New MagTool DCSQ-90 Mini Skimmer - Unboxing (and compare to some of skimmers that I had used)

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

A new toy, MagTool DCSQ-90 Mini Skimmer, has arrived and installed for a week. Can't wait to share my new found. This Magtool DCSQ-90 skimmer has different design (newer model?) from the MagTool Nano skimmer. The ease of use and other features - adjusting skimming level and cleaning the skimmer, make this DCSQ-90 a clear winner for in-sump nano skimmer category, especially for AIO (all-in-one) tank.

I have a Fiji Cube 32G AIO tank. It fits well into my tank's protein skimmer chamber (with a minor fix: a 3mm cutoff from the 2 plastic height adjusting crews).

DCSQ-90 is the best nano skimmer for AIO that I have owned and experienced. At less than $100, it's a no brainer Best Buy!

Main features that I like about:
- High efficiency - dense and tiny bubbles with long contact time between decomposed compound and oxygen mixed (before bubbles burst), etc..Thanks to the new bubble plate and new flow design. So much waste collected
- Using 1 (one) hand (even with 2 fingers) is enough to easily tune the water level (turning the tube chamber or collection cup to right/left). You have to turn it (the tube chamber or collection cup) yourself to appreciate the smoothness - (relative to the Cadlight PLS-50 Elite II or similar design).
- Parts are separable into pieces conveniently and they are large enough for easy cleaning (broad neck).
- Very quiet and efficient DC pump - max. 9w
- Good quality with bargain price tag

**There is a smaller DCSQ-70 that will fit WaterBox Cube 20 or similar size AIO tanks

IMG_2982.JPG
IMG_2983.JPG

new "bubble incubator/reactor plate" design (MagTool Nano does not have this)
IMG_2987.JPG
IMG_2986.JPG

IMG_2989.JPG
IMG_2990.JPG

Insert the tube chamber
IMG_2991.JPG
IMG_2992.JPG

Match up the chamber openings to the base openings. DC pump.
IMG_2993.JPG
IMG_2994.JPG

I like a bit snug and anti-slippery. So, I wrapped it few rounds with Teflon tape. (NOTE: nothing wrong with the original design; just personal preference)
IMG_3005.JPG
IMG_3007.JPG

IMG_3028.JPG
IMG_3023.JPG

Note: for draining purpose, I turned the drain outlet facing toward inside the tank. You can hide the outlet from view by turn it to other side.
IMG_3015.JPG
IMG_3016.JPG

I raise the skimmer high above, just so I can enjoy watching the foaming in action
IMG_3013.JPG
IMG_3011.JPG

Sorry, it wouldn't let me rotate to vertical view.
See how easily I used 1 hand to tune the water level. As you can see only a tiny amount of micro-bubble escaped into the display tank while I was testing and filming this. I am using the foam trapper in my tank's skimmer chamber.

End

Last edited:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice review. I have need for 1... maybe even 2 of these. I have a 3 month old 40g breeder with a Fuji insert and I'm just setting up a DIY 40g cube with a custom made Tenecor insert. I have a Tunze intank skimmer and it works OK, but this one looks much better. The bubble control on the Tunze is'nt very good. A tiny adjustment makes a HUGE difference.

OP
OP
Haacheew

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction: I am not using the foam bubble trapper in Fiji Cube skimmer chamber. No need.

Some of skimmers that I have used in the course of my reefing life. ETSS, EuroReef, Reef Concepts Aerofoamer were few of the high-end protien skimmers back then. The invention and application of the needle wheel protein fractionation revolutionize the protein skimming technology. Skimmer size becomes a lot more compact, requires a lot less power consumption (that co-relates to noise, vibration,etc.), ease of use (installation, maintenance, etc..) and, utmost important, collects waste at high efficiency.

ETSS ReefDevil and it's waste collector, odor filter system (my first skimmer, 20 years+ ago)
Reefdevil.JPG

Euro Reef; Reef Concepts Aerofoamer (20 years ago)
IMG_2999.JPG

IMG_3001.JPG

AquaMaxx HoB 1.5; NF-1Nano; Cadlight PLS-50 Elite II
TC_00416.JPG

=================
End

Last edited:
OP
OP
Haacheew

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, it wouldn't let me rotate to vertical view. (Don't get your neck stiffened or injured, please. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:)
Pay attention to the amount of micro-bubble escaping into display tank if you are planning to do that. Too bad I didn't use the foam bubble trapper while filming. It doesn't look nice in display tank anyway.

