new leopard wrasse breathing heavy on sand bed

jguerin88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leopard wrasse was shipped over night it’s been on the sand bed breathing heavy , i turned my tank lights off. any suggestions ?

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no. Is it in a QT tank? If so, has it been eating anything?

I've got a thread on here with what I've been doing. I've got 2 in QT right now.. Its got a bunch of info that I collected:

They are notoriously bad shippers and sometimes there is little we can do.. Where did you purchase from?

OP
OP
jguerin88

jguerin88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had her in the tank for about 4 hrs now and hasn’t moved just chillen in the sand bed breathing heavy , lights out not moving around

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no but the guy i got it from in ny had it qt’d

Oh ok. Yeah, they are very easily stressed. They'll sometimes lay on the sandbed and recover the next day. Sometimes bury for weeks and be fine when they come out. Once they are comfortable, they are very hardy.

Did the person mention how long they had her? And if she had been eating any particular type of food? Or if she has undergone any kind of meds? Are there any fish that appear to be bullying her?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. Its just hard to dx without the info.

OP
OP
jguerin88

jguerin88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks , no meds , no issues , no bullies , i work from home so i’ve been watching her not even a hermit has gone near her

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, got distracted with work for a sec.

Hmm, well I'd recommend keeping the wrasse as stress free as possible. Keep the lights down and avoid the temptation to put your hands in the tank. If she burries herself, don't try looking for her for up to a week. They can stay in the sand for quite a while when stressed.

Check her body for any injuries. Sometimes they get injured when shipping. I heard someone once mention that they can injure themselves trying to dive into the shipping bags.

Once she is out. Try enticing her with whatever food she is used to. If the original owner had her on something. Otherwise, I'd start with either live brine or blackworms. Perhaps frozen fish eggs (what's been working for me).

Keep an eye on the other fish and hermits and make sure nobody is causing her stress.

OP
OP
jguerin88

jguerin88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, got distracted with work for a sec.

Hmm, well I'd recommend keeping the wrasse as stress free as possible. Keep the lights down and avoid the temptation to put your hands in the tank. If she burries herself, don't try looking for her for up to a week. They can stay in the sand for quite a while when stressed.

Check her body for any injuries. Sometimes they get injured when shipping. I heard someone once mention that they can injure themselves trying to dive into the shipping bags.

Once she is out. Try enticing her with whatever food she is used to. If the original owner had her on something. Otherwise, I'd start with either live brine or blackworms. Perhaps frozen fish eggs (what's been working for me).

Keep an eye on the other fish and hermits and make sure nobody is causing her stress.
yup got it and i grow my own brine for the other wrasses

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back