New live rock lots of hitch hikers

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A type of snail. The volcano shaped shell leads me to think it is a limpet. Although the skirt does look like a chiton.

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be a limpet and a cucumber. None are bad. I think
Appreciate the responses after looking into the suggestions I'd say you're right. I removed the limpet because it was tearing apart my tunicate. Considering most people dont have them and say they'll die shortly after time ive decided to try to keep mine haha for as long as possible considering this thing managed to survive shipping, id say its pretty hardy.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the responses after looking into the suggestions I'd say you're right. I removed the limpet because it was tearing apart my tunicate. Considering most people dont have them and say they'll die shortly after time ive decided to try to keep mine haha for as long as possible considering this thing managed to survive shipping, id say its pretty hardy.

Chiton's are have segmented plates. So yeah.

A friend of mine has had the same limpet to almost 3 years.

cobraz

Zoo Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw out the limpet - the Pacific are grazers ... but the ones from Florida eat SPS - I know first hand - got rock from FL as I live here.
These Limpets chow on Birdsnest and Acros - watched them do it - so now all Limpets hit the highway to hell..IMO.

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw out the limpet - the Pacific are grazers ... but the ones from Florida eat SPS - I know first hand - got rock from FL as I live here.
These Limpets chow on Birdsnest and Acros - watched them do it - so now all Limpets hit the highway to hell..IMO.
I was looking into them
and everyone says their either reef safe or that theyre not. Then I found another person who says they'd kill there tunicate, thats literally what it was doing, it was ripping the flesh off the sea squirt. I just decided to take it off. The rock is from florida by the way.

twin77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 2nd that on the Chiton but the other one I guessing could be a cucumber of some type of nudi? Not an expert [emoji4]

bump3rb33tl3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chiton and sea cucumber? I'm not an expert just guessing.
I have the same cucumber hitch hiker from the LR I got from my lfs. I wonder if they are from the same vender? So many similarities....

bump3rb33tl3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get your Rock? Also what pests did you end up with?
I got mine from a local LFS who imports from a farm on Marshall Island (I believe thats the name....).

I had welso, sea squirts, cucumbers, sprinella, a small little orange star fish, copepods, sponges, mermaid tail, snails, and a couple other types of fauna.

1483128146744.jpeg

1483128286359.jpeg

1483128331926.jpeg

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from a local LFS who imports from a farm on Marshall Island (I believe thats the name....).

I had welso, sea squirts, cucumbers, sprinella, a small little orange star fish, copepods, sponges, mermaid tail, snails, and a couple other types of fauna.

1483128146744.jpeg

1483128286359.jpeg

1483128331926.jpeg
Wow those corals do like identical. I recently found another on a different rock not sure if its the same kind, but it's pretty ruffed up, more than the other one. It had a very small amount of zooxanthellae but has been becoming more and more noticeable. Heres it is under just an actinic light.

IMG_20161229_083530.jpg

bump3rb33tl3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow those corals do like identical. I recently found another on a different rock not sure if its the same kind, but it's pretty ruffed up, more than the other one. It had a very small amount of zooxanthellae but has been becoming more and more noticeable. Heres it is under just an actinic light.

IMG_20161229_083530.jpg
Looks like a baby weslo! I have one too :) These rocks really are pretty amazing imo. You get so much variety and growth!

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back