OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update: videos of both fish as of today are posted on the first post of my thread.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite fish of all time.I've had no luck with them (0/6)will follow your experience closely.

I hope I have better luck. When did you try?

I've heard collection practices have improved people's successes in the past few years.

Videos now posted on first thread post.

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking male chaoti. We kept a female for a little over 11-months before it died without warning. Ate everything, ate frequently and we didn't experience any alk or temp swings within the previous 2-months of it passing away. Very difficult fish to keep long term but they are absolutely beautiful! I wish you the best of luck.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 male male blue star (m. Bipartus)
You're able to get away with it since you've played the numbers game to your advantage. At this point, there's enough potential targets in the tank that any time one fish gets angry, there are plenty of others for it to direct it's attention towards.

two male blue stars and the kuiters are tank mates with no females and no aggression at all despite vast size differences
But you're in the honeymoon phase at this point; I fear this peace will not last. For whatever reason, kuiteri is typically much more aggressive than its congeners.

I've heard chaoti were difficult
choati is difficult; the most difficult of the genus. The face the same issues as the other Marcopharyngodon species during shipping and after arrival, but they also face the issue of their internal clock not adjusting well either. Then, once or if you get through that transition, you (as you know) have to get them eating; no additional challenge there.
But the added icing on the ice of difficulty with choati, is there can be very sensitive to change once established (unlike it's congeners). Temperature swings can kill them. Alk swings have been known to kill them (and small ones at that - it's probably more of the pH fluctuation).

female blue stars or my luck is terrible
Honestly, you're the only one I've known to have so much difficult with them. They're typically one of the easiest (relatively speaking).

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking male chaoti. We kept a female for a little over 11-months before it died without warning. Ate everything, ate frequently and we didn't experience any alk or temp swings within the previous 2-months of it passing away. Very difficult fish to keep long term but they are absolutely beautiful! I wish you the best of luck.
Does Elliott still have his?
One of the recipes for success here is system volume (stability); something that fish has always had on it's side (being in the RC tank first, then into Elliott's).

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Elliott still have his?
One of the recipes for success here is system volume (stability); something that fish has always had on it's side (being in the RC tank first, then into Elliott's).

Yes, he does. And that's very likely the reason that fish has lived so long: both stints in aquariums where stability has been about as good as you can come by for a hobbiest.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're able to get away with it since you've played the numbers game to your advantage. At this point, there's enough potential targets in the tank that any time one fish gets angry, there are plenty of others for it to direct it's attention towards.

But you're in the honeymoon phase at this point; I fear this peace will not last. For whatever reason, kuiteri is typically much more aggressive than its congeners.

choati is difficult; the most difficult of the genus. The face the same issues as the other Marcopharyngodon species during shipping and after arrival, but they also face the issue of their internal clock not adjusting well either. Then, once or if you get through that transition, you (as you know) have to get them eating; no additional challenge there.
But the added icing on the ice of difficulty with choati, is there can be very sensitive to change once established (unlike it's congeners). Temperature swings can kill them. Alk swings have been known to kill them (and small ones at that - it's probably more of the pH fluctuation).

Honestly, you're the only one I've known to have so much difficult with them. They're typically one of the easiest (relatively speaking).

Yeah I know I don't know anyone else with that much difficulty with female Bipartus. My luck with males makes me wonder.

If the kuiters male goes nuts, I'm happy removing both male Bipartus. Hoping it works out for me though

Gasdoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Choati will be on Australia time.I don't think Quality Marine had them for long,so check for him cruising at night . They pop their heads out and take a look first ,I've seen this behavior .If the coast is clear ,they will take a swim .If. your other leopards are aggressive ,he will dive back in the sand .At night ,he may find some Pods to eat,or just dive back.You need to catch him when he is out and get him to eat,otherwise he is not going yo make it. I'm stressed just worrying about him.lol ..... Good luck , if you are successful,I will try again myself,with the forbidden fruit of reef fish.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Choati will be on Australia time.I don't think Quality Marine had them for long,so check for him cruising at night . They pop their heads out and take a look first ,I've seen this behavior .If the coast is clear ,they will take a swim .If. your other leopards are aggressive ,he will dive back in the sand .At night ,he may find some Pods to eat,or just dive back.You need to catch him when he is out and get him to eat,otherwise he is not going yo make it. I'm stressed just worrying about him.lol ..... Good luck , if you are successful,I will try again myself,with the forbidden fruit of reef fish.

