OP
OP
Maximus93101

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So have you had any problems on the reefwave? My constantly disconnects, won't change modes have to like reboot it, all from the app though the manual controls work fine. Mine won't update the firmware either but says there's an update.
In the begining, yes, as I just didn't understancd some things initially...
1) For the Wi-Fi, I think it likes 2.5MHz Wi-Fi bands more that 5MHz, so perhaps try it on a 2.5MHz band?

Also, I am in a 1 bedroom apartment, and my ReefWave is maybe
7-8 feet away from my wireless hotspot, so connectivity has not been an issue for me.

2) I couldnt get my app to connect to the ReefWave, until I figured out that I need it to be in "ReefBeat Mode" on the controller. Why there is a separate mode for that is beyond me, but once I figured that out, I could controll the device quite easily.

Most of my issues were because I didn't RTFM (Read The FANTASTIC Manual) so they were self-inflicted errors becasue it didn't work the way I thought it should.

Other than that, I have been quite pleased. Again, i will reserve judgement until I get some sticks in the box and see how they like the flow then.

Bsnow0053

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the begining, yes, as I just didn't understancd some things initially...
1) For the Wi-Fi, I think it likes 2.5MHz Wi-Fi bands more that 5MHz, so perhaps try it on a 2.5MHz band?

Also, I am in a 1 bedroom apartment, and my ReefWave is maybe
7-8 feet away from my wireless hotspot, so connectivity has not been an issue for me.

2) I couldnt get my app to connect to the ReefWave, until I figured out that I need it to be in "ReefBeat Mode" on the controller. Why there is a separate mode for that is beyond me, but once I figured that out, I could controll the device quite easily.

Most of my issues were because I didn't RTFM (Read The FANTASTIC Manual) so they were self-inflicted errors becasue it didn't work the way I thought it should.

Other than that, I have been quite pleased. Again, i will reserve judgement until I get some sticks in the box and see how they like the flow then.
Yea idk what the issue is, I emailed red sea been talking to them, but I read the full manual and mines in the reefbeat mode but when I change any of the wave settings or patterns about 70% of the time it'll say it saved and stops running like it's supposed to, but then doesn't actually change the setting just stays on the one I had before I edited it or change the wave pattern completely

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maximus93101

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TRAGEDY!

CF83D97D-8C6A-43A2-81DC-47C360FC1294_1_201_a.jpeg

I went to feed my tank this morning and found a piece of jerky on the floor, in front of my tank. My poor Tiger Watchman Goby somehow got out. I am scratching my head, as the lid was on tight and he is also a bottom dweller, so he must have become spooked the last time I fed the tank and had the lid off and jumped and I did not notice.

Ugh... I loved this little guy. He never bonded with my Pistol Shrimp, whcih disappointed me slightly, but I loved watching him sift sand and make his burrows. He will be replaced, but for now RIP.

Bsnow0053

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea idk what the issue is, I emailed red sea been talking to them, but I read the full manual and mines in the reefbeat mode but when I change any of the wave settings or patterns about 70% of the time it'll say it saved and stops running like it's supposed to, but then doesn't actually change the setting just stays on the one I had before I edited it or change the wave pattern completely
So I ended up resolving my issue with the reefwave, so I run all my aquarium equipment off of 2.4ghz because that's the only thing it can run off. Well I realized when my 3 children aren't here and not on tablets and switches and xboxs my reefbeat app works flawlessly. With that being said I switched all of their stuff to the 5ghz bandwidth and haven't had a problem since with the reefbeat app connecting al, also moved it up on the priority list on 2.4 and it's so nice now I love it, also red sea was such a help even though it was my own error.

OP
OP
Maximus93101

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ended up resolving my issue with the reefwave, so I run all my aquarium equipment off of 2.4ghz because that's the only thing it can run off. Well I realized when my 3 children aren't here and not on tablets and switches and xboxs my reefbeat app works flawlessly. With that being said I switched all of their stuff to the 5ghz bandwidth and haven't had a problem since with the reefbeat app connecting al, also moved it up on the priority list on 2.4 and it's so nice now I love it, also red sea was such a help even though it was my own error.
Oh wow, so your 2.4ghz band was at the maximum number of devices! Glad you got it resolved. It's problems liek that, that make you bang your head against the wall. You thinkthe issue is with the ReefWave, but it is actually your home router. Glad you got it resolved!

