New live rock ok?

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do i tell if my live rock that i just added to my new tank is alive and well. No experience at all and i’m sure there are good signs and bad signs, i have no evidence that anything is wrong, just the noob willies,thanks

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a thread just for that :)

Visual only verification of live rock. We can discern bacterial loading by what's on the rock as upper level animals, interestingly. Certain animals, if included, always appear after a cycle is done and never before (discerning bacteria without having to see them)

We can tell if your rock is cycled, depending on certain details if present in pics

We can get an idea of the nutrient history of the water the rock came from before you off pics

So many pages of pics and live rock biology:

Whatever you're about to post, I bet there's a comparable example in that live rock thread

OP
OP
White Hair

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do i tell if my live rock that i just added to my new tank is alive and well. No experience at all and i’m sure there are good signs and bad signs, i have no evidence that anything is wrong, just the noob willies,thanks
B2EF2EBD-F0A7-4699-B70A-5D0D2934F8FA.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it's on first page under extremely high quality live rock containing a free siderastrea radians :)

Your rock is cycled, 100% full of bac. Among the best starting live rock I've ever seen, so your thread is on page one now as an example link. This is old school live rock

Your reef has zero free ammonia.

You are unlikely to ever get dinos.

The rock has likely been wet over a hundred years, per attached coral only found on real or from the ocean and never ever ever tank made or aquacultured live rock.

Decades at minimum for that coral to accrete into the side of the rock...

Your rock is cured of excess plant material already. Your clownfish would be panting and swimming sideways if you had any free ammonia, that live rock is rare, where did you get it, never sell it soon it will be unattainable. You have benthic animals so diverse and already cured down I must predict that came from some pros aquarium who acquired it maybe in the nineties how in the heck did you

Last edited:
OP
OP
White Hair

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it's on first page under extremely high quality live rock containing a free siderastrea radians :)

Your rock is cycled, 100% full of bac. Among the best starting live rock I've ever seen, so your thread is on page one now as an example link. This is old school live rock

The rock has likely been wet over a hundred years, per attached coral only found on real or from the ocean and never ever ever tank made or aquacultured

Decades for that coral to accrete into the side of the rock at minimum.

Your rock is cured of excess plant material already. Your clownfish would be panting and swimming sideways if you had any free ammonia, that live rock is rare, where did you get it, never sell it soon it will be unattainable. You have benthic animals so diverse and already cured down I must predict that came from some pros aquarium who acquired it maybe in the nineties how in the heck did you
how

OP
OP
White Hair

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The rock has likely been wet over a hundred years, per attached coral only found on real or from the ocean and never ever ever tank made or aquacultured

Decades for that coral to accrete into the side of the rock at minimum.

purchased from Gulf Live Rock in Florida

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I didn't know they were churning out lr so well cured, that lot is particularly ready for use. One other insiders trick to caring for it:

That is rock able to be handled. It can be in the air a while if needed, though creativeness like misting with a water bottle set with saltwater keeps it wet even outside the tank.

If algae, cyano or other common new tank challengers show up (variables like your own lighting and feed habit bring out new growths in the rocks eventually) it's not the best approach to alter your water with a doser or a test and response - simply lift out and set on your counter, take a knife and spear tip anything off like precision dentistry. Let the water stay clean, changed, well fed but simply guide the rock like an external garden. Headache free another hundred

Occasionally clean your sandbed so waste contained isn't leaking up, shifting your rocks back to heavy plant loading. If you simply keep your tank manually clean of detritus occasionally that rock runs your tank forever and never needs recharging of any type. It will self regulate forever but you must man graze bad growths off it exactly like an outside garden requires hands on, you can't just roundup everything etc.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey can we get pics and update

I’m using your thread as a works example again, curious to see pics which details how the hand guiding has been going

html

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do not have huge spike of ammonia than it is definitely alive other wise you get everything dying

Back