New, lost, Overwhelmed and Excited.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I am brand new and have not purchased anything yet. A saltwater aquarium is something I have thought about off and on for a VERY long time (decades). I am finally ready to pull the trigger and dive in, after doing plenty of research. I know that eventually I will want a reef setup and I'm looking to start with at least a 75 gallon tank, up to 90 possibly. I know most of you will say start smaller, but I know me and will regret not getting at least a 75 to start. I would like to start with rocks and beginner fish that are cheap and hearty. My number one concern is where do I start after the tank and stand. Do I get a sump setup or go a little more simple? Thoughts, suggestions and general comments are all appreciated. Looking forward to a new addiction! :p

Welcome! Glad you joined. There are so many, too many different possible routes, but I do enjoy having sump and think its easier/simpler than multiple hang on back options route.

Post #2 includes the same reference material I still review - that is a good one

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to the cool kids club. Glad to have you.

Amy Poehler Hello GIF by Team Coco

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I am brand new and have not purchased anything yet. A saltwater aquarium is something I have thought about off and on for a VERY long time (decades). I am finally ready to pull the trigger and dive in, after doing plenty of research. I know that eventually I will want a reef setup and I'm looking to start with at least a 75 gallon tank, up to 90 possibly. I know most of you will say start smaller, but I know me and will regret not getting at least a 75 to start. I would like to start with rocks and beginner fish that are cheap and hearty. My number one concern is where do I start after the tank and stand. Do I get a sump setup or go a little more simple? Thoughts, suggestions and general comments are all appreciated. Looking forward to a new addiction! :p
Hi and welcome to r2r
A 75 is a nice size to start , the exact size I started reefing with . But I was limited as it was not able to be drilled for a sump . So I ran it with hob skimmer and canister filter .
it wasn’t long until I upgraded to a 90
Later a 90 bow front , back to another 90
And now 230 …
We are all here to advise , help , encourage but the best part we will always enable and encourage upgrades to larger systems .

start with what fits your budget and available space and slowly build from that
Start with rocks , decide if you want a sand bed or now , and plan with intentions of what you want the tank to look like in terms of what livestock you plan on eventually keeping .
Purchase good test kits from the start

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back