OP
OP
Maximus93101

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting the SR60 mainly cause I have a rather expensive light on my 30l that fits. Otherwise, I was looking at the 50 lagoon.
Well then it worked out for you. The extra space will make aquascaping easier and the extra water volume will help with stability. Be sure to make a thread when you start to get it set up.

Also, for the record, the Krypler hack of putting the tank on top of a Home Depot butcher block with heavy duty casters has been a GOD SEND! Home depot will cut the buther block for you in the store. I HIGHLY recomend that hack

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frankly, I don't think its worth it. It is only 6" longer and over $800 more expensive. I would save the cash and get a neptune controller or some other gear. OR... Get another tank that has a proper sump.

In fact, going to SaltwaterAquarium.com, And BRS, the 50 Gallon AIO with Stand is on sale for $1090.54. SWA Has black only, BRS has both black and white.
IM has a sale going on right now. Everyone is going to be the same price since they are MAP. I do like how BRS is charging $300 to ship even though it is drop shipped from IM just like at SWA, which is only charging $99. I guess that is there way of making an easy $200 profit. Their takeover by a big corporation may be showing more and more.

I may order 1 this weekend from SWA. I'm also considering the 47 gallon Planet Aquarium AIO tank. It is almost identical to the IM 50 lagoon but is a few hundred cheaper. Plus they are local to me and the LFS I deal with has them in stock. That would mean I could see what I was buying and it is an easy swap if there is something wrong.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM has a sale going on right now. Everyone is going to be the same price since they are MAP. I do like how BRS is charging $300 to ship even though it is drop shipped from IM just like at SWA, which is only charging $99. I guess that is there way of making an easy $200 profit. Their takeover by a big corporation may be showing more and more.

I may order 1 this weekend from SWA. I'm also considering the 47 gallon Planet Aquarium AIO tank. It is almost identical to the IM 50 lagoon but is a few hundred cheaper. Plus they are local to me and the LFS I deal with has them in stock. That would mean I could see what I was buying and it is an easy swap if there is something wrong.
I guess I got lucky. I was charged the standard $150 to get mine shipped.

MaD_ReefeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you consider the IM 60 at all? I've been wanting the 60 but I just can't bring myself to pay the huge price increase for just 10 more gallons of space. I have gotten to the final checkout screen a couple of times and then just shut it down.
You know I didn't even look at their line of SR tanks, I thought the fusions were the only AIOs until now lol. The 50 was the biggest fusion, I was originally going for the 40 and thought eh why not. But as Maximus mentioned, even if I would have checked then out, it's a pretty big jump up from the 50s price point. I have always been a fan of the shallow tanks but for almost double what the 50 lagoon is going for don't think I would have changed my decision.

Actually My biggest debate at the time of checkout was whether I wanted white or black lol, at the time I had a pair of white AI 16 HDs which I ended up selling because I wanted to try a different type of lighting (and well, now they wouldn't match the cabinet lol). I'm still not even sure which direction I'm going with that just yet.

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a friend who experienced this same deal. We didn’t notice this until after he ordered the tank. He contacted BRS and once he provided that other places were only charging $99 for shipping they were quick to refund the difference and stated it was a mistake. I’m not sure if that’s true if other people are still having the same issue as it sounds like they have not resolved it. (My guess is unless you say something they get the extra money, just a theory though) none the less they corrected it and made it right in this situation without any hassle. So customer service was still great

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I didn't even look at their line of SR tanks, I thought the fusions were the only AIOs until now lol. The 50 was the biggest fusion, I was originally going for the 40 and thought eh why not. But as Maximus mentioned, even if I would have checked then out, it's a pretty big jump up from the 50s price point. I have always been a fan of the shallow tanks but for almost double what the 50 lagoon is going for don't think I would have changed my decision.

Actually My biggest debate at the time of checkout was whether I wanted white or black lol, at the time I had a pair of white AI 16 HDs which I ended up selling because I wanted to try a different type of lighting (and well, now they wouldn't match the cabinet lol). I'm still not even sure which direction I'm going with that just yet.
Did you actually try the AIs and not like them? That was one of my choices if I end up with the 50. The other light I was thinking about was the Noopsyche light. I have a reefbreeder on my current tank and like it but they have gotten out of my price range over the last few years.