I've never had any issues, I just let them hide as long as they need. My black leopard I have now hid for over two weeks. Thought him dead. When it's dark, it's DARK. No light in the basement. No idea how they make it, but they do. I have succeeded with 10 or so other leopard wrasses, so hopefully the same "methods" (or dumb luck) will help. The resident wrasses aren't very aggressive. I did get the largest size Choati (and the price along with it but it sounds like I came out like a bandit since mine is a large male) they had because I wanted him to have the best chance. (Aggression, acclimation, whatever).

I did see my black leopard peeking out of the sand for the two weeks after he emerged (he hid for a few days at a time but you could see him stick his head out to scope). They're goofy little creatures. I really hope he makes it. I have great luck with leopards (aside female Bipartus), better than I see from so many others. I'm either doing something right, the quality of shipments is increasing, or my tank happens to be fantastic for them. Not sure which. Maybe all of the above.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome fish, good luck. It's 'choati' though, not chaoti .....

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Male kuiters did not make it. Died without warning. The other two male Bipartus leopards are thriving in same tank. :shrug:

Very sad..

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome fish, good luck. It's 'choati' though, not chaoti .....
Yeah my phone has been correcting it the wrong way. I think it's because I spelled it wrong in the past or something

jofost1216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses are awesome!!! got a trio of jury m. meleagris. They are so cool hang in the front middle of the tank all day long while lights are on. Next will be a lyre tail or a diamond tail. People talk about having awful success rates with leopards and other wrasses but i have never experienced any issues myself. 100% successful.

Gasdoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Male kuiters did not make it. Died without warning. The other two male Bipartus leopards are thriving in same tank. :shrug:

Very sad..
Too bad, did he ever eat anything? Does Live Aquaria still credit you for leopards? Many online sellers don't now and I don't blame them. I'm really cheering for your Choati,let us know when he resurfaces. My friend bought one from the same batch at Quality marine .He emerged from the sand at 9pm and cruised till 3:00 am .Wouldn't eat anything. He got a tiny one,I warned him but he wouldn't listen. If one of you guys is successful, I'll try again.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad, did he ever eat anything? Does Live Aquaria still credit you for leopards? Many online sellers don't now and I don't blame them. I'm really cheering for your Choati,let us know when he resurfaces. My friend bought one from the same batch at Quality marine .He emerged from the sand at 9pm and cruised till 3:00 am .Wouldn't eat anything. He got a tiny one,I warned him but he wouldn't listen. If one of you guys is successful, I'll try again.

That's the thing, he ate my frozen mix and black worms. Very odd.

I have not seen the Choati yet I will keep you all posted.

La credits all losses.

Confuse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Very sad..

That sucks man. How long did you acclimate it for? How was it looking when you opened the bag?

It's a good thing you ordered from LA. They'll give you your money back without question.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks man. How long did you acclimate it for? How was it looking when you opened the bag?

It's a good thing you ordered from LA. They'll give you your money back without question.

Acclimated for about 30 minutes. I don't acclimate longer, when you open those bags the ammonia becomes toxic. It's important to acclimate but also important that it doesn't sit in ammonia. I see people talk about Seceral hour drip acclimation and I feel for the ammonia burn on those poor fish.

He didn't look that great in the bag but they never do, he was alive. I was very optimistic after he ate the first day and acted great.

It's just par for the course for leopard wrasses unfortunately

Gasdoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my friends 2 little ones he just got from Quality marine.Both small ,but they are out and eating Frozen cyclops.He said he ordered 2 expecting just one to make it after 24 hours.We are keeping our fingers crossed.It's late and his aquarium lights are off,but he is frequently feeding them because they are so small.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back