New Member From South Africa

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, new to the site. I'm a reefer from South Africa. Would love to see the difference in how the reefing hobby is done here as apposed to SA! My acc for my progress is @Reefer.SA on insta and @dhasvir on MASA( marine aquariums of South Africa)
Heres a few pics of my tank
IMG_20210430_140332.jpg

IMG_20210430_141224.jpg
Welcome!

Glad you joined and thanks for sharing photos! NICE!

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking tank, well done!

Greetings from a former resident of both Cape Town and Durban, now back in the US. (Was a pro musician in the orchestras in those two cities over 8 years).

My memory of the reefing scene in Durban back then was that most tanks were custom made by individual fish shops there and very few were imported from mainstream manufacturers due to the duties and shipping costs. Is that still the case? Also, there was a LFS owner in Durban who was basically constructing all-in-one tanks in his back room using either a glass or acrylic insert long before that became a commercial trend elsewhere (like Waterbox, etc)! Also, big difference between the US and RSA regards livestock is simply the relative cost and availablity of Caribbean species versus Indian Ocean species. That was many years ago, of course.

I'll never forget being at an LFS a Durban's Workshop (a mall created from a converted train station) and a local free diver had a bucket, yes, a bucket of Blue Koran juvenile Angels on him that he caught just off the beach and was trying to sell them to the shop. Needless to say one of those little guys went into my 75 gallon (280L?) tank for the duration of my time there. :)

Build threads:

Also look for the "Build Thread Contributor" badge under each user's avatar, as it links to that person's build.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back