MaD_ReefeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you actually try the AIs and not like them? That was one of my choices if I end up with the 50. The other light I was thinking about was the Noopsyche light. I have a reefbreeder on my current tank and like it but they have gotten out of my price range over the last few years.
I didn't use the AI's at all, I never setup the 20g aside from putting water into it. When I chose to upgrade the tank I decided I wanted to try going with a single unit if possible, and the fact that the AI's were white I thought they wouldn't look as "pretty" since they wouldn't match the cabinet lol. I've been really tempted to go with a kessil AP9X, because of the shimmer

OP
OP
Maximus93101

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now for a little fun.

Here are my Nassarius Snails going nuts after I dropped a frozen mysis shrimp cube into my tank.

Next, my Yellow Watchman Goby and Tiger Pistol Shrimp defending their den from the ferocious purple firefish.

More of the same ;0)

Last edited:

MaD_ReefeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, for the record, the Krypler hack of putting the tank on top of a Home Depot butcher block with heavy duty casters has been a GOD SEND! Home depot will cut the buther block for you in the store. I HIGHLY recomend that hack
Planning on running out and getting a block tomorrow, picking up the tank today finally :cool: I am debating on staining the block since my stand is black. Thought about painting it but not sure that will look as nice ( I really have no idea on staining either, I've never been a handy or home improvement type person lol just wanting to make it a bit darker)

OP
OP
Maximus93101

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on running out and getting a block tomorrow, picking up the tank today finally :cool: I am debating on staining the block since my stand is black. Thought about painting it but not sure that will look as nice ( I really have no idea on staining either, I've never been a handy or home improvement type person lol just wanting to make it a bit darker)
When I bought my butcher block at Home Depot, I also picked up a bottle of Howard butcher block conditioner and just used that. Seems to be working just fine and it’s only $10.00 for a bottle

OP
OP
Maximus93101

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They Live!

I found my Yasha Goby Hi Fin Red Banded Goby/Red Banded Pistol Shrimp pair after fearing I had lost them as they were both MIA sine the day I introduced them on April 20.

Now that I know where their den is, I can target feed them with a baster to ensure they get enough food.

Their lair is on the same base rock as my Yellow Watchman/Tiger Stripe Pistol Shrinp, but they are on oppisite sides of the rock. The Yellow Watchman/Tiger Pistol are on the far right hand side of the tank, while the Yasha Hi Fin/Red Banded Pistol Shrimp are on the left hand side of the rock work, towards the middle of the tank.

7CD3FC93-6FB5-4A1E-B948-58CCBDB208AE_1_201_a.jpeg

Hopefully at some point I will be able to get a picture or some video of these guys, but so far every time I move towards the tank, they see me, get spooked and zp back into their den. They are much more shy than my Yellow Watchman/Tiger Pistol pair.

Last edited:

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then it worked out for you. The extra space will make aquascaping easier and the extra water volume will help with stability. Be sure to make a thread when you start to get it set up.

Why is the butcher block so great a hack?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend who experienced this same deal. We didn’t notice this until after he ordered the tank. He contacted BRS and once he provided that other places were only charging $99 for shipping they were quick to refund the difference and stated it was a mistake. I’m not sure if that’s true if other people are still having the same issue as it sounds like they have not resolved it. (My guess is unless you say something they get the extra money, just a theory though) none the less they corrected it and made it right in this situation without any hassle. So customer service was still great
Well I ordered my tank and was charged $300 shipping. I emailed BRS support as soon as I got the confirmation for the order. I haven't heard anything back from them yet. Hope I get the refund, if not I will probably never order anything from them again.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because putting the tank on what is effectively a dolly allows you to move it easily for cleaning the floor or doing maintenance. It was the single best choice I made with my tank.
I would never move it so I don't see needing them. Plus I'm on carpet so moving wouldn't be easy.

H2Orchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your tank! I was wondering about the difference between an AIO and a tank with a sump. My understanding is that an AIO usually has a built in sump but I'm guessing I'm wrong??

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back