New live rock lots of hitch hikers

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. It moves a little because it is held on with byssal threads. Also know as zebra turkey wing (Arca zebra scientific name)

I feel like there's some confusion in this thread, caused by my post. I posted the video of the (now I know it to be) Acra Zebra (aka turkey wing ark clam). The OP was talking about the movement of, again, what I believe to be a red sea squirt. The video I provided shows mine, which looks identical to what's called a red sea squirt on google. In any event, I think I've identified my clam as Acra Zebra because, and I don't think you can see this on the video I posted, the zebra pattern on the shell. I was searching Zebra Mussel all day long because NY waterways have a huge issue with zebra mussels. Add to that it looks like a PEI mussel, I called it a mussel.

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like there's some confusion in this thread, caused by my post. I posted the video of the (now I know it to be) Acra Zebra (aka turkey wing ark clam). The OP was talking about the movement of, again, what I believe to be a red sea squirt. The video I provided shows mine, which looks identical to what's called a red sea squirt on google. In any event, I think I've identified my clam as Acra Zebra because, and I don't think you can see this on the video I posted, the zebra pattern on the shell. I was searching Zebra Mussel all day long because NY waterways have a huge issue with zebra mussels. Add to that it looks like a PEI mussel, I called it a mussel.
Wanted to get back to you regarding your aptasia and the sea squirt problem. I bought a peppermint shrimp and the same night I acclimated he was up and about cleaning. I woke up and found a glass anemone gone. Maybe I got lucky. Here are some pics.

IMG_20161221_223849.jpg

IMG_20161222_085204.jpg

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got some LR from Marshall Island that my LFS carries. Has alot of the same critters yours does. I believe your little red rose bud is a sea squirt. You may have what looks like a lobo coral as well. This LR is great because of all the beneficial bacteria, algaes, macro brittle stars, pods, cucumbers, and sponges it already has. Unfortunately there are undesirable hitch hikers so its a good thing you are trying to rid them before putting into your DT. My LR even had some gorg's :) What I love most is that most LR you buy in a LFS is void of alot of those essentials, this stuff is already teaming with life!
Yeah thats how I feel about it as well. My lfs has really basic live Rock with Coraline algae and dry rock not much variety. Not to mention its very overpriced about 8 dollars a pound, so for 6 dollars a pound I get this stuff with a lot more potential for extras (including bad hitchhikers). Like I said its kind of being quarantined in a 20 gallon just dealing with what I can find til I decide to have it put in my actual tank. Im not in any hurry and most importantly I have the rock to keep me entertained till then.

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a little update on the lobo coral and how its been doing since I added the rock to the tank. At first it appeared to have been scuffed up during transport and a lot of the fleshy out skirt part of the coral appeared to be ripped off exposing the skeleton. Its starting to look significantly better. Ony problem is that theres been an aptasia hidden in one of the holes of the rock that went unnoticed, and seems to have gotten comfortable now causing it to emerge out. I Will be using aptasia x in matter of hours once the mail man brings it. Hope to rid the little *******. Way to close to the coral.

IMG_20161227_134330.jpg

IMG_20161221_132739.jpg

Mhoncho69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this live rock had to buy the feather duster was attached to it got these weird white worm things that weren't there before wondered did they just die coming out the rock or still alive should I do something

14829787287441657545750.jpg

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this live rock had to buy the feather duster was attached to it got these weird white worm things that weren't there before wondered did they just die coming out the rock or still alive should I do something

14829787287441657545750.jpg
Did they pop out when you added the rock? Or it something happening after the rock has been established?

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im now at the point with my rock where algae is starting to grow and I need help with an id. Ammonia and nitrites have reached a low and algae is appearing. Ive tried doing research, but im on the fence with this being either bryopsis or calauerpa verticalla, both are terrible from what Ive seen and just from watching it grow exponentially I need to rid of it immediately. Id appreciate some input it all looks the same to me. These are the best pictures I can take.
IMG_20161228_215657.jpg
IMG_20161228_215653.jpg
IMG_20161228_215646.jpg
IMG_20161227_223215.jpg
IMG_20161227_223136.jpg

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal with some tweezers, then drip H2O2 over the effected area and let stand for 5 minutes. You can also rasp the rock for guaranteed removal.

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any id on these? They literally popped up when I got back from work. Never have seen them before. Wondering if its anything I should be worried about.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back