brine, Mysis etc..) in general?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back