New live rock lots of hitch hikers

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what I am looking for! The stuff people don't want.
Do these guys ship overnight?
express and oh yea, they ship everywhere.
PS
dont put them in with fish you like.

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what I am looking for! The stuff people don't want.
Do these guys ship overnight?
Why so? And yes they ship overnight over airline, you can call the airlines they use and ask for a estimate they offer free shipping as well but its typically 2 to 3 days.

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does gulf ship their rocks in bags of water at all - enough to cover rock? I know its weighted extra to do so- but yeah man you lost alot of inverts.
Have fun exploring-even 3 months later I started finding things crawling out in middle of night I didn't know I had. Now once in awhile on my midnite bathroom runs I purposely turn on a flashlight to see what else I can spot!
I had one hue-oooooooge bristle worm-stores should make life size versions of these for your Yard at Halloween-they are creepy
They do upon request, but its too late for that now haha. Yeah the inverts are a loss but I'm still very happy with the rock. A lot of people dont like aqua cultured rock from the Ocean from what ive seen due to bad hitchhikers but personally I like it and the idea of it. The rock isn't going in some valuable tank that ive had set up for awhile, so I dont mind.

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I wish I had gone the live rock route, there are so many interesting things that come with it.

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what this red tumor looking thing can be?

IMG_20161221_091726.jpg

I have that exact same thing on my live rock (bought from the LFS, but has a lot of identical things). If you touch it, it will retract a bit. I have no issues with mine, and it was actually out of water for at least an hour because the bag broke when bringing it home. It was damp, just not submersed. It's been 3 months and it's doing well. My problem (and likely yours) is that I have 2 glass anemone right near it. I've started killing them with kalk, but they've just reemerged. I'd like to try the boiling water method if kalk doesn't work, but it's seriously right next to the sponge.

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that exact same thing on my live rock (bought from the LFS, but has a lot of identical things). If you touch it, it will retract a bit. I have no issues with mine, and it was actually out of water for at least an hour because the bag broke when bringing it home. It was damp, just not submersed. It's been 3 months and it's doing well. My problem (and likely yours) is that I have 2 glass anemone right near it. I've started killing them with kalk, but they've just reemerged. I'd like to try the boiling water method if kalk doesn't work, but it's seriously right next to the sponge.
That's very interesting because I have what appears to be 3 aptasia on that very same rock but very small. You think it has some correlation?

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very interesting because I have what appears to be 3 aptasia on that very same rock but very small. You think it has some correlation?

If any correlation, just shared water parameters. But I was mainly pointing them out as a warning, as I see you haven't found them yet. They're apparently easier to kill when small. I've only found the 2, have hit them once with kalk, they just reemerged, I'll likely hit them tomorrow.

In all honesty, it's like we bought the same rock. I'm terrible about pictures, but I'll try and upload some (probably in the next week, I'm delaying wrapping presents for my kids by posting here).

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a clam I can't believe I missed this haha

Just saw you found a clam, and just found this on my google drive. Here's my rock, not all of it, but most of it. You can see everything we have in common. But I have 2 mussels (clams?). You can also see my glass anemone right next to my sponge. I was trying to take a video of the mussel closing, and I heard it close, which is why the camera jerks back to it shut at the end.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gAnmSZHZI9yUa7jV8bT452DN1s1dHnPlkg''

EDIT: I'm watching it now, and I'll post what I know. At the start you see my snail cleaning my mussel. Under the mussel is a dead clam shell. To the left is the red sponge. To the right back (out of focus and green) is some dope macro that got knocked off during a cleaning. On the mussel is some red macro, which now has a sponge growing on it. To the middle right (pointing at the still white rock) is the other mussel.

As the camera moves and shows the wavemaker, you see my Clownfish. If anyone wants to ID the sub type, I'm all ears. He's very young, I'd peg him at 6-9 months. He's supposed to be a Picasso, but he's too white if you ask me.

As the camera really turns (about 22 seconds in) you can see my other sponge. He's doing great. The white tube was a feather duster, which was killed by the wave maker. NOTE: I got rid of that thermometer months ago, it was there for cycling. At the tip of the thermometer is the other clam.

As the camera goes left around the corner, you can clearly see one of the glass anemone. You can also see some of the other macro algae.

Finally, the clam closed, and you can see me jerk my phone back to center. I missed it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw you found a clam, and just found this on my google drive. Here's my rock, not all of it, but most of it. You can see everything we have in common. But I have 2 mussels (clams?). You can also see my glass anemone right next to my sponge. I was trying to take a video of the mussel closing, and I heard it close, which is why the camera jerks back to it shut at the end.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gAnmSZHZI9yUa7jV8bT452DN1s1dHnPlkg''

EDIT: I'm watching it now, and I'll post what I know. At the start you see my snail cleaning my mussel. Under the mussel is a dead clam shell. To the left is the red sponge. To the right back (out of focus and green) is some dope macro that got knocked off during a cleaning. On the mussel is some red macro, which now has a sponge growing on it. To the middle right (pointing at the still white rock) is the other mussel.

As the camera moves and shows the wavemaker, you see my Clownfish. If anyone wants to ID the sub type, I'm all ears. He's very young, I'd peg him at 6-9 months. He's supposed to be a Picasso, but he's too white if you ask me.

As the camera really turns (about 22 seconds in) you can see my other sponge. He's doing great. The white tube was a feather duster, which was killed by the wave maker. NOTE: I got rid of that thermometer months ago, it was there for cycling. At the tip of the thermometer is the other clam.

As the camera goes left around the corner, you can clearly see one of the glass anemone. You can also see some of the other macro algae.

Finally, the clam closed, and you can see me jerk my phone back to center. I missed it.
Yeah that is very similar literally identical. The glass anemone is very close to it and quite big. Ive been reading people have had luck with buying peppermint shrimp to eat them.

Pole04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's that Eunice / Bobbit Worm in your first pic. This is why you don't just throw this rock in a tank you like. Not all of these hitchhikers are good.

Ok now I really am going to have nightmares about these things. That poor fish!

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an arc shell. Does it look like it has two shells encrusted with reef stuff?
It appears to be a solid piece. I havent touched it but when I poke at it the mass has some give to it and appears to be fleshy. I took more pics, maybe you can get a better look. You can also see the aptasia I was talking about.

IMG_20161222_084315.jpg

bump3rb33tl3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got some LR from Marshall Island that my LFS carries. Has alot of the same critters yours does. I believe your little red rose bud is a sea squirt. You may have what looks like a lobo coral as well. This LR is great because of all the beneficial bacteria, algaes, macro brittle stars, pods, cucumbers, and sponges it already has. Unfortunately there are undesirable hitch hikers so its a good thing you are trying to rid them before putting into your DT. My LR even had some gorg's :) What I love most is that most LR you buy in a LFS is void of alot of those essentials, this stuff is already teaming with life!

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears to be a solid piece. I havent touched it but when I poke at it the mass has some give to it and appears to be fleshy. I took more pics, maybe you can get a better look. You can also see the aptasia I was talking about.

IMG_20161222_084315.jpg
Yep. It moves a little because it is held on with byssal threads. Also know as zebra turkey wing (Arca zebra scientific name)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back