New Live Rock From KP Aquatics

Joshua2598

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I’ve decided to buy some live rock for my tank. I’ve been able to identify a solid 70% of the things I’ve seen but I still need help with a lot of the stuff. I’ll add more to this thread as I find more stuff but I found something pretty interesting so I decided to make a thread about it and any other things I found. I recorded what I think is a baby anemone or maybe even a wacky hydroid.

Attaching the link just here to the post and I hope that works. Also a picture of it
becd7c90dcbe03af00fcbff6723bf954.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, I think it's far more likely a hydroid than an anemone. I snorkel the Keys a lot (which is where KP Aquatics keeps their live rock farm) and it looks a tiny bit like a curly-Q anemone which are abundant in the Keys. But the clear trunk with the tube running foot to tentacles makes me think hydroid.

BTW, I've bought from KP Aquatics before. And in June, when our local aquarium club is doing a snorkeling/collecting trip to the Keys, we are arranging to stop in and see their facilities. They are a fairly small operation, but I love all the local Caribbean livestock they offer.

OP
OP
Joshua2598

Joshua2598

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, I think it's far more likely a hydroid than an anemone. I snorkel the Keys a lot (which is where KP Aquatics keeps their live rock farm) and it looks a tiny bit like a curly-Q anemone which are abundant in the Keys. But the clear trunk with the tube running foot to tentacles makes me think hydroid.

BTW, I've bought from KP Aquatics before. And in June, when our local aquarium club is doing a snorkeling/collecting trip to the Keys, we are arranging to stop in and see their facilities. They are a fairly small operation, but I love all the local Caribbean livestock they offer.

Thanks for the insight. I agree about the hydroid thing. btw it’s about 3 maybe 4 millimeters long. It just gave me really strong anemone vibes

OP
OP
Joshua2598

Joshua2598

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be new stuff showing up for a long time. I'm jealous ! Does this seem lite & porous? I found TBS to be kinda dense /heavy.......kinda.
@Ron Reefman do like the KP rock compared to tbs?

This is definitely not that heavy of a rock. Tons of holes and stuff

OP
OP
Joshua2598

Joshua2598

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thing cycled VERY VERY fast too. Shipped from east to west coast overnight

OP
OP
Joshua2598

Joshua2598

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0946.JPG

Just discovered this colorful “fan” that kinda looks like a feather duster but also not. Reminds me of those Christmas Tree worms (I think their called) or a barnacle

High ICP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea squirt

I would just let the tank run for a few months before adding any corals

It has not cycled

Maybe a couple light blue damsels. And a small CUC.

OP
OP
Joshua2598

Joshua2598

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea squirt

I would just let the tank run for a few months before adding any corals

It has not cycled

Maybe a couple light blue damsels. And a small CUC.

I’ve more or less already got everything planned out. I’ve had this for maybe 2 weeks now and when I say cycled I mean the ammonia has read zero. This is 10 pounds of rock in a busted up 5 gallon rn and will soon go to the main display (old fluval 13.5 which I’ve more or less torn down)

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be new stuff showing up for a long time. I'm jealous ! Does this seem lite & porous? I found TBS to be kinda dense /heavy.......kinda.
@Ron Reefman do like the KP rock compared to tbs?

I've bought TBS rock in the past but never KP Aquatics rock (I'll check it out in person in June). I didn't like all the algae that came with the TBS rock and it had far more die off (especially sponges) than I expected. I'd was using it in a 65g shallow reef (4'x2'x14") that was mostly for local stuff I pick up at the beach or snorkeling in the Keys (legally with a license). But I wasn't crazy about it and would never consider it for a tank that was meant to be mostly coral.

Going to use this as more or less a place to store pictures of things I took lol

My best guesses at what your photos are:

Post #4: eggs? Maybe but I doubt it. Some simple organism that probably won't survive long, more likely. But I really don't know.

Post #9: A better photo would help. My first thought was a feather duster as well, there are lots of red and white ones in the Keys. I've never seen a barnacle with colored tentacles/fan sweepers, but it's not impossible. Maybe try for a better photo?

Post #11: Isopod

Post #12: Most likely a sponge, but it could possibly be a tunicate. Again, better photo might help.

Post #13: Bristle worm.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back