New member - My (unlucky) short reefing experience so far!

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world Adam. Glad you are getting on top of the problem and I hope your display tank soon looks like a fish home. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community!!

Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, hope you are well!

New to reefing, coming over from discus. My tank is 400L which has been running for about 4 months now. Two months in when slowly adding some fish i was struck down with Marine Velvet and was way to late to the party by the time i realised/learnt what it was. I have spent hours and hours reading up on Velvet and have learnt a lot. I now have a 3 tank QT setup in the garage with all meds on hand. Never again do I want to experience Velvet.

76 days fallow is (FINALLY!) over tomorrow. My soft corals are surviving but they are not as happy as they were when fish were pooing on them. I have 2 Clowns, a Chromis and a Blue Tang that have been Copper Power, Metro and Prazi treated using @Humblefish 's QT schedule. All looking healthy and happy ready to go back into the DT tank tomorrow. It took everything I had not to put them in the DT today (being Sunday).

I bought the Blue Tang (because they are awesome and my kids love finding Nemo) mainly to test out the theory that everyone kept telling me, that a Blue Tang will always have Ich. After all the reading i have done I cannot understand how people keep saying this as its a parasite (that can't fly more than 10ft). Fallow is a long time and QT is hard when it comes to fighting the temptation to put them in your DT straight away, but fallow is so much longer LOL.

All my research usually leads me to Reef2Reef so i figured it was time to sign up.

Look forward to future chats!

Adam
Hi Adam and Welcome! Glad you joined. Sorry you had to deal with Velvet (sad)

We are a Disney family to and had to have Nemo and Dori in our tank. With your new processes, you are less likely to have marine ich sneak in. Healthy fish including tangs can fight off ich - there is no QT copper power, metro or prazi stations out in the wild for fish to go to hospital for treatment (giggle)

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, hope you are well!

New to reefing, coming over from discus. My tank is 400L which has been running for about 4 months now. Two months in when slowly adding some fish i was struck down with Marine Velvet and was way to late to the party by the time i realised/learnt what it was. I have spent hours and hours reading up on Velvet and have learnt a lot. I now have a 3 tank QT setup in the garage with all meds on hand. Never again do I want to experience Velvet.

76 days fallow is (FINALLY!) over tomorrow. My soft corals are surviving but they are not as happy as they were when fish were pooing on them. I have 2 Clowns, a Chromis and a Blue Tang that have been Copper Power, Metro and Prazi treated using @Humblefish 's QT schedule. All looking healthy and happy ready to go back into the DT tank tomorrow. It took everything I had not to put them in the DT today (being Sunday).

I bought the Blue Tang (because they are awesome and my kids love finding Nemo) mainly to test out the theory that everyone kept telling me, that a Blue Tang will always have Ich. After all the reading i have done I cannot understand how people keep saying this as its a parasite (that can't fly more than 10ft). Fallow is a long time and QT is hard when it comes to fighting the temptation to put them in your DT straight away, but fallow is so much longer LOL.

All my research usually leads me to Reef2Reef so i figured it was time to sign up.

Look forward to future chats!

Adam
Welcome to R2R!!!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back