OP
OP
Maximus93101

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did a little search online, as I am very much interested in the Mode Aquariums PLS-50 Elite II Nano Protein skimmer.

Knowing there have been issues with their customer service, I looked up their address, and it turns out they are located just three miles away from a site that I support, AND... I just happen to be going to said site on Wednesday to do some prep for a wireless upgrade that is going to happen soon. I figure I will swing by Mode and see "what's up" and hopefully buy a PLS-50 in person.

Having said that, I did a Google search for the address, did a Street View" and it looks like the suite is currently being unused (eg, it looks to be vacant). I'll post in a new thread on what my findings are, but not liking my chances, I have started looking for alternative skimmers as I am giving myself about a 20% chance of coming home with a new PLS-50 Elite II Protein Skimmer.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did a little search online, as I am very much interested in the Mode Aquariums PLS-50 Elite II Nano Protein skimmer.

Knowing there have been issues with their customer service, I looked up their address, and it turns out they are located just three miles away from a site that I support, AND... I just happen to be going to said site on Wednesday to do some prep for a wireless upgrade that is going to happen soon. I figure I will swing by Mode and see "what's up" and hopefully buy a PLS-50 in person.

Having said that, I did a Google search for the address, did a Street View" and it looks like the suite is currently being unused (eg, it looks to be vacant). I'll post in a new thread on what my findings are, but not liking my chances, I have started looking for alternative skimmers as I am giving myself about a 20% chance of coming home with a new PLS-50 Elite II Protein Skimmer.
Hope it works out. Great skimmer if you can actually get one. I love mine. Someone on here just got one in the last week or so.

OP
OP
Maximus93101

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interested to see what you find out. I would like one of these skimmers as well, but not too trusting of actually getting one
Well, I had to go to Ontario, CA to visit a site for work, but left early enough to go visit Mode Aquariiums and see if I could pick up a PLS-50 in person. As I suspected, I pulled up to the suite, and there was no signage on the door, and all of the curtains were pulled shut, thus screamiomng THIS SUITE IS EMPTY AND READY TO BE RENTED".

Just as I pulled up, a UPS driver was dropping off a package to the business next door, so I popped my head in and asked if the aquarium shop next door was gone, and the guy said yes. About 5-6 weeks ago.

Having said that, it COULD be that only the aquariun construction has been shut down, or PERHAPS they simply moved the shop and are still fulfilling orders for the skimmer, but... Lets just say that I wasn't overly optimistic and did NOT pursue ordering online "Just in Case".

Too bad... I was really looking forward to that skimmer, as the tank is going to get a MASSIVE gear upgrade over the next week. Let's just say that the order is in, and I am patiently waiting until next week, which just happens t be my birthday, so "Happy Birthday to me" ;0)

As far as the skimmer goes, If Mode Aquariums really really is going out of business, I hope somebody (Maybe BRS?) buys the rights to continue supplying this wonderful little skimmer.

OP
OP
Maximus93101

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added three new inhabitants to the tank today!

1) Yasha Goby (Stonogobiops yasha) Hi Fin Red Banded Goby (Stonogobiops nematodes) to replace the Tiger Watchman who went carpet surfing earlier this week. Hoping this guy pairs up with my pistol shrimp. No pictures available, as he immediately went into the rockwork when thee pistol shrimp live and I have not seen him since. (Its only been a couple of hours) Hope to see him in a day or two. (Generic picture from the web)

Yasha Goby.png

2) Royal Gramma - Beautiful fish and hope he becomes a model citezen. I hear they like top swim on their sides and even upside down, from time to time. Looking forward to observing this behavior.

IMG_0148.jpeg

3) Red Banded Pistol Shrimp (Alpheus randalli) I have always wanted one of these beautiful shrimp, but never pulled the trigger until today. Looking forward to watching this guy do his shrimpy thing.

IMG_0141.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maximus93101

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I had to go to Ontario, CA to visit a site for work, but left early enough to go visit Mode Aquariiums and see if I could pick up a PLS-50 in person. As I suspected, I pulled up to the suite, and there was no signage on the door, and all of the curtains were pulled shut, thus screamiomng THIS SUITE IS EMPTY AND READY TO BE RENTED".

Just as I pulled up, a UPS driver was dropping off a package to the business next door, so I popped my head in and asked if the aquarium shop next door was gone, and the guy said yes. About 5-6 weeks ago.

