Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve definitely decided I’m going with some sort of live rock for my 29 gallon reef tank I’m planning. I was pretty dead set on TBS live rock but now I’ve heard some really good stuff about “Live Rock’n Reef” “KP Aquatics” and “Gulf Live rock”. I’m open to any opinions/stories/recommendations on all 3 plus TBS. I’m on a budget somewhat so also include what y’all thought of it for the price as well. Just want the best bang for my buck if you know what I mean :) Thank you guys!!

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding was that there were only 3 aquaculture rock leases in florida, and KP, TBS, and GLR owned them. So I have no idea what the deal is with LRNR, but I'd assume they're getting their rock from TBS or GLR, as their web site says they're in Tampa.

Anyways - major difference is that TBS and GLR are in Tampa, and KP is in the keys.

So GLR and TBS are going to have similar animals on their rock, and KPA isn't.

TBS is shut down right now, and KPA is behind because of weather.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding was that there were only 3 aquaculture rock leases in florida, and KP, TBS, and GLR owned them. So I have no idea what the deal is with LRNR, but I'd assume they're getting their rock from TBS or GLR, as their web site says they're in Tampa.

Anyways - major difference is that TBS and GLR are in Tampa, and KP is in the keys.

So GLR and TBS are going to have similar animals on their rock, and KPA isn't.

TBS is shut down right now, and KPA is behind because of weather.
Any negatives or positives to the creatures between the two or just slightly different because of location?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve definitely decided I’m going with some sort of live rock for my 29 gallon reef tank I’m planning. I was pretty dead set on TBS live rock but now I’ve heard some really good stuff about “Live Rock’n Reef” “KP Aquatics” and “Gulf Live rock”. I’m open to any opinions/stories/recommendations on all 3 plus TBS. I’m on a budget somewhat so also include what y’all thought of it for the price as well. Just want the best bang for my buck if you know what I mean :) Thank you guys!!
$85 for 17 lbs shipped ups 3 day, gulfliverock.com.
Very happy, even with some die off.
Sponges, limpets, snails, gracillaria, clams, worms, coralline, halemedia.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m shooting for 45 lbs and was expecting to pay upwards of $365 so I could get 3 of those. Those things you listed all survived and thrived? And how much was shipping?

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Addictive Reef Keeping has live rock too. It sounds like they have their own lease site, but I'm not sure. Both times I've picked up live rock recently has been from KP Aquatics and it's nice stuff. Had it shipped in water to the airport and had lots of critters survive the trip. Multiple brittle stars, red mithrax crabs and snapping shrimp, as well as sponges, tunicates, limpets, chiton, worms, macro algae, a large feather duster, etc. It's also primarily covered in reddish coralline which is interesting and looks nice. I got 30lbs and shipping was about $70 if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some halemedia, and a ton of coraline and sponges, but nothing else alive on the 35lbs I ordered.

Scratch that - one fist sized chunk of some sort of tan carribean coral that I think is sideastrea

The keys are more reefy than tampa is - so I think KP is the best - but they're all way better than anything you get at the lfs

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some halemedia, and a ton of coraline and sponges, but nothing else alive on the 35lbs I ordered.

The keys are more reefy than tampa is - so I think KP is the best - but they're all way better than anything you get at the lfs
Would you ever get damp live rock again or is it worth the money to go submerged plus the wait (with the leased sites being so backlogged)

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you ever get damp live rock again or is it worth the money to go submerged plus the wait (with the leased sites being so backlogged)

When I actually looked it up, it was going to be about $60-80 to airship it - and I should have done that. It just never really crossed my mind because I bought one of the 'shipping included' boxes.

In the spring were probably going to set up a big tank - so I'll probably order like 100lbs from kp via air

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 30 lbs of kpaquatics shipped in damp paper overnight about a month ago. Very happy with it. Nice fan worms, large and small, different tunicates and sponges, few cerith snails, few large black brittle stars, bristle worms, and a small urchin plus the obvious coraline and some macro have all survived. Found 1 dead mysis in the bag so I'm assuming theres others I havnt seen yet inside the rock and had 4 pest crabs that were hanging off the rock on the paper so easily removed. Havnt seen anything else of concern yet.

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the rock was various sizes and easy to scape with. Very porous and lots of holes and interesting shapes. First picture is just the 30 lbs thrown on a qt tank. 2nd od the full 30 lbs added to 50 lbs of base dry rock in DT.
20201107_163935.jpg
20201205_125408.jpg

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up 70lbs rock and 50lbs sand from Gulf Live Rock yesterday to go with the 20lbs rock I had shipped from KP. 25 more lbs sand coming this week as GLR only had 50 in stock. Couple of gorilla crabs, one brittle star that I have seen so far. I am sure there will be more surprises. Lots of macro algae/plant life. Both KP and GLR have good stuff from what I can tell, but I am very new to the hobby.
IMG_3406.JPG

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had KP Aquatics and Gulf and KP > Gulf

Gulf is just too dang dense. You can check out the photos people posted above to see what I am talking about.

Gulf has more life forms like sponges/algae and hitchhiker corals but I rather have good porous shapes. Both have the needed bacteria and coralline.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up 70lbs rock and 50lbs sand from Gulf Live Rock yesterday to go with the 20lbs rock I had shipped from KP. 25 more lbs sand coming this week as GLR only had 50 in stock. Couple of gorilla crabs, one brittle star that I have seen so far. I am sure there will be more surprises. Lots of macro algae/plant life. Both KP and GLR have good stuff from what I can tell, but I am very new to the hobby.
IMG_3406.JPG

I have had KP Aquatics and Gulf and KP > Gulf

Gulf is just too dang dense. You can check out the photos people posted above to see what I am talking about.

Gulf has more life forms like sponges/algae and hitchhiker corals but I rather have good porous shapes. Both have the bacteria needed.
Awesome pictures and info. Did you guys order submersed, same day, overnight, damp?? Just curious as to how y’all got the best results.

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome pictures and info. Did you guys order submersed, same day, overnight, damp?? Just curious as to how y’all got the best results.
Was able to pick it up day after ordering since I am fairly close. Was wrapped in damp newspaper with a bit of water but not fully submersed. I have KP rock as well. Tamberav is correct, the GLR is much denser, but in my case had way more plant and animal life on it. I'm sure they both have plenty of bacteria.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m shooting for 45 lbs and was expecting to pay upwards of $365 so I could get 3 of those. Those things you listed all survived and thrived? And how much was shipping?
Shipping included in $85.
It is GLR's nano package, so the rocks are smaller, nothing over 10".
Next time I'll airship.
Yes all thriving

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like KP will be best for me as this is my first time and since it is more porous hopefully more bacteria to help me along my journey of mistakes and learning. According to my quick math it’ll be $515 for 45 lbs air shipped (including shipping) or $420 for 40 lbs shipped damp overnight. I live in NC, will it truly be overnight shipping if order damp. Or is it more worth the $95 to airship?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like KP will be best for me as this is my first time and since it is more porous hopefully more bacteria to help me along my journey of mistakes and learning. According to my quick math it’ll be $515 for 45 lbs air shipped (including shipping) or $420 for 40 lbs shipped damp overnight. I live in NC, will it truly be overnight shipping if order damp. Or is it more worth the $95 to airship?
If you're flush, spend the $95.
Either will have sufficient bacteria.
Glr looks cheaper.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back