deedubz

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM wont cure flukes. You need prazipro. Which is actually reef safe

Correct. They were treated with prazi for 3 weeks. That took out some of the flukes but not all. I'm doing ttm because I have a 180g coming in April. A few of these fish are from my pre quarantine days. The ttm is to eradicate any possible ich. I'm simultaneously doing 5 days of hypo followed by my my being fallow for 76-90 days

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it sucks (been there before myself), but you are doing what is needed to hit the “reset button” on your new tank.

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it sucks (been there before myself), but you are doing what is needed to hit the “reset button” on your new tank.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. It really does suck lol. I'm nervous because I've never done ttm before and now I'm having to do it on several fish at once. That said, I think the hardest part was motivating myself(and waiting 3 days for help) to actually get the fish out of the display. I think I got this. If and when I catch that last goby I can just use a bucket for his transfers

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting til this evening to do the first move so I can dump loads of food in the current tank today. Everyone is active and eating so I'll keep feeding small meals since there'll be no water quality consequence.

On another note, it's looking like I didn't nuke my nems when I had to shake up my substrate. It's not as open as much as usual, but the LTA is touching front and rear glass (12") and not gaping. The btas are a little more stressed still, but I think they'll be fine

IMG_3386.JPG

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I have a couple questions for you.

My acriflavine ms came in yesterday and I was thinking about doing baths between transfers. I read your write-up about it from a couple years ago. Has there been any long term problems associated with it like with formalin? Also, are wrasses sensitive to it? If either of these are true, I'll just forego using it. Can multiple fish be bathed at once and can, like a freshwater dip that's being aerated, I drop one(or a couple) fish after the other in the same bath?

Lastly, how often can prime be used in an emergency if I know I'm not going to use other meds in the transfer totes? Thank you!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has there been any long term problems associated with it like with formalin? Also, are wrasses sensitive to it?

No & no. It's a pretty mild antiseptic. :)

Can multiple fish be bathed at once and can, like a freshwater dip that's being aerated, I drop one(or a couple) fish after the other in the same bath?

The only issue is ensuring you are providing enough oxygen for all the fish in the bath water, since acriflavine will deplete O2 once dosed in water. For this reason, it's safer to use it on one fish at a time.

Lastly, how often can prime be used in an emergency if I know I'm not going to use other meds in the transfer totes? Thank you!

Prime will only bind ammonia for up to 48 hours. If ammonia is still present after that time frame, it gets released back into the water. :eek: So, you have to keep re-dosing Prime as needed. (The only way ammonia would not still be present after 48 hrs is if a working biofilter had converted it to nitrites/nitrates by then.)

Also, Prime only "actively" binds ammonia for a 24-hour period. (And then continues to bind whatever it already has collected for up to 24 hrs after that - which is where the 48 hour total comes from.) However, if new ammonia is produced 24 hrs after first dosing then you must re-dose to bind that ammonia. Rinse & repeat this process every 24 hrs.

^^ Hopefully that all makes sense. :confused: BTW, I wouldn't use Prime (or any ammonia reducer) with ANY medication. The resulting interaction can be too risky, especially with copper.

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As always, thank you. It all makes sense. I think I'll hold off on the acriflavine then for now. With 8 fish I'd have to start transfers a week early lol.

As for the prime.. I asked because I have them all jammed up in a tote. I have a Red Sea test kit and I don't really care for the ammonia test. Depending on lighting you can read a 0 or .25. I wanted to play it safe so I went ahead and dosed today given the fish per water volume. I'll just dose every 24 hours til they've gone to a more permanent qt. Nobody is on death's door so I don't intend on any meds. 5 days of hypo after the final transfer for flukes. I'm just going to buy a 40 breeder(after ttm) instead of trying to mess with 2 qts.

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transfer one went well. Everyone is still kicking. I added a tiny piece of base rock and a bottle of pods for my dragonet. I ended up buying 6 bottles total, one for each transfer. That was expensive lol.

I have one last question... Given I can't use a seeded sponge, what's my safest way to quick cycle my 40g qt? Unfortunately I cannot set it up until the last transfer(from tote to tote). One of the totes is currently sitting on my qt stand. I'd have 2-3 days to get it going. I bought two power filters, an aquaclear 50 and a 20. I also bought two bottles of bio spira..One large and one small. Should I toss in a couple pieces of base rock in hopes of the bacteria clinging to them? I'll also be working on increasing salinity by then. Will bottled bacteria survive lower salinity?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, @Big G .. I'm assuming I soak in fresh saltwater, but how long should I let it soak for?

