New Marine tank question

twiggy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I got my first marine tank on Tuesday have tropical before hand I got the flex 123 I put live coral sea sand in there coral sea dry rock I've been using secham stability to start it off i did some test a 2 days ago using api test ph of 8.2 ammonia was 0.5 nitrate came out at 0.5 and nitrate was 5.0ppm tested it today it was ammonia of 0 and nitrate 0 and nitrate was 10ppm has the cycle stalled or are the tests not the best and should try others ones thanks

BF697E07-E8FB-4DAF-9C95-46C2B32617E2.jpeg

Dytrix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont quote me and im not the best one to answer as im new to this myself but it seems like theres nothing in your tank to convert the nitrate into nitrogen i use no3po4:x which has balanced out my nitrates not sure what your tank consists of but the no3po4:x is optimal with a skimmer

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I got my first marine tank on Tuesday have tropical before hand I got the flex 123 I put live coral sea sand in there coral sea dry rock I've been using secham stability to start it off i did some test a 2 days ago using api test ph of 8.2 ammonia was 0.5 nitrate came out at 0.5 and nitrate was 5.0ppm tested it today it was ammonia of 0 and nitrate 0 and nitrate was 10ppm has the cycle stalled or are the tests not the best and should try others ones thanks

BF697E07-E8FB-4DAF-9C95-46C2B32617E2.jpeg
Yes it is. You'll need fish to keep the cycle going.
dont quote me and im not the best one to answer as im new to this myself but it seems like theres nothing in your tank to convert the nitrate into nitrogen i use no3po4:x which has balanced out my nitrates not sure what your tank consists of but the no3po4:x is optimal with a skimmer
I would not use nopox in a new tank. Way to easy to drop phosphates and nitrates to 0 end up with dinoflaglets.

OP
OP
T

twiggy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks I wasn't sure as cycling a new tanks normally a long time wasn't expecting to see much just thought testing to see how it was going as it's new I wouldn't of thought of adding fish till cycled Would the secham stability not maybe start it going again. Also the tank is an all in one so all the filters heaters and that are behind the black plastic at the back which is why doesn't look like anything is in it

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only been 5 days?! In my extremely limited experience and knowledge I wouldn't do a thing for at least another week

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only been 5 days?! In my extremely limited experience and knowledge I wouldn't do a thing for at least another week
If its cycled its cycled. If one has the stuff one can skip the cycle. Thats what I did with my bosses tank. I set up on Friday fish Sunday

Last edited:

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its cycled its cycled. If one has the stuff one can skip the cycle. Thats what I did with my bosses tank. I set up on Friday fish Sunday
Fair enough! :cool:

A question for the OP so I can learn some more about this stuff. Did you introduce any form of ammonia to start the cycle? I don't know what that seachem product is. Is it bacteria?
Have you added ammonia since and tested to see if it is gone in 24 hours?

OP
OP
T

twiggy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough! :cool:

A question for the OP so I can learn some more about this stuff. Did you introduce any form of ammonia to start the cycle? I don't know what that seachem product is. Is it bacteria?
Have you added ammonia since and tested to see if it is gone in 24 hours?
Secham stabalisrbadds the beneficial bacteria that breaks down the ammonia nitirite and nitrate

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back