New member. I nearly left the hobby, but decided to start over instead.

jpcrash1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome,hope all is well ^_^
So how long did the goby and pistol fend for themselves without you feeding tank out of curiousity ?
Some panic if going on holiday for 1 week but i think we dont give credit how adaptable our little fishy friends are

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
S

S1lverFox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to back and welcome to R2R!

A lot has certainly has changed - LEDs, DC pumps, montoring systems but most imprtantly I'd say our understanding of the ecology of reef ssytems has grown exponentially. One thing that hasn't changed is corals still need lighting and basic nutrients and moderate their environment (although we didn't understand this very well 15 years ago). Besides nitrogen and phosphorus you might also hear the term "Dissolve Organic Carbon" or DOC. An excellent introduction to the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems is Forest Rohwer's "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" (kindle ~$10, paperback ~$17). Here's some videos you may find informative also. The first one is a production of University of California on the research presented in FOrest Rohwer's book and is complentery to his book.

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

Awesome resources! Thanks very much for taking the time to reply with them.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I had a 110 gallon mixed reef up and running for nearly 15 years. The last year was a bit challenging. I was battling a really bad aiptasia infestation to the extent that I was prepping to do a tank reboot. Then, my tank sprung a leak. Luckily, it wasn't a full collapse. Only about 30 gallons leaked out before I managed to stabilize things.

I took my fish to a LFS for credit, and began to break down my system. I was feeling pretty discouraged and was ready to just take a break from the hobby for a time. Then, as I was removing my live rock I discovered a watchman goby, pistol shrimp combo still going strong in my tank. I don't think I'd seen them in over a year and assumed they were dead. They'd taken up residence at the back of my tank.

For whatever reason, this really invigorated me. So, instead of packing it in. I quickly set up an unused Biocube 29 I had in the basement to be a home for the shrimp and goby. I thought about going smaller for a while, so I invested in some upgrades for the Biocube (Intank media baskets, Steve's LED lighting upgrade, skimmer, ATO). That's still a work in progress, but along the way I somehow managed to buy a Waterbox Reef 220.6. (My wife made me do it. LOL)

Long story short, as I prepare to start my Waterbox build, I'm discovering that a lot has changed in the hobby since my last build 15 years ago. I'm determined to learn from all my past mistakes and take the build in a slow, deliberate manner.

Cheers!
Welcome! What a great story!!!!

Glad you have BBA - Bounce Back Ability. This hobby really requires it. That had to be really challenging going thru all you went thru, but yes things have really changed and improved thru the years. Smart to take slow and patient approach - this is a hobby where usually the only things that happen fast lead to bad things

Have you considered starting your build thread(s - perhaps one for each tank)? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you on the smaller tank everything moved into, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread(s) and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I had a 110 gallon mixed reef up and running for nearly 15 years. The last year was a bit challenging. I was battling a really bad aiptasia infestation to the extent that I was prepping to do a tank reboot. Then, my tank sprung a leak. Luckily, it wasn't a full collapse. Only about 30 gallons leaked out before I managed to stabilize things.

I took my fish to a LFS for credit, and began to break down my system. I was feeling pretty discouraged and was ready to just take a break from the hobby for a time. Then, as I was removing my live rock I discovered a watchman goby, pistol shrimp combo still going strong in my tank. I don't think I'd seen them in over a year and assumed they were dead. They'd taken up residence at the back of my tank.

For whatever reason, this really invigorated me. So, instead of packing it in. I quickly set up an unused Biocube 29 I had in the basement to be a home for the shrimp and goby. I thought about going smaller for a while, so I invested in some upgrades for the Biocube (Intank media baskets, Steve's LED lighting upgrade, skimmer, ATO). That's still a work in progress, but along the way I somehow managed to buy a Waterbox Reef 220.6. (My wife made me do it. LOL)

Long story short, as I prepare to start my Waterbox build, I'm discovering that a lot has changed in the hobby since my last build 15 years ago. I'm determined to learn from all my past mistakes and take the build in a slow, deliberate manner.

Cheers!
Welcome to R2R!!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back