Last edited:

vjl501tech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this fit on the regular rimmed tanks which also has the lip. rim and lip is about an inch or so. just wondering. Thank you.

OP
OP
Haacheew

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's designed for rimless tank. See photos. Hope they help.

IMG_3096 gap.jpg

IMG_3028 screws.jpg

Last edited:

Txoutlaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info.ive been looking into buying this skimmer for my 40B but wanted to see what others thought.

Morpheus77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

A new toy, MagTool DCSQ-90 Mini Skimmer, has arrived and installed for a week. Can't wait to share my new found. This Magtool DCSQ-90 skimmer has different design (newer model?) from the MagTool Nano skimmer. The ease of use and other features - adjusting skimming level and cleaning the skimmer, make this DCSQ-90 a clear winner for in-sump nano skimmer category, especially for AIO (all-in-one) tank.

I have a Fiji Cube 32G AIO tank. It fits well into my tank's protein skimmer chamber (with a minor fix: a 3mm cutoff from the 2 plastic height adjusting crews).

DCSQ-90 is the best nano skimmer for AIO that I have owned and experienced. At less than $100, it's a no brainer Best Buy!

Main features that I like about:
- High efficiency - dense and tiny bubbles with long contact time between decomposed compound and oxygen mixed (before bubbles burst), etc..Thanks to the new bubble plate and new flow design. So much waste collected
- Using 1 (one) hand (even with 2 fingers) is enough to easily tune the water level (turning the tube chamber or collection cup to right/left). You have to turn it (the tube chamber or collection cup) yourself to appreciate the smoothness - (relative to the Cadlight PLS-50 Elite II or similar design).
- Parts are separable into pieces conveniently and they are large enough for easy cleaning (broad neck).
- Very quiet and efficient DC pump - max. 9w
- Good quality with bargain price tag

**There is a smaller DCSQ-70 that will fit WaterBox Cube 20 or similar size AIO tanks

IMG_2982.JPG
IMG_2983.JPG

new "bubble incubator/reactor plate" design (MagTool Nano does not have this)
IMG_2987.JPG
IMG_2986.JPG

IMG_2989.JPG
IMG_2990.JPG

Insert the tube chamber
IMG_2991.JPG
IMG_2992.JPG

Match up the chamber openings to the base openings. DC pump.
IMG_2993.JPG
IMG_2994.JPG

I like a bit snug and anti-slippery. So, I wrapped it few rounds with Teflon tape. (NOTE: nothing wrong with the original design; just personal preference)
IMG_3005.JPG
IMG_3007.JPG

IMG_3028.JPG
IMG_3023.JPG

Note: for draining purpose, I turned the drain outlet facing toward inside the tank. You can hide the outlet from view by turn it to other side.
IMG_3015.JPG
IMG_3016.JPG

I raise the skimmer high above, just so I can enjoy watching the foaming in action
IMG_3013.JPG
IMG_3011.JPG

Sorry, it wouldn't let me rotate to vertical view.
See how easily I used 1 hand to tune the water level. As you can see only a tiny amount of micro-bubble escaped into the display tank while I was testing and filming this. I am using the foam trapper in my tank's skimmer chamber.

End
So you took the black foams of the skimmer? Is this a personal thing, or does it help with efficiency? Also I see your water level is just shy of the collection cup, wonder if that's my problem. How long did this take to break in?

OP
OP
Haacheew

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The foam ring is a bubble trapper of that I have no use since I put the skimmer it my tank protein skimmer chamber. Under normal circumstances, the micro bubble can not escape into the display tank. You can use it when you see micro bubble escape to your display tank. I don't think the foam ring help with efficiency. Break-in time took less than a day for me (I have a 4-year matured tank). This is the best and easiest to use nano skimmer so far. Get no doubts about it!

Refer to and follow Eat Sleep and Reef's Skimmer Tuning 101, best skimmer tuning tutorial in general.

This is my current skimmer setting.

Attachments

• 1686333978654.jpeg
    1686333978654.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 61

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back