New Mag Anemone not doing great

hea7her

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and just received a new magnificent anemone yesterday and he isn’t doing too great. I’ll try and attach pictures.

Please let me know if there is anything special I should be doing that I am not. Specifically, I am wondering about water flow. I know they like really high water flow, but it seemed to be TOO strong and right on him so I moved it to just above him before I left about an hour ago. Where should the flow be pointed for him? I got a new Ice 2k gyre pump today that I am going to set up for him tomorrow as the pump I have on that side seemed too strong. Please let me know what you think.
Thank you! He looked much better this morning but still a little deflated, then this afternoon his stomach was coming out again. :(

C72FFD67-8699-4F37-98BF-D5FF8BFBE701.jpeg
When I got him, he was deflated and his stomach was coming out. Acclimating in bucket yesterday morning

24E2FA5A-6CE7-43C6-A7DF-5E66DD382428.jpeg
After acclimating for 2 hours I put him in the tank and he bunched up some but his stomach was still out. This was yesterday afternoon.

1FEF7544-0D0D-4036-9526-FC5822D6E602.jpeg

39541D23-F1FE-4843-AB5E-152F5B3EBDAD.jpeg

19AFEEAE-141E-4BAB-B662-7D5E03A5FC28.jpeg

This morning he looked much better! His stomach was in and he was puffed up more but still a little droopy on one side.

88EBD558-8F5A-449B-95EC-FE7AA6D2655A.jpeg
I adjusted the flow to be more on him but he didn’t like it so I fiddled with it throughout the day and nothing seemed to make it better so I finally adjusted the flow to go right above him and it seemed to help a little bit we will see in the morning. I will set up the new variable wave maker tomorrow too. Any advise on the best placement would be much appreciated. This is a photo of what he looked like at the end of the day. Sadder then this morning.

the tank is established about 9 months. Stable and everything seems happy. He is small, about 4-5 inches across. I will move him to a larger tank eventually. This is a 30 gallon, under stocked deep sand bed tank, only about 12 inches deep, I don’t remember the brand of light, but good light. Lots of live rock and a couple of zoos and soft corals.
Please help! I really want him to be happy.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, which vendor did you get it from? I’d be inclined to order one.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hea7her

hea7her

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I was closer to help. You could check the local club pages here to see. Perhaps you could find some kind of antibiotic at petco even if it’s not cipro. @OrionN is the real expert.
Thank you. I have him in the hospital tank. He looks awful. we will see. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks again everyone.

Upvote 0

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I saw this thread too late! I could've supplied you some if you were willing to make the drive to LA. Sorry it didn't make it. Since you're in Irvine, you should check out Seaside Tropical in Huntington Beach. They had a TON of mag's just a couple weeks ago, and the prices are only about 70-90, cheaper than LA :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hea7her

hea7her

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I saw this thread too late! I could've supplied you some if you were willing to make the drive to LA. Sorry it didn't make it. Since you're in Irvine, you should check out Seaside Tropical in Huntington Beach. They had a TON of mag's just a couple weeks ago, and the prices are only about 70-90, cheaper than LA :)
Thanks Jamie. I will remember that and check it out when I’m ready to try again, probably not for a year or so though. I think I want to set up a new 75 gallon eventually and get a mag for that, so have at least a year wait. This was pretty traumatic. I think I caused it by having the flow too high the first day in the tank. Can’t know for sure, but that is my guess. The antibiotics might not have worked regardless in that case. I don’t know. It’s a shame because he looked so good that first morning after getting him in the tank. Anyway, thank you so much for the offer. :) Very nice of you. :)

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.0%

Back