New mantis shrimp

tclipse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to wait till I see him again until I get pictures, but I've got him in a 20G only stocked with a clown (he's definitely a smasher so probably won't go after fish, and I'm pretty sick of clownfish bites anyways).

Are there any other species that look like Gonodactylus glabrous? I am 99% sure that's what I have, he is bright orange with yellow legs... looked at the Roy's stomatopod list and the only other possibility I saw was a male O. japonicus, but he is only about 3" long.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any pics yet?

OP
OP
tclipse

tclipse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaaally awful ones. This is the best I have, I'll have to break out the macro next time I see him out.
2011-11-07_20-07-25_613.jpg

I can hear it popping away downstairs as I type this... not incredibly loud, but it sounds like someone is dropping a marble on a tile floor down there. A few tips from Roy Caldwell suggest it may be a female G. graphurus... and if I trust anyone with stomatopods, hes the dude.

OP
OP
tclipse

tclipse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I had turned my daylights on before letting her out of the bag, she's a really bright orange and it obviously didn't come out well

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i love mantis shrimp they r so cool looking and interesting personalities. i had a purple spotted mantis (Gonodactylus Smithii)for several years before she croaked :( she was the coolest thing ive ever had in my aquarium. i like them alot cause they r smart. i could see mines little brain at work lol. trying to find another purple spotted mantis shrimp for sell anywhere but seems to be impossible task. might have to settle for a diff type. roys list has mine as his fav for the aquarium

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back