New LFS/Coral store in Wappingers/Hopewell area

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stumbled across a very promising new store today. Aquarium Solutions 1o1. Nice selection of fish and corals. Emiliano, the owner, seems very knowledgeable and helpful. He came from House of Fins and another nice shop that was/is in Bedford that I can't remember the name of at the moment. Definitely worth a visit. I wish him the best of luck.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He came from House of Fins and another nice shop that was/is in Bedford that I can't remember the name of at the moment.
I’m guessing that he was at Complete Aquarium in Bedford Hills...
how is his pricing? H of F and Complete are probably the 2 highest priced stores in the US!

mets17127

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience there, you need to know what the livestock is worth before you ask him the price. Went 3 consecutive days and got 3 different prices on the same piece. Some prices are high, some are low. Be an informed customer and haggle.
Seems more knowledgeable on fish than coral, so consults his invoice when you ask for a price. Sometimes, he may not know what the coral is and give you the price for another coral.
Overall, nice to have options in the area again.

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or it could have been Gil’s in mamoroneck.
I’ve gotten a few fish in the past from complete aquarium which were very healthy and eating.
Hopefully I get some work towards this new store so I can check it out.

OP
OP
rhdoug

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing that he was at Complete Aquarium in Bedford Hills...
how is his pricing? H of F and Complete are probably the 2 highest priced stores in the US!
It was Complete Aquarium, thanks for getting that name for me. Agree on both stores' pricing -- Crazy! Oddly enough, my tank came from HOF 20 years ago. Got it through a fund-raiser we attended in CT. I would never have dealt with them otherwise, they are WAY out of my price range! They did set up the tank and got my foundation for the reef from them. Still have all the rock and some of the original mushrooms that came with it.

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Randy. That’s quite a run you got going there.

I still have 4 tanks up, but they have seen better days. My chess team came in 1st place at Nationals in May, but it came at a price as I neglected my main tank over the winter. I lost a lot of big colonies. Most of the corals that survived I got from Chris. They withstood the fluctuations.

I have a huge aiptasia problem that came in on a zoanthid frag. I’m looking to buy some berghia to see if they can clean the tank out.

It may take a while to clean out the aiptasia. I’m trying to decide if I want to regrow SPS or switch to LPS and softies this winter.

I have a terrific PBT that I bought years ago from a guy in Stormville. I was always more interested in the corals but lately my attention has been on the fish.

OP
OP
rhdoug

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the chess team!! And sorry for the tank woes. I've been battling a pretty bad briopsis breakout that must have came in on something. I couldn't keep up with it and it was becoming a real problem so I reluctantly tried "Reef Flux". Other than losing one snail it didn't seem to bother anything. The lps were not fully extended for a bit which worried me, but the algae seems to be gone and everything seems happy so at this point it looks like a win.

I have always had luck with pepperming shrimp controlling aiptasia, although I know others have not. Good luck with the berghia.

You know my feelings on SPS -- I just can't keep them!! I have some hammer frags and maybe some other stuff if you decide to go the "easy" route. I did lose most of the orange monti that you gave me -- it grew to nearly hand - size, but then the briopsis started growing on it and killed it (it could have been the large gorgonian that got engulfed by the monti) before I treated the tank. There are a couple of orange spots of tissue that are growing on the old skeleton so maybe it will come back. I picked up a raspberry-ish colored one a few months before Absolute Corals closed and it has gotten pretty big and colored up nicely.

I had a PBT for a few months which only seemed happy in my little 10g quarantine tank. Every time I put him in the display he would "ich out" so I would catch him and put him back in the little tank. He was very calm in there and would eat out of my hand. In the display he was a nervous wreck.

OP
OP
rhdoug

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1310.JPEG

This is from earlier this year, right before I fragged the hammer coral.

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank always looks great.
I’m picking up some new soft corals this week for my 20 gallon tank and I just set up a 10 gallon tank for the Berghia.
Advanced Aquarist had a great article on how to breed them. They lay a tremendous amount of eggs, but they are a delicacy for amphipods. I don’t think I can keep the amphipods out of the tank. We’ll see if I have any luck or success. It’s nice to know there’s still something new to try in this hobby.
I have a lot of aiptasia so hopefully I can keep the Berghia for awhile.
I have a new list of SPS, but it will be a long while before I start that up again. I need to get back on a maintenance schedule for my display tank. For now I will be experimenting with the Berghia and searching for more treasures for the softy nano tank.
I’m glad to see that you are still enjoying the hobby. There have been so many hobbyists that came and went since I started my first tank in 2004.
I miss the club website. It felt like home.

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my Burghia experiment. I have them in a 10 gallon with a bubble stone and a heater. They eat the aiptasia I put in the tank, but they are pretty slow doing so. They are nocturnal so I don’t get to see them in action very often. I see them hiding under snail shells and frag plugs when the lights are on. Sometimes I catch one on the move just before my controller turns off the lights. You can tell when they are hungry because they turn white. After they eat the “fins” on their back turn brown. They are interesting to watch.

4067FA3D-C6AF-4AA1-9A76-E5447DD82B71.jpeg

OP
OP
rhdoug

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tank compliment! The Berghia look really interesting, I hope they can solve your problem. I would like to add them to my tank just to watch if they could survive on a normal diet. I've got a nice Grube's gorgonian you are welcome to put a frag of in your softy tank if you are interested. I got it from ORA a couple of years ago and it needs a haircut.

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Doug. I can frag you a piece of an ORA Purple Stylo that is real hardy if you don’t have it. I broke off a piece, then lost it during a water change, but this thing is a grower. I also have another piece I just fragged. I’m drawing a blank right now but it’s an LE. (Jason Fox - maybe a psamicoris?) Very hardy, looks like a monti, but it’s something else. Bright green, velvet texture.

C00CF9A1-D433-4DC0-8D16-2B3357548615.jpeg 92B36866-2350-426F-9ACD-E26C32961717.jpeg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I stopped by a few weeks ago. Very nice selection of healthy fish and some coral, though way more on the fish end. Mainly just happy to have a new SW store withing 5 miles. Hoping more will follow.

TTTony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped in yesterday, very impressed,Very high-quality selection of fish but lightly stocked , some of the tanks were empty, The owner explained they just had a sale and sold a lot of fish , coral selection I have not seen in years that high-quality fantastic show pieces lps, in a few years ,

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 65 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back