Having said that, it COULD be that only the aquariun construction has been shut down, or PERHAPS they simply moved the shop and are still fulfilling orders for the skimmer, but... Lets just say that I wasn't overly optimistic and did NOT pursue ordering online "Just in Case".

Too bad... I was really looking forward to that skimmer, as the tank is going to get a MASSIVE gear upgrade over the next week. Let's just say that the order is in, and I am patiently waiting until next week, which just happens t be my birthday, so "Happy Birthday to me" ;0)

As far as the skimmer goes, If Mode Aquariums really really is going out of business, I hope somebody (Maybe BRS?) buys the rights to continue supplying this wonderful little skimmer.
Reading Toddah's thread <HERE> He mentioned that he had ordered and received a PLS-50. After seeing what I saw yesterday, (eg the vacancy of their building) I swallowed hard and ordered one, in order to test the proverbial waters... Long story shorgt, I got notified via email this evening (eg the SAME DAY) that it has shipped!

The skimmer in Toddah's post seems to be slightly different thant the one pictured on teh Mode Aquariium site so it will be interesting to see what I receive. I'll keep you all posted!

OP
OP
Maximus93101

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading Toddah's thread <HERE> He mentioned that he had ordered and received a PLS-50. After seeing what I saw yesterday, (eg the vacancy of their building) I swallowed hard and ordered one, in order to test the proverbial waters... Long story shorgt, I got notified via email this evening (eg the SAME DAY) that it has shipped!

The skimmer in Toddah's post seems to be slightly different thant the one pictured on teh Mode Aquariium site so it will be interesting to see what I receive. I'll keep you all posted!
Hmm... I think I may have been pre-mature as a closer look shows that a "Label has been created". The package is not yet in transit. I shouldn't do any celebrating until it has physically shipped. Keeping a close eye on things...

OP
OP
Maximus93101

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added to the cleanup crew today. Received the following from SaltwaterAquarium.com

10 x Nassarius Snails
1 x Brittle Star

I made a large equipmwnt purchase from SWA which should arrive Monday (In anticipation of my birthday on Wednesday ;0) and decided to try out SWA alive cleanup crew selections nd tacked on some inverts to my order. So far, the brittle star and nine of the ten Nassarius snails imediately dove into the sand upon acclimating and being introduced to the tank. One, solitary snail is a bit of a slow mover and has yet to bury himself in the sand. Will keep an eye on him over the next hour and see how he does.

OP
OP
Maximus93101

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update:

Here is a shot of how it looks today, in preparation for big changes coming on Monday. Here's a hint... Added the 15 gallon tank full of R/O water on the floor, and I am including the randomly placed gadgets on the wall for future refrence ;0)

7238C621-458A-4BD8-A4B5-2B6E2248E061.jpeg

BDCDF78A-0DD0-40F0-B265-59D05FAA317D.jpeg

Also a couple of critter pics just for fun. These were taken with an iPhone and the Neptune Sky in Photo Mode.

ED58128E-A677-4145-A6A2-EDA5C3F23EB7_1_201_a.jpeg

2FDE0FDE-862D-4A88-BD7C-6E33A7856E2A_1_201_a.jpeg

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So did CAD just change their name or did Mode buy them? I have that skimmer but bought it a few years ago under the CAD name.

Methodzx860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Scape ! I just got mine a week ago and am waiting to move to set it up. Upgrading from a 20 nuvo to the 50 nuvo. Cant wait

How are you liking the tank so far ?

OP
OP
Maximus93101

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did CAD just change their name or did Mode buy them? I have that skimmer but bought it a few years ago under the CAD name.
From what I understand (someone correct me if I am worng) but Mode bought them, and now there seems to be some questions as to wheter or not Mode is a healthy viable company.

OP
OP
Maximus93101

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Scape ! I just got mine a week ago and am waiting to move to set it up. Upgrading from a 20 nuvo to the 50 nuvo. Cant wait

How are you liking the tank so far ?
So far I am really enjoying the size. It isa perfect for my little one bedroom apartment.

Having said that, after a 15 year absence from the hobby, I decided to get the AIO in order to "Keep things simple". That plan went right out the window in the first couple of weeksa, and now I wish I had a sump. Finding a suitable protein skimmer or even introducing a roller mat would be so much nicer and easier for what I want to do. Oh well... I guess I can go that route when I decide to upgrade ;0)

Having said that, the build quality of the tank and stand have been top notch so far. Other than the lack of having a sump, I am really enjoying the tank so far.

Back