New Innovative Marine 30L aquarium Filtration setup ideas and new fish???

ThecitydatREEDS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am new to the forum. I just recently purchase an Innovative Marine 30L aquarium and stand (the people at IM are great by the way!). I am basically only doing a couple of fish that I transferred from my old tank and some beginner corals. I am trying to figure out the best filtration since they give you so many options. I kind of want to stay away from a refugium personal preference. I have seen a couple of diagrams people put together that are very helpful. Purigen and seachem matrix??? Never used them before. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. I will post pictures soon!

In my tank now:
2 clown paired
2 firefish paired

Got rid of diamond goby since he got too big and moved too much sand (sadly)

Looking for ideas:
New ground fish like flame hawkfish?
Need idea for 1 new cool fish which may have to be upgraded to bigger tank

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some filtration options

Purigen chemical media, is like charged up activated carbon, but will not leach back when it's full, and you can also re-charge that chemical media.

Matrix is a biomedia that is for growing bacteria for the nitrogen cycle.
It can get you down to nitrates, but it take a lot of that media to grow enough denitrifying bacteria to gas off your nitrates compared to your reef's AIO size.

Weekly water changes should surface with your nitrates.

OP
OP
T

ThecitydatREEDS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some filtration options

Purigen chemical media, is like charged up activated carbon, but will not leach back when it's full, and you can also re-charge that chemical media.

Matrix is a biomedia that is for growing bacteria for the nitrogen cycle.
It can get you down to nitrates, but it take a lot of that media to grow enough denitrifying bacteria to gas off your nitrates compared to your reef's AIO size.

Weekly water changes should surface with your nitrates.
Thank you for you comment. I understand some have probably asked the same questions but i do appreciate your time! I will look into it!

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need idea for 1 new cool fish which may have to be upgraded to bigger tank
Captive bred Marine Betta!! Such a cool fish. They should be so much more popular than they are. I suspect with recent successes in breeding they will become so.

Mine is about 2.2" and has a lot of personality. They have a reputation for being reclusive, or timid, but she will greet me with a display whenever I put my face near the glass. Mine only shares the 30L with a clown, and they've never shown any aggression towards each other. They're slow movers, and I don't think she feels cramped. Not a "nervous" fish like tangs. They also have a reputation for being extremely hardy, often lone survivors of a tank crash.

I'm going to use mine as an excuse to get a bigger tank someday.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back