I did order a couple pouches of biomax specifically for the aquaclears. Thanks again

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, @Big G .. I'm assuming I soak in fresh saltwater, but how long should I let it soak for?

I did order a couple pouches of biomax specifically for the aquaclears. Thanks again

I'd place the foam pads and the biomax pouches in a bowl, pour the Bi0-Spira over the pads and pouches and let soak overnight before using if possible. Add saltwater as needed to submerge the pads and pouches. After placing the pads and pouches into the aquaclears, pour the remaining liquid into the "tote".

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd place the foam pads and the biomax pouches in a bowl, pour the Bi0-Spira over the pads and pouches and let soak overnight before using if possible. Add saltwater as needed to submerge the pads and pouches. After placing the pads and pouches into the aquaclears, pour the remaining liquid into the "tote".

Sounds easy enough.. Thank you

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did transfer #2 last night. It went (mostly) well. Francois, my exquisite wrasse, decided he wanted to "swab the deck" with his body. Unfortunately this wasn't his first episode of carpet(wood floor) surfing. After a good night's sleep he appears no worse for wear. He ate and did his usual laps around the "tank" today. I'll keep a close eye on him and I do have that acriflavine, as well as some kanaplex, if I need to treat any wounds.

Salinity was sitting at about 1.012 before adding a little more water this evening. I have had to add a little baked baking soda a couple times but pH has been right around 8.0. I realize rapidly lowering sg isn't a big deal but I figure I have plenty of time. I'm going to hit 1.009-1.010 tomorrow and do the 5 days between the last 3 transfers. I'll setup qt right at 1.010 and top off water with my normal 1.026.

All in all, this isn't as scary as I'd thought it would be. I have been dosing prime daily just to play it safe. I can only imagine how much easier this will be with just a couple fish rather than 8. I will definitely be implementing this from now on

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning!

I just finished transfer 4 of 5 and all went well. I fed the heck out of them about 20 minutes prior to moving. Everyone ate, albeit some without their normal voracity, but I'm still content. I attribute the lack of appetite to the stress of moving them around so much and the lowered salinity. Sg has been right at 1.009 now since Monday. I'm going to do the 5th and final transfer on Saturday which will be exactly 12 days AFTER the initial transfer to the first tank(13 if I'm to include the first day itself). Sunday I'll start the slow and steady process of increasing salinity .002 per day. I'm thinking .001 every 12 hours if that sounds ok?

Just to clarify, this final transfer can go to their permanent qt, correct?

As always, thank you all for your help/suggestions/support!

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final transfer into qt was done about 2 hours ago. The exquisite wrasse, diamond goby, and the lawnmower blenny all hid for about an hour but have since been moving around. The blenny has even found a new perching spot on the barnacles.

I know rock and sand is frowned upon in qt but I had little choice. The diamond goby was stressed the entire time without a sand bed to sift and burrow. The dragonet also spends his evening in the sand and needs something for the 4 bottles of pods to hopefully colonize. I was unable to source a 40g and had to settle for a 29g tall. I do have an extra 10g if I need to set it up for maybe the clown and chromis to split the bio load. I'm just running out of room for tanks. The dragonet did lose a bit of weight but I'm hoping the pods I added, and the fact I'll be able to feed frozen/pellets more regularly, will help put some bulk back on.

IMG_20180310_121659118.jpg

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do, however, have one concern.

I noticed the clown has a scratch/cut down his right side. I also noticed what appears to be frayed scales. I took 2 dozen pictures but cannot get an image of it. Initially I thought it may still be flukes but they've been in hypo (1.009) for 5-6 days now. I see nothing on anyone else. It really looks like he scratched against something and now a couple scales are kinda hanging, which makes sense given the scratch.

Should I treat the entire qt with kanaplex or should I catch him this evening and give him his own bath? I have kana, metro, and acriflavine. I have multiple air pumps and a lifetime supply of air stones lol. If treating them all is the better option, I do have two oversized aquaclear filters and a ice cap 1k gyre in the qt(awesome by the way).

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back