New kuiters (male) and chaoti leopard wrasses

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the executive decision to grow my leopard wrasse collection based on my successes thus far with this genus.

I thought I would make a thread about these more rare (and expensive) leopard wrasses.

I currently have:
- 3 male male blue star (m. Bipartus)
- 1 blue star female
- 2 regular leopard females (m. Melagris)
- 1 black leopard female (m. Negrosensis)
- 1 ornate leopard (unsure may be transitioning) (m. Ornatus)
- 1 potters leopard female (m. Geoffrey)

I also just sold a 1.25" black leopard juvenile that I had for over two months to a friend. He got stuck in overflow box because he was smaller than I expected and I left him there the entire time because I worried he would get bullied.

The kuiters wrasse is from live aquaria.he is about 4.5". He is beautiful (once acclimated I will post a photo) and arrived today. Just before the lights went out at 10:00 pm he ate several live black worms and was actively cruising the tank.

Chaoti (female perhaps transitioning also) is from Pet-solutions as a "large" (4") (who sources fish from quality marine, which is the same supplier to live aquaria and divers den). My leopards thus far have come from both vendors with the same level of success.

I might also point out that two male blue stars and the kuiters are tank mates with no females and no aggression at all despite vast size differences. The kuiters is by far the largest of the three. This makes me question conventional wisdom about make leopards. I am prepared to act should this change but they're all doing great.

The remaining leopards are all in my 125 wrasse tank without any issues. The ornate I suspect is transitioning is about the size of the large male blue star in this tank and I have seen Zero aggression.

The chaoti will be housed with the other leopard wrasses in the wrasse tank.

I will keep everyone posted. I've heard chaoti were difficult and I've read horror stories of dying kuiters leopards. I've read the same about the potters and cryptic black leopards but I am 1/1 on potters, 2/2 on black, and 3/4 on male blue stars which people have said are far tougher than the females (I whole heartedly disagree in my limited experience). Female blue stars gave me by far the most trouble with 1/7 being the track record with many DOA, a few disappearances, and one that vanished after one month. I am 2/3 with reg leopards. I hypothesize that quality marine struggles with female blue stars or my luck is terrible.

Here is a video of the wrasse tank (with the Chaoti). Put it in 720p

Here is the kuiters leopard in quarantine with the other (many) inhabitants: (again switch quality to 720p)

Last edited:
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Here are some photos I took (I turned the light on for a late feeding because I was gone all day).

Like many leopard wrasses, his color is a bit washed out, and the lighting on this tank is really unflattering. Here are some photos of the kuiters and two male blue stars:

I will upload more as he settles in and hopefully becomes even more brilliant.

Here is my new Chaoti:

Last edited:

Reflective

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Any tips on being successful with them? I would definitely like one in the future once my tank is older.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Any tips on being successful with them? I would definitely like one in the future once my tank is older.

I haven't succeeded yet, I will let you know! Lol

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FYI in the future you can post your uploaded images as a full image instead of just a thumbnail. Look here:

upload%20full_zpszbccjt4y.jpg

Gasdoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI in the future you can post your uploaded images as a full image instead of just a thumbnail. Look here:

upload%20full_zpszbccjt4y.jpg
[
They are one of the most difficult fish to ship.I would say over 50% of the many I've ordered and friends ordered were dead within 1 week,and the rest lasted about a month.Anyone that can keep one alive for a year deserves some kind of award .They will be on Australia time when they arrive and wake up in the middle of the night ,looking for food .If the other leopards pick on him,he will never make it .I've found that PE Mysis is their favorite food . Most die in prolonged quarantine too.I really think they should be left in the ocean ,rather than die in our tanks .

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks rev

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better? :)

Confuse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just like to thank you for buying the kuiter because I was about to buy it when I received the notification. Haha I previously had a male kuiter from LA but I lost it in a power outage. Mine never ate and it burried itself in the sand at 1pm. It was huge also! It also brought ich to my tank, so it's good that you're quarantining it. Even though it's from quality Marine, they're not quarantined like DD.

Good luck and keep the pictures coming!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even dd doesn't have quarantine procedures in place that guarantee parasite-free fish. Thanks, sorry I stole it! I bought it as soon as I got the notification lol!

Last edited:
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol my bad. I misread your first post
I've had success with many other leopard wrasse species, but this is my first attempt at m. Kuiteri and m. Chaoti

fiji411801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the second pic with the transitioning ornate? Be nice if it stuck like that

buzzword

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Leopards, have melagris and male Ornate right now . Had Kuiteri a couple years ago that was awesome, little female ate from the get go. Nutra Mar ova first then smaller hikari mysis. Live black worms should do the trick. Good luck, gonna follow along to see how it goes.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: photos on third post of new Chaoti on page one

I received the Chaoti large (4") and well. He swam for a few mins before hiding in the sand. I have a video I will post later. Kuiter is still doing well.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the second pic with the transitioning ornate? Be nice if it stuck like that
No those are male blue star leopards. They will be like that indefinitely

Back