[ new & in stock ] The IceCap Battery Backup v2.0 ⚡

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Will this work with the sicce sdc pumps or stream wave maker?
Here is what a pump needs in order to work with the battery:

1) Pump must be 24v
2) Pump must have a detachable power supply brick

If these pumps match that criteria, then they are compatible. :D

Since the battery is 24V, the pump will not be able to detect or differentiate when it is running on battery power so the pump controller WILL NOT slow down the pump to extend the battery life. If the battery were 12V, then the pump controller would be able to do that as long as the manufacturer has preprogrammed that on the controller circuitry.

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks Jeff. Would the concern still exists if the backup battery outputs less than 24V on whether the COR20 would not function or might be damaged?
My concern is mostly just tempering people's expectations of how long their pumps will run while on battery power. This new 24V model allows more pumps to work with it, which is a big selling point. But it also means a pump will not recognize it is on battery power, so it will not automatically slow down. We are going to release an updated 12V model, which I think is what most hobbyists are accustomed to, later this year.

Dillon H

View Badges
Reaction score
Jeff, I hate to throw another application question at you but I think this might actually work for me. Neptune WAV pumps are 24v. They do not use a separate power supply per se, they (in my case with a classic apex) connect to a 1Link module. You can connect up to three pumps to a single 1Link module. The 1Link module uses a standard 24v power supply. The apex can monitor ac power from a separate power supply (not on backup) and be programmed to run my WAVs at a lower setting when the power is lost. I think this will work for me. Can you think of a reason that it wouldn’t? If you release a new 12v unit I think I could run my apex off that way longer than a UPS, plus two of the 24v units for my pumps and I’m golden! Thanks for this!

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Jeff, I hate to throw another application question at you but I think this might actually work for me. Neptune WAV pumps are 24v. They do not use a separate power supply per se, they (in my case with a classic apex) connect to a 1Link module. You can connect up to three pumps to a single 1Link module. The 1Link module uses a standard 24v power supply. The apex can monitor ac power from a separate power supply (not on backup) and be programmed to run my WAVs at a lower setting when the power is lost. I think this will work for me. Can you think of a reason that it wouldn’t? If you release a new 12v unit I think I could run my apex off that way longer than a UPS, plus two of the 24v units for my pumps and I’m golden! Thanks for this!
It sounds to us like this would work, but not having tried it ourselves we just can't say for certain.

Dillon H

View Badges
Reaction score
It sounds to us like this would work, but not having tried it ourselves we just can't say for certain.
Thank you Jeff. I know you can’t promise anything on this. Neptune gave me the it will void the warranty, do so at your own risk blanket statement. I’m certain that it will work so I’m going to gamble and try one out. If it works I’ll add a second to extend the run time. Thanks again!

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you Jeff. I know you can’t promise anything on this. Neptune gave me the it will void the warranty, do so at your own risk blanket statement. I’m certain that it will work so I’m going to gamble and try one out. If it works I’ll add a second to extend the run time. Thanks again!
Good luck! Please report back and let us know so we'll be able to help future users!

Joe Anderson

View Badges
Reaction score
You can use this battery backup with the HYDROS WaveEngine. However, it's important to note that this new 24V model is not going to trigger Lower Power mode in the WaveEngine which will reduce the intensity of the pump to extend the battery life. We are going to release a new 12V battery that will be a better option for the WE. But either will work!

Love it! Thank you so much for your support! ;Happy
How do you connect the Wave Engine to the Ice cap battery backup? Where is the cable?

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
How do you connect the Wave Engine to the Ice cap battery backup? Where is the cable?
I am so sorry this was never answered! I had to take a step back from social media for a couple of weeks to keep up with my marketing responsibilities (which sounds ironic), and it appears I missed this message and another from you in another thread which I will now answer.

There will be a special cable that you can purchase that will allow you to connect to a 12V battery backup, like the original IceCap model. You won't be able to use a simple Y-cable as it does not have the GX-12 connectors which are required by the WaveEngine to keep its IP65 rating. Unfortunately, the cable was not available when the WaveEngine was released.

We are also working on a HYDROS battery backup. :) I'll follow up with the HYDROS team to see how both of these are coming along. Would you mind emailing me at [email protected] so we can continue the conversation?

salty.nall

View Badges
Reaction score
I find it frustrating that the most important detail about this product isn't mentioned. What is the capacity of the battery inside (Amp Hours)? Knowing that would make figuring out about how long it would keep any device running simple. (Capacity of Battery * voltage (24 in this case)) / watts of device (just read powerbrick to determine Amps * Voltage). Of course if the device ramps up and down it will change the runtime, but at least there is an easy way to make basic runtime estimates without having to ask for every single device we own. I apologize in advance if this info is listed somewhere and I missed it, but in my opinion this should be the first thing mentioned about any backup device.

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
There's an easy way to tell of your pump, wavemaker, light, etc will work with this.

Look at the box that plugs into the wall. All UL listed power supplies will have an "output" line like the one in this photo.

If your output line says "24V", and has that three dots with a line above it to denote "DC voltage" like this photo, AND that last part that in this photo says "1.75A" meaning 1.75 amps is equal to or less than 2.5A, then your device is most likely going to work as long as the connectors are the same.

One scenario where it wouldn't be compatible, all other things being good, is if your device uses a non standard configuration that reverses the positive/negative in the barrel connector.

IMG_20200402_164005002~2.jpg

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
I find it frustrating that the most important detail about this product isn't mentioned. What is the capacity of the battery inside (Amp Hours)? Knowing that would make figuring out about how long it would keep any device running simple. (Capacity of Battery * voltage (24 in this case)) / watts of device (just read powerbrick to determine Amps * Voltage). Of course if the device ramps up and down it will change the runtime, but at least there is an easy way to make basic runtime estimates without having to ask for every single device we own. I apologize in advance if this info is listed somewhere and I missed it, but in my opinion this should be the first thing mentioned about any backup device.
I talked to the team and found out the answer is 2.5Ah, so we will add this information to the website!

For example, if you have a 2.5Ah battery that runs a pump that is drawing 0.2 Amps (0.2Amps = 200mA), then the time that the battery will last for is (2500)/(0.2*1000) = (2500)/(200)= 12.5 Hours.

If instead of the current you have voltage and watts, then the formula is (mAh*Volts)/(Watts*1000) = (hours). If you have a pump that is drawing 24volts and 20 watts from the battery, then (2500*10)/(20*1000) or 25000/20000 = 1.25 hrs

Adam_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Just wanted to confirm before I pulled the trigger on a new pump: Is this backup compatible with the Maxspect Gypre XF350s? If so, how long at a say... 50% flow will it work?

Thanks!

(I was also looking at MP40s as the battery backup is a big deal to me)

[email protected]

View Badges
Reaction score
Just wanted to confirm before I pulled the trigger on a new pump: Is this backup compatible with the Maxspect Gypre XF350s? If so, how long at a say... 50% flow will it work?

Thanks!

(I was also looking at MP40s as the battery backup is a big deal to me)
Yes, but the controller will not be able to detect the change in power source because the battery is 24V and not 12V. So if you lose power, the controller will continue to run the pumps normally and not change to battery mode. Then the life of the battery will depend on the type of flow, the intensity of the flow, how clean/dirty the pumps are plus how old is the battery and how many times it has been fully discharged.

Same applies to the ETM pumps.

Do you think a xenia refugium is an effective method of water filtration?

• Yes

Votes: 65 11.5%
  • No

Votes: 89 15.8%
  • Maybe considering the set up

Votes: 90 16.0%
  • Never considered it

Votes: 312 55.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 1.2%

Online statistics

Members online