New jbj 45 suggestions

pabst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I recently got a jbj 45 from reefapalooza this past weekend during the raffle I couldn’t believe it. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion on which equipment to set it up I’ve done some research and I’m leaning towards these items
-hydra26 led light with goose neck
-Eheim 150w heater
-Cad light 50 plus elite 2 protein skimmer
-Stock media baskets until I can afford to get intank ones
-Return pumps stock prob get a Solo sicce down the road or Tunze and do a split into the outflow
-Smart micro ato as I have that already from my recent set up
And a Refugium in the back sump with the IM chaeto light

Any other suggestions I am open for ideas

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I recently got a jbj 45 from reefapalooza this past weekend during the raffle I couldn’t believe it. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion on which equipment to set it up I’ve done some research and I’m leaning towards these items
-hydra26 led light with goose neck
-Eheim 150w heater
-Cad light 50 plus elite 2 protein skimmer
-Stock media baskets until I can afford to get intank ones
-Return pumps stock prob get a Solo sicce down the road or Tunze and do a split into the outflow
-Smart micro ato as I have that already from my recent set up
And a Refugium in the back sump with the IM chaeto light

Any other suggestions I am open for ideas

Welcome to R2R!

I saw that at RAP NY and I have the exact same JBJ 45 Flat Panel tank. If interested you can see my equipment list here

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/i-received-a-box-of-rocks-today.335926/

This tank comes with filter socks, not media baskets, so you may want to consider the options. Other than that your list looks good to me.

._Z_.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the raffle win! I’ve got the same tank. Your parts list sounds good to me with a few notes:

*I’ve got one intank media basket, it’s a TIGHT fit, I can’t even get it out now that I got it in. So do some close measuring on your tank baffles while dry. It looks like they install them by hand so the clearance can vary.

*Hydra 26 is a great light for this tank, I made a post on adding a diy diffuser if you’re interested.

*I replaced my stock returns after about 6 months with a reef octopus varios. One of the best upgrades I made, the stock are ok but this upgrade made it much quieter and increased flow.

*I’ve also got that IM refugium light, but I haven’t put it on yet. I’m not expecting it to make much of a difference in terms of nutrient control however.

Happy reefing and good luck!

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should note JBJ has two 45 gallon tanks available. The RL-45 with the rounded corners is what the InTank products are made for. The 45 Flat Panel filter compartments are each 2” deeper than the RL (the Flat Panel does not have that weird bottom area). I have the Fuge Basket for the heater chamber and it fits, but the handle is about an inch or so below the water line. Can be propped up with a base extension like egg crate or acrylic rods if needed.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other piece of equipment that will greatly help with stability is an auto top off (ATO). I went with the Tunze 3155 for the redundancy.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats and welcome to Reef to Reef, your list look good
I have the older Rl myself so it will be different
I also converted mine to have a overflow and have a sumo inside the stand
If your ever interested take a look at my build or PM me be happy to help

OP
OP
P

pabst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys. And yea it the flat panel one, I could use eggvrate and make around a 2 inch extension to the bottom on the intank basket. Caveman do you have any pictures of how your sump in the back is set up? I was also thinking of doing a chaeto reactor possibly if people think that would be more successful than one in one of the chambers. And bob the sump idea just makes me nervous due to I’m going to be in an apartment on the second floor, last thing I need is flooding.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys. And yea it the flat panel one, I could use eggvrate and make around a 2 inch extension to the bottom on the intank basket. Caveman do you have any pictures of how your sump in the back is set up? I was also thinking of doing a chaeto reactor possibly if people think that would be more successful than one in one of the chambers. And bob the sump idea just makes me nervous due to I’m going to be in an apartment on the second floor, last thing I need is flooding.

Mine is not wet yet, but I am considering chaeto with the InTank Fuge Basket in one of the heater chambers. It is just a pretty small volume, so not sure how useful that will be. I will then put the heaters in the return chamber (2x 150W Cobalts for redundancy on an Ink Bird controller). I have a Small CPR HOB Refugium, but worry about that on a rimless tank. I have also thought about a reactor for macro, but am wary of dealing with flow outside of the main tank. Still thinking about all options, but definitely plan on doing some kind of refugium.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha that’s funny
I’m on a 2nd floor Condo myself. Now you know why I have the JBJ 45 Gallon. Actually it’s the size
I haven’t had any issues with spillage at all other than my own fault

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for over four years now but I converted mine to have a sump inside my stand six months after I